Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grinding Noise In Neutral (Ford Denies Problem Exists)

So let me preface this by saying my car is 4 months old and has 8,000 miles on it. Yes, that is more than norm but not when you are in outside sales in Houston. I initially took my car to the local dealer to fix the squeaky clutch pedal, look for a radio update and change my oil. This was around the 7,000 mile mark. Shortly after my car started making a terrible grinding noise when you start it cold in the morning and throughout the day. This only happens when the clutch is NOT depressed. So around 8,000 miles I took it back to the dealership to have them look at it. It has now been over 2 weeks and I get a call yesterday that my car is ready. I ask if they fixed the issue and they told me that they did not. I told them I'm not going to take delivery of the car until the issue is resolved.

Today on the way home from work I stopped by there and they told me that Ford has not authorized them to inspect the vehicle because the sound is normal. Everyone in the service department including the service manager agrees that the sound is NOT normal. The manager goes on to explain that he and his techs agree the sound is coming from the transmission and it sounds worse when the car is in the air. He told me that he thinks it might be the input shaft but the sound is coming form the the opposite end of the transmission. I have never raced anyone and I don't drive it like I stole it. They gave me a case number and a 1-800 number to call and complain. So now I'm waiting for my Ford CSR to call me back. I have a feeling that they are going to try to pull the old "customer damage" claim here. Which, in my opinion is not the case.

According to the service manager an engineer from Ford was at a different dealership inspecting a Fiesta ST and heard the same noise. He called his office and was instructed that the noise is normal.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Were you able to get it resolved?

*EDIT*
Link to the impromptu video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4v5e2g9cIw&feature=youtu.be

I'd take it to a different dealership honestly. They can't all be winners.

OP
Major_A
Thread Starter #4
The dealership is on my side. Ford is saying that it's "normal". Meaning that if the dealership did the work then Ford wouldn't pay them for the warranty work. So no dealership is going to do free work.

I've heard a throwout bearing go bad before and it whined more than anything. This thing is a loud rattle/grinding noise. It sounds like something has come apart internally.

The dealership is on my side. Ford is saying that it's "normal". Meaning that if the dealership did the work then Ford wouldn't pay them for the warranty work. So no dealership is going to do free work.

I've heard a throwout bearing go bad before and it whined more than anything. This thing is a loud rattle/grinding noise. It sounds like something has come apart internally.
I see you mentioned working with a CSM. I can check into your case if you send me the case number.

Meagan

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Keep us updated on this, scary to think Ford would turn down fixing a brand new ST with only 8k miles.

OP
Major_A
Thread Starter #7
Claim was denied by Mary at Ford, the noise is normal. I picked up the car, start it up and there's that GD grinding noise. I already have something working with a different dealership and I'm going to swing by there on Friday.

I was just getting stuff out of my car and noticed that someone in the service department is a giant effin idiot. No mention of this and I sure as F didn't do it.
20140827_182954.jpg

THANK YOU FORD SERVICE.

I'll keep this updated as I get information.

FocusMike

Claim was denied by Mary at Ford, the noise is normal. I picked up the car, start it up and there's that GD grinding noise. I already have something working with a different dealership and I'm going to swing by there on Friday.

I was just getting stuff out of my car and noticed that someone in the service department is a giant effin idiot. No mention of this and I sure as F didn't do it.
View attachment 1814

THANK YOU FORD SERVICE.

Are you able to get video of that noise?

OP
Major_A
Thread Starter #9
I'll see what I can do. The service manager offered to do that for Ford and they declined politely. It's raining here right now but I'll see if I can't get it uploaded in a day or two.

THANK YOU FORD SERVICE.

My offer still stands to look into your case. I'll need your VIN or case number.

Meagan

OP
Major_A
Thread Starter #11
Meagan - I saw your offer yesterday but I was so aggravated with Ford I didn't feel like hearing from another talking head at the time. The VIN is XXXXXXXXXX. I had Discount Tire/America's Tire whip up a quote for a new rim and tire that the dealership messed up. I'm still waiting to hear how that's going to be handled. I've personally ran into 4-5 people who drove my car while it was in the shop. I have no problem calling the entire dealership a liar if they want to drag their feet.

I am heading to Tommy Vaughn tomorrow to have their techs give it a listen while I'm at lunch. Since they are the area's certified ST dealer I'm curious to see what they say. If I don't get the issue resolved I will file for a Texas Lemon Law. I know this affects your JD Power ranking so make it right.

Sorry about the quality of the video. The noise was so loud this morning when I left for work I just whipped out my phone. Like I said the noise goes away when I push in the clutch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4v5e2g9cIw&feature=youtu.be

I am heading to Tommy Vaughn tomorrow to have their techs give it a listen while I'm at lunch. Since they are the area's certified ST dealer I'm curious to see what they say. If I don't get the issue resolved I will file for a Texas Lemon Law. I know this affects your JD Power ranking so make it right....
I recommend editing your post to remove your VIN.

I've updated your case with the info you've provided as well as the photo of the rim and the link to the video. Please keep me updated on the trip to the dealer from today.

Meagan

OP
Major_A
Thread Starter #15
Stopped by there and their service manager started the car and immediately said that noise wasn't normal. He called over a tech who said it wasn't normal. They told me to drop it off next week but I don't see the point. Ford will deny that a problem exists. Unless the area engineer has the ability to go listen to the car for 2 seconds I'm still stuck.

Stopped by there and their service manager started the car and immediately said that noise wasn't normal. He called over a tech who said it wasn't normal. They told me to drop it off next week but I don't see the point. Ford will deny that a problem exists. Unless the area engineer has the ability to go listen to the car for 2 seconds I'm still stuck.
I'm updating your case notes with this. If you do decide to head in next week, please let me know so I can contact your CSM about this.

Meagan

OP
Major_A
Thread Starter #17
Contact her cause I want it fixed. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.