Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Got gapped by a 335i M Sport

I have an S280 Fiesta ST sitting between 280-290whp on 92 octane. Have done quite a few runs with people on the freeway and hadn't lost yet. I had a 335i pass me at 100mph and waved him back to line up and he obliged. Knowing that they're 300 crank hp and it was a 4-door and very heavy I figured it was going to be easy. He also didn't look modded. We did a '1-2-3' and went and I pulled on him immediately, with him falling back so his front bumper was even with my rear. Then he started reeling me in and by the time he was passing me I felt like I was standing still. Anyways, we talked afterwards and he said he was just stage 1 and some other goodies making ~400whp. He had the N54 twin-turbo. I was very surprised at how easily he screamed past me!

Anyone else get destroyed by a surprising ride?

My E85 plans have been moved to NEXT MOD due to this event :ROFLMAO:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Coming back from golfing on two occasions, a fairly new Mustang tried to pass but couldn't and the other was a BMW who gave up when we approached a slight uphill bend! These people obviously don't know much if anything about ST's and need to learn more about their own cars!

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I have an S280 Fiesta ST sitting between 280-290whp on 92 octane. Have done quite a few runs with people on the freeway and hadn't lost yet. I had a 335i pass me at 100mph and waved him back to line up and he obliged. Knowing that they're 300 crank hp and it was a 4-door and very heavy I figured it was going to be easy. He also didn't look modded. We did a '1-2-3' and went and I pulled on him immediately, with him falling back so his front bumper was even with my rear. Then he started reeling me in and by the time he was passing me I felt like I was standing still. Anyways, we talked afterwards and he said he was just stage 1 and some other goodies making ~400whp. He had the N54 twin-turbo. I was very surprised at how easily he screamed past me!

335s are fast, no shame there

3 series Bimmers are renowned for how detuned their engines come stock. i say "renowned" and not "notorious" b/c from what i've been told the transmissions that they're paired to are tanks.

BMW 3 series twin turbos might be the easiest turn key modded cars on the market. I can't think of another car that just needs a tune, grippy tires and...that's it. that said if you break a BMW, might as well buy another BMW with the cost of parts and labor.

100% with @dhminer. any Bimmer is at a different level. wouldn't want a beer with 99% of the people who drive em though. lol.

I used to have a 6MT 335xi with the N54, looked 100% stock from the outside apart from the blacked out trim and OEM wheels and the stainless exhaust tips from the aftermarket exhaust. It was very unassuming, but with FBO stage 2 on E60, I was pushing mid-400s to all four wheels for HP and torque. They can be stupid quick; mine launched like crazy. I ended up selling it to buy a GT350 when the wastegates started to go. I miss that car, but I don't miss the repair bills. The N54 is a great engine if you ignore the water pump, the coil packs, the injectors, the wastegates, the VANOS solenoids, and the various gaskets and seals... But it was my first turbo car, and because of that, part of the reason I ended up buying a FiST.

20180324_181804.jpg

VirtualDyno (not that it's accurate) of an old datalog I found
335.PNG

Last edited:
having had an M car previously, and several friends with various iterations of them - they all seemed to have some fragility issues with the engines - and UBER expensive repairs and/or time-consuming repairs. Got much worse when modding them at all. I had very poor interactions with BMW NA - had issues with a stock engine, stock computer car - It was 'obvious' to them that the lowering springs caused the oil pump to fail. Required counsel to sort out. Wont ever buy another one due to how NA office chose to approach the issue.

The non-M cars seemed to have less of such issues, but yeah, still costly to go fast with them.