Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GB Group Buy : Functional Rear Diffuser

Trader history for Noodles (0)

Ok so I know this has been a long time coming, but I have been searhing high and low for a company to make some quality, functional aero for the FiST. I convinced Lyfe motorsports to produce a functional rear diffuser for us. It will be 100% aluminum and fully chassis mount, tested and functional. The minimum for the buy is 10 people and the cost is $749 +shipping. They are ready to start immediately and as soon as all 10 have paid the diffusers will ship out 30 days later. We already have 3 people from the local SoCal RS/ST FB group onboard including myself. So who else wants some go fast bits?

1)
2)
3)
4)

Here are some pics of the one they just finished for the FoRS. The design will be very similar but made for the FiST

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

LT Berzerker

Can we get a look at the template (CAD, Photoshop, etc) of how the FiST diffuser will look?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #3
They don't have anything yet because no development has been started yet. Maybe someone more skilled with PS could do something with the pics. But i don't have that kind of skill.

Can we get a look at the template (CAD, Photoshop, etc) of how the FiST diffuser will look?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Like this one but with one exhaust cutout on the side instead of middle.

[video=youtube;_9R-K_GxFtc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9R-K_GxFtc[/video]

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #7
How hard did you search.
This company has had one in prototype/mockup/design phase for a few months.
Production expected to start this Month or April.
Most of their diffusers are in the sub $300 too.
I'd expect it to be half the price of "Lyfe"..

Yeah, you see the thing is that I wanted to give the community actual racecar parts that will be functional on the track. Not something designed with cardboard. Those may look nice and be cheap for all the hard parkers and stancebois, but they are just extra weight on the track.

Pete

I like the idea but I personally feel like it is way expensive. The front skid plate I got a while back was $350 with shipping from the skidplate guy. Yes there will be a bit more material for rear but $750 is a lot. I may give it a go on making my own as I made a front extension. After seeing what was done to make the skidplate and adding my own extension, I feel I could make a rear diffuser from aluminum. Granted I wouldn't be making it for other people so this is a good option for those who do not want to dive into such skills. It would help though if the company did at least a CAD drawing/templete to sell their product.

vega

Yeah, you see the thing is that I wanted to give the community actual racecar parts that will be functional on the track. Not something designed with cardboard. Those may look nice and be cheap for all the hard parkers and stancebois, but they are just extra weight on the track.

Its good to have a market for all. I absolutely agree a functional diffuser is great for the track.

Theres a demand for the people wanting parts for the "look". There's a reason why many car manufactures add non functional diffusers on their bumpers (Subi wrx, Mustang, BMW, etc..).

Functional diffusers are also expensive due to the amount of material needed, CNC time and the shipping costs.

SIDE NOTE: templates are usually made with cardboard, clay, and hell, even paper. That doesn't make it an inferior part.
Ideas start on paper, but it end up on CAD just like everything else.

wish you the best in your ventures.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I question how functional it will actually be without cutting a fair amount out of the rear bumper cover. I'd definitely want to see a rendering before I'd commit, but I'd be interested (and not in a hurry).

I question how functional it will actually be without cutting a fair amount out of the rear bumper cover. I'd definitely want to see a rendering before I'd commit, but I'd be interested (and not in a hurry).
Diffuser works based on delta air velocity which is achieves by flattening the rear underbody thus creating laminar flow, then the increase in volume between the ground and diffuser slows down the air creating a high pressure zone. That is to say that your aero gains come from having a smooth panel under the car moreso than having a sharp angle up at the end of the diffuser. I would think if done right it would start with a rounded section behind the torsion bar to smooth the flow and cover the car from side to side eliminating the air pocket that is behind the stock rear bumper. Honestly the exhaust would get in the way more than the rear bumper - it hangs lower.

In the least some CFD analysis should be provided to call this diffuser as 'functional'. A diffuser is one part of a system to reduce lift on a vehicle. Complements to this would include a front splitter or air dam to force more air over the top of the vehicle, flat under body to keep flow under the vehicle laminar, and lower side skirts to prevent mixing of the flow stream under the vehicle and the free stream air. The diffuser shown for the Focus RS is short, has a large radius of curvature, and multiple hard corners (assuming this is the final design and not a prototype).

Investigating into Lyfe Motorsports other projects I have no doubt they have experience with designing and implementing functional aero pieces for motorsports applications. However, they are being forced to work within the constraints of a road car and not a full blown race car. Adding this piece to a hatchback without supporting modifications should be taken to be an aesthetic piece.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Diffuser works based on delta air velocity which is achieves by flattening the rear underbody thus creating laminar flow, then the increase in volume between the ground and diffuser slows down the air creating a high pressure zone. That is to say that your aero gains come from having a smooth panel under the car moreso than having a sharp angle up at the end of the diffuser. I would think if done right it would start with a rounded section behind the torsion bar to smooth the flow and cover the car from side to side eliminating the air pocket that is behind the stock rear bumper. Honestly the exhaust would get in the way more than the rear bumper - it hangs lower.
You're missing my point. There's too little room to create any significant volume for a rear diffuser. Trimming the bottom of the bumper cover would help some, but with the spare tire cubby in the way, I doubt anything short of a plasma torch and a can of fix-a-flat is going to result in a functional diffuser on a FiST.

You're missing my point.. There's too little room to create any significant volume for a rear diffuser.
Actually I addressed that directly. Starting directly behind the rear axle gives you enough run - an angle change of up to 18 degrees over that last 16 inches is very doable and should prove effective.

I'm not sure why you think there is little volume? Our cars are pretty far off the ground.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Actually I addressed that directly. Starting directly behind the rear axle gives you enough run - an angle change of up to 18 degrees over that last 16 inches is very doable and should prove effective.

I'm not sure why you think there is little volume? Our cars are pretty far off the ground.
Take a look under your car - there's more there than you think. The bottom of the spare tire cubby is almost flush with the bottom of the rear bumper cover and it runs almost to the evap. canister, which is right behind the rear axle.

Interested but for it to be functional lots of testing would need to be done and I'd love to see the results is that what is driving this $750 price? The cost of properly testing the product etc and documenting results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Noodles
Thread Starter #19
Interested but for it to be functional lots of testing would need to be done and I'd love to see the results is that what is driving this $750 price? The cost of properly testing the product etc and documenting results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That is exactly what the cost is for. The design wont start until they know they have the ready to buy interest.

That is exactly what the cost is for. The design wont start until they know they have the ready to buy interest.

I have been asking Velox about this for a while now if they are going to make one cause I am interested in on. I would like to see a photo of a prototype or some data about it before I commit to buying one, but I am defiantly very interested.