Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Heat Wave and Performance

anticon

I'm actually kind of curious how my car will perform in this extreme heat. Is anybody else?

I noticed a very drastic lack of power due to heat soak. Just running through gears on slow acceleration (no spirited driving at all today) I had a very difficult time adjusting to the lack of power. My AP got messed up in the heat so no real numbers but it didn't overheat even with ac on

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

ronmcdon

had an interesting weekend doing a track event at times up to 104f. Car could maybe do 10 laps or so before overheating engine and heat soak was notable even with upgraded radiator, oil cooler and cp-e fmic. Sometimes could manage more laps if I kept the revs lower and stay out of 2nd gear more but that's no fun.

above 100f it's not even worth it being out there imo.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
had an interesting weekend doing a track event at times up to 104f. Car could maybe do 10 laps or so before overheating engine and heat soak was notable even with upgraded radiator, oil cooler and cp-e fmic. Sometimes could manage more laps if I kept the revs lower and stay out of 2nd gear more but that's no fun.

above 100f it's not even worth it being out there imo.
Interesting, its also why I could never figure out why they do tracks in SoCal in the Summertime when most our tracks are out in the Desert. They need to do nighttime events with lights. :D

Oh and as far as driving around in 115 degree heat hell no. I am inside in the
air con in weather like that.

ronmcdon

I thought having an oil cooler would make me invincible. I was definitely proven wrong, that or hopefully something didn't break.

ronmcdon

Interesting, its also why I could never figure out why they do tracks in SoCal in the Summertime when most our tracks are out in the Desert. They need to do nighttime events with lights. :D

Oh and as far as driving around in 115 degree heat hell no. I am inside in the
air con in weather like that.
I think Laguna Seca makes sense as a summer track as its close to the ocean. Sucks that it's more expensive. Heading out there next month, but that probably doesn't qualify as SoCal. Chuckwalla is the worst. I think they were having triple digit weather out in May already. I think it's generally risky to head out Jun to Aug, but even Sep and Oct kinda a crapshot.

maybe Sonoma not so bad with the heat either. hoping to make it out there maybe in the fall along with at least one trip to thunderhill. Have not been to either track.

but maybe more on topic really thinking about what I can do to further cool down the fiesta. meth injection might not be a bad idea although wondering if it's worth the hassle.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I think Laguna Seca makes sense as a summer track as its close to the ocean. Sucks that it's more expensive. Heading out there next month, but that probably doesn't qualify as SoCal. Chuckwalla is the worst. I think they were having triple digit weather out in May already. I think it's generally risky to head out Jun to Aug, but even Sep and Oct kinda a crapshot.

maybe Sonoma not so bad with the heat either. hoping to make it out there maybe in the fall along with at least one trip to thunderhill. Have not been to either track.

but maybe more on topic really thinking about what I can do to further cool down the fiesta. meth injection might not be a bad idea although wondering if it's worth the hassle.
Laguna Seca and Sonoma are awesome tracks. Seen a lot of great races at those tracks from Trans Am to Can Am to IMSA and SCCA. Yet to drive them, Thunderhill I cannot comment on but the Bay Area and NorCal guys seem to like it a lot.