Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grease strut mounts?

DangerMouse

I am installing bilstein struts/ shocks with swift springs finally after a year of trying to get them.

I have all new parts for the struts, do I need to grease the top rubber piece the top mount sits on?

I want to get them assembled tomorrow so it will be ready to go next weekend when I can swap them over.

Thanks.

While you’re doing this I would replace all stock junk with Powerflex where you can 👍

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #3
While you’re doing this I would replace all stock junk with Powerflex where you can 👍
I have powerflex spring pads for the rear but where else related to the shocks and struts?

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #5
So no one know about greasing the contact points on the spring or top mount? I was looking at the new strut bearing and man they are cheap. Made of plastic and lots of noise/resistance while twisting them. Hopefully they just need to be broken in. Be nice if there was an upgrade available.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #6
Figured I would update for anyone else curious. After doing many googles, I did not use grease. I was hoping to get away without using spring compressors to put the swifts on the bilstein b8, but the b8 are much shorter so I broke down and bought the harbor freight special. They are not the ideal spring compressors for our car. I would have preferred the smaller hook type rather than the large end with safety pins. I actually had to remove the safety pins and then do it, otherwise they wouldn't come off the spring.

The first spring took 3 tries to get it right cause once it was on the spring compressors wouldn't come off. Second one went together in 2 minutes once I knew exactly where to put the giant spring compressors, what a pain HA.

Now to get them on the car.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Figured I would update for anyone else curious. After doing many googles, I did not use grease. I was hoping to get away without using spring compressors to pbought the harbor freight special. Now to get them on the car.
You need a military friend! I am lucky and only drive 30 miles to take mine on base and use the auto hobby shop strut compressor. You're not too far from Great Lakes (Navy) and an Army base just south of it (forgot the name, it WAS 1982...lol) Oh wait, I looked and it's 70 miles.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #8
You need a military friend! I am lucky and only drive 30 miles to take mine on base and use the auto hobby shop strut compressor. You're not too far from Great Lakes (Navy) and an Army base just south of it (forgot the name, it WAS 1982...lol) Oh wait, I looked and it's 70 miles.
That would be nice. I've been down there before by the base but yea not really practical. I'll get it done eventually. I do everything on my car myself alone. Except when I had the exhaust fixed. Would be nice to have help once in awhile.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
when I put Koni yellows on my volvo ft and bk, I never lubricated the spring seats. Nor the heavy duty sway bars' bushings either.

Interested in your feedback on these. I’ve got the Swifts and will be getting Bilsteins and some Powerflex bushings at some point in the next few months. The install guide for front Bilsteins I’ve put on an Evo and BRZ have you remove the bump stops, as there’s an internal one. Are the Fiesta Bilsteins the same?

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #11
Interested in your feedback on these. I’ve got the Swifts and will be getting Bilsteins and some Powerflex bushings at some point in the next few months. The install guide for front Bilsteins I’ve put on an Evo and BRZ have you remove the bump stops, as there’s an internal one. Are the Fiesta Bilsteins the same?
From what I could find online, we use the bump stops. Which is what I did. Hopefully it doesn't cause issue. I should be able to throw them on this weekend or early next week. I've been busy with home repairs and haven't had time to work on the car.

the duke

Does anyone with a shop manual know if new tophats require any sort of grease? I've got new OEM hardware.

Sam4

This is where I'm going this afternoon. I've got chattering which may be the top hat mount - if I remember from Bilstein install, it's nothing too substantial, plastic, and maybe ball bearings? Looking at sway bar and endlinks, and maybe BG fluid tranny change.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is where I'm going this afternoon. I've got chattering which may be the top hat mount - if I remember from Bilstein install, it's nothing too substantial, plastic, and maybe ball bearings? Looking at sway bar and endlinks, and maybe BG fluid tranny change.
So what was it? I'm now getting noise from what I now believe is the strut/ Spring and possible Mount itself.

Sam4

So what was it? I'm now getting noise from what I now believe is the strut/ Spring and possible Mount itself.
I got so many noises - damn car sounds like 65yo me....yes those top hats/mounts/whatevers were deformed and beat up. I also dis-believe in Powerflex - went back to oe rear mounts - complete silence. On another note - clutch parts and exhaust have arrived, Clarke tranny (next week fingers crossed)...Yeah - I should just buy the black ST advertised for 10K. Somewhere I've seen custom top mounts, about $150 a side.

There's nothing in the manual to that effect.
Not top hats, but found this and having trouble understanding the sentence. "Top and sides of the outermost part"? Would that be greasing both sides of the rim that is sandwiched by the spring and the top hat bearing?

1696267587795.png

Not top hats, but found this and having trouble understanding the sentence. "Top and sides of the outermost part"? Would that be greasing both sides of the rim that is sandwiched by the spring and the top hat bearing?

View attachment 58247
I'll bet the writer for that instruction was likely not from the US. Anyways, I personally like to apply a very small amount of thick waterproof bearing grease on any suspension part where there could be motion, binding or squeaking when the suspension articulates. So a small wipe at #8, in between the flat surfaces of #4 and #3, as well as the main contact points between #3 and #2. I always grease contact surfaces of poly sway bar bushings too, cuz if they're dry, they'll squeak and that's anoying!

I grease all shock, strut, eccentric and control arm bolts too, because it prevents corrosion and makes removal and replacement quick and easy in years to come.

Here's the thing about a springs; they don't just compresses, they also rotate. That's why they make stainless thrust bearings you can put in between the spring and #4 or #3. If those surfaces are dry or otherwise immoveable, the spring rotation can cause binding, which makes the initial small suspension movements stiffer or harsher. When rotational pressure becomes too great, the bearing surfaces release, and then it can make a 'pop' or chatter noise and/or damage the bearing surface. Grease on the spring/top bearing contact points can reduce this, or better yet, replace #4 with an actual stainless steel thrust bearing like below:

spring thrust bearing.jpg

I've been looking to find thrust bearings like the above for this car too, because in the past I've installed bearings like this on my motorcycle suspension at rebuild times, and it really adds to the plushness of your suspension. Small sharp bumps are soaked by the spring as opposed to transmitted to the sprung chassis. If anyone's found a source for these bearings, please advise, cuz I'm about to do this same suspension swap job on my Fiesta....

I've found a bunch on Summit Racing and one in particular on Jeg's that sort of encloses the bearing cage a little bit to REDUCE the amnt of dirt that can get in, but best yet would be some way to put an O-ring inside and outside the sandwich. Apparently not that easy. Here's the Jeg's version. Don't just buy it, I've not figured out the correct size OD/ID, will pull some springs tonight and measure:
Jeg's Coilover caged thrust bearing

Looks like Summit Racing has the biggest selection and hopefully sizes for our applications!

Last edited: