Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hello everyone im new to the forum and wanted to get opinions.

Chris32

I got 3 inch after market exhaust for my 1.6liter fiesta st . Is this diameter to big for my motor?
. I was told 2.5 is the correct size without doing internal damage to the engine.. should I resend my 3 inch exhaust for 2.5?

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
As this is a turbo motor, there is no such thing as "too big" for an exhaust. I and many others run 3" exhausts in this car with both stock and upgraded turbos. IF it was a naturally aspirated motor, the exhaust can be tuned and sized (along with a catalytic converter) in order to have pressure waves that help with exhaust scavenging and flow.

Do not worry about it.

Welcome to the forums!

EDIT: If you also are running without a catalytic converter or an upgraded one, you may want to get the tune of your car adjusted to compensate: There is a potential to overspin the turbo since the air will flow faster/freer than the stock tune is setup for.

Last edited:
Welcome! And I echo all of kivnul's sentiments above, you'll be just fine with a 3" exhaust. Just know that there is a bottleneck that happens at the stock cat, which is I believe a 2.5" pipe. If you get an aftermarket cat, you just have to make sure your exhaust has the right pipe to match the diameter.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got 3 inch after market exhaust for my 1.6liter fiesta st . Is this diameter to big for my motor?
. I was told 2.5 is the correct size without doing internal damage to the engine.. should I resend my 3 inch exhaust for 2.5?
Please DO NOT take anymore advice from this individual who told you that. They should go out back and hit themselves in the head with a tack hammer because they are plus one chromosome.