Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Got The Boost Gauge In

Got the boost gauge installed and working last night. The pod is from a guy on eBay. It's decent quality, 3D printed. The contour matched the factory pillarpretty well. But the inter depth of the pod is very shallow, so I hacked out the back so looking in from the windshield looks pretty terrible. I contacted the seller last night and he's going to update teh desogn for me and make it deeper, so I'll be getting another one.

Underhood, I used Whoosh's boost tap reference, and the gauge is a full sweep stepper motor so it comes with a MAP sensor.

Attachments

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Got the boost gauge installed and working last night. The pod is from a guy on eBay. It's decent quality, 3D printed. The contour matched the factory pillarpretty well. But the inter depth of the pod is very shallow, so I hacked out the back so looking in from the windshield looks pretty terrible. I contacted the seller last night and he's going to update teh desogn for me and make it deeper, so I'll be getting another one.

Underhood, I used Whoosh's boost tap reference, and the gauge is a full sweep stepper motor so it comes with a MAP sensor.
Can you link the seller and keep us updated with the design revision? And also provide a link to the boost gauge you used? I may be interested in this same install. Where did you end up tapping for the boost gauge backlight?

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #3
Can you link the seller and keep us updated with the design revision? And also provide a link to the boost gauge you used? I may be interested in this same install. Where did you end up tapping for the boost gauge backlight?
Used your proposed location for lighting! I tapped at the button backlight for the seat heater button. So the gauge will always be illuminated, and it will dim a bit when the headlights are turned on. The switched source power I got from the interior fuse panel behind the glovebox, using an add-a-circuit in the rear wiper fuse location (took my rear wiper off anyway)

Here is a link to the current pillar pod. If you have a very shallow gauge it will be fine. I'll update on the deeper piece. If it's anything like this one, it'll take almost a month to get to me though :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Pillar-G...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The gauge is an Autometer 5959, ES series full sweep, stepper motor gauge.

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-boost-vac-30-in-hg-30-psi-fse-es.html

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Used your proposed location for lighting! I tapped at the button backlight for the seat heater button. So the gauge will always be illuminated, and it will dim a bit when the headlights are turned on. The switched source power I got from the interior fuse panel behind the glovebox, using an add-a-circuit in the rear wiper fuse location (took my rear wiper off anyway)

Here is a link to the current pillar pod. If you have a very shallow gauge it will be fine. I'll update on the deeper piece. If it's anything like this one, it'll take almost a month to get to me though :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Pillar-Gauge-Pod-52mm-or-60mm-fits-Ford-Fiesta-ST-2013-2019-TG-tech-Auto/324003953148?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The gauge is an Autometer 5959, ES series full sweep, stepper motor gauge.

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-boost-vac-30-in-hg-30-psi-fse-es.html
Awesome, thanks for the links. I am glad that location worked out!

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #7
Ok, so I got the order in for the revised version of the gauge pod. The mounting depth will be increased to 57mm (2.25") which was a measurement I provided. So it seems, if you go to the eBay item and contact the seller and ask him about custom dimensions he seems likely to accommodate.

As a side note, last night I contacted Lo-Tek gauges about a pillar for our cars. I have one of their dual pod replacement pillar trims in my Tacoma and it's pretty good quality. They were not interested. Strange considering they make pillars for the SVT Contour and the Merkur XR4ti (which I owned one of for years.......sooo many mods on that car, but another story..). It seems those 2 cars are way more obscure than our FiST's. Worth a try anyway.

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #8
Awesome, thanks for the links. I am glad that location worked out!
Yeah, thanks again. And thanks for the rear wiper circuit idea. Perfect spot.

Also, to anyone wanting to do something similar, there is a nice grounding location right above the driver side kick panel. Just remove the 10mm bolt and add your ground wire ring terminal. Easy peasy.

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #9
Alright, little update. I already got the new gauge pod. Crazy cause the first took 5 weeks from Taiwan (the literal slow boat from China). He must have decided to ship air this time.

Anyway, the new pod is nice and deep. Even deeper than I needed really but it’s got plenty of room for the wiring and plug which I routed inside this time so it’s much cleaner. The material and finish of the pod is far from stock looking so it doesn’t have a nice blended look but it’s fine.

Until I want a water temp gauge......

Attachments

OP
New_Daily
Thread Starter #10
Just in case anyone might get one of these gauge pods, my recommendation before you install it, apply a thin layer of JB weld or other epoxy to some parts on the inside. Especially around the opening for the gauge (on the inside surface, not on the lip of the actual opening). Since it’s 3D printed the material splits kinda easily. Especially since on my first one I ran 1 layer of electrical tape around my gauge to proceed extra friction and squeeze to keep it in place. That single layer cause it to split. This time I applied epoxy before hand and with tape on the gauge it stayed together fine and holds the gauge firmly.