Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help! Big turbo problems

Okay so in my previous post i talked about installing a gt2560r Garrett turbo to my fiesta, well i finally did it and my car is slower then shit... Now my turbo was supposedly new, it looks brand new, and it doesn't sound like its bad either.
I have a 16psi actuator by tial, and perhaps i didn't set the preload right, im barely making like 13 pounds of boost and I did have to pull on the actuator rod to get it onto the waste gate arm (not very much) but I did tug it over the arm thinggy. If my base pressure on actuator is 16 why am i only making 13psi of boost shouldn't it at least make 16 because thats the actuators base pressure (i think) I'll post a picture of the actuator but im pretty sure the actuator is rated for 16psi base.
It also sounds like its fluttering which could mean that the actuator is too loose and causing it to open and close?

OR maybe my turbos a POS and doesn't work, that doesn't seem like the case but maybe. I didn't buy it myself it was somewhat of a "gift" i should say.
Dizzy tuner said he doesn't like the Gt2560r and tial actuator which is nice to hear since it took my freaking HOURS to install. :rolleyes:

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Okay so in my previous post i talked about installing a gt2560r Garrett turbo to my fiesta, well i finally did it and my car is slower then shit... Now my turbo was supposedly new, it looks brand new, and it doesn't sound like its bad either.
I have a 16psi actuator by tial, and perhaps i didn't set the preload right, im barely making like 13 pounds of boost and I did have to pull on the actuator rod to get it onto the waste gate arm (not very much) but I did tug it over the arm thinggy. If my base pressure on actuator is 16 why am i only making 13psi of boost shouldn't it at least make 16 because thats the actuators base pressure (i think) I'll post a picture of the actuator but im pretty sure the actuator is rated for 16psi base.
It also sounds like its fluttering which could mean that the actuator is too loose and causing it to open and close?

OR maybe my turbos a POS and doesn't work, that doesn't seem like the case but maybe. I didn't buy it myself it was somewhat of a "gift" i should say.
Dizzy tuner said he doesn't like the Gt2560r and tial actuator which is nice to hear since it took my freaking HOURS to install. :rolleyes:
Time to wind the Turnbuckle a turn or two. DHminer has been having issues also* but has gotten better. I am on the ATP actuator with my Gen2 and it works fine. Never even touched it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

3mm of preload with the tial 16psi wga will make about 13-14psi i had the same issue when i first installed mine (side note i was the one who originally tested the tial wga with adam brunson a few years ago on my 2860) anyway you can increase preload or leave it alone and tune around it. with gate pressure making about 13psi you should have no issue maxing out the stock map and tip sensors. if you plan to run over 30psi id give it 1-1.5 more mm of preload.

OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #4
3mm of preload with the tial 16psi wga will make about 13-14psi i had the same issue when i first installed mine (side note i was the one who originally tested the tial wga with adam brunson a few years ago on my 2860) anyway you can increase preload or leave it alone and tune around it. with gate pressure making about 13psi you should have no issue maxing out the stock map and tip sensors. if you plan to run over 30psi id give it 1-1.5 more mm of preload.
Oh yah, wow barely had it closed, i saw a video on YouTube, probably should've asked the forum for help first 😂 I'll tighten it down and get back to you guys, thank you!

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I've been fighting the pre-load battle for a while. You can tune it at 13 PSI but it'll spool slightly slower than if you adjust it and get as close to 16 as you can. I'm on the 14 lb spring and if I hit 14-15 I'm not touching it again lol

OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #7
Hand vacuum pump's like this one are a great tool in setting crack pressure on internal wastegates.
Honestly im finally going to gave to do that, this is ridiculous 😂 i have to drop the turbo ever damn time to adjust it. I thought I adjusted the wastegate quite a bit but I barley gained 1psi of boost and thats like a 3rd gear pull. Also im only making 177hp now compared to my old FoMoCo turbo that was making 230

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Honestly im finally going to gave to do that, this is ridiculous 😂 i have to drop the turbo ever damn time to adjust it. I thought I adjusted the wastegate quite a bit but I barley gained 1psi of boost and thats like a 3rd gear pull. Also im only making 177hp now compared to my old FoMoCo turbo that was making 230
I had to crank up my pre load A LOT to hit close to spring pressure. I feel ya. It’s probably 7-8mm of pre load

I had to crank up my pre load A LOT to hit close to spring pressure. I feel ya. It’s probably 7-8mm of pre load
So did the extra preload fix the issue?
I just installed the s280 with the Turbosmart actuator and I'm getting 16lbs max on a base tune.
It's my first pro tune so I have no idea what's normal.

OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #10
I just installed the s280 with the Turbosmart actuator and I'm getting 16lbs max on a base tune.
Ok so I disconnected the vacumm line from my wastegate actuator to the boost control solenoid and i was making 24lbs i guess the base map of the tune is just extremely slow and laggy to start off with. And it will be tuned up from their. My actuator is working fine, and i put WAYY too much pre load, about 26psi of preload. Make sure your pre load is set correctly idk the exact specs of your actuator so i couldn't really tell you what to set your particular preload to. Just know that the base map is SLOW like prius slow, at least mine is from dizzy tune

dhminer

2000 Post Club
TBD as I’m re tuning with a new manifold as well as increased pre load. Still only 12.5 psi on 14 lb spring but I’m not fucking with it again until I install aux fuel in the spring.