Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help me price this possible ST (sorry, it's a truck) purchase

jeff

2000 Post Club
Some of you guys know I keep a project/beater or two on the side next to my Fiesta. Always great to have a car you don't feel bad about taking a sawzall to. In the last year or so I think I've sold 5 cars for fun, not really the money but just something to do that I love, getting to experience other cars. From my Prelude to my Cooper S to my first G1 Insight, all were bought, fixed, enjoyed, then sold at the right time. Since the new year I've also done a '04 Maxima and an '09 G8 GT.

Yeah, so 5 cars in the last year. Cumulative net profit on all is about $8000. Yahoo!

Anyhow long story short we're soon going to be getting a pop up camper and along with that investment we want an affordable truck that can pull the pop up but also serve as an all-around camping and gardening/supply vehicle, which I need often. A friend is selling his truck and I'm seriously thinking of buying it.

I'd appreciate if I had a few opinions on what it's worth. Book value only says so much because the market value on these types of trucks is much different. I'm usually good on valuing cars but the truck market is a whole other game. So take a stab and tell me what you think if you have time.

THANKS...

Specs:
2004 Dodge truck 1500
2WD
8' extended bed
4.7L V8
5 speed
Seats 6, this thing is huge
"ST" trim = bare bones, vinyl floor, roll up windows (funny what "ST" trim level means to different automakers...)
Has a few scratches but otherwise extremely clean
Everything works, cold A/C, etc., has a radio, that's about it
Has four new Yoko tires (2,000 miles on them)
Bedliner and hitch
And the kicker....37,001 miles

Truck owned by old guy who barely used it. I've driven it a good bit, it's super smooth and well maintained. Just rarely driven by the owner. Not rotting from age or anything, Georgia car all it's life, one owner. Paint still shines.

OK so tell me what you guys think this thing is worth, pretend you're selling it not buying it.

THANKS!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I could easily see some dealers due to the low mileage trying to sell that for $15,000.

Quick example my family in early 2010 bought a 2006 Ford ranger 2 door base model, manual transmission, 50,000 miles for $9,800 that was a really good deal.

$10,000 would be a very fair price on this truck. If it was an automatic and four-wheel drive $15,000 all day.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The owner might try to gouge you on the total 'rarity' thing of it being an NV 5 speed manual. LOL [driving]

Truthfully, I did not even realize that you could buy a manual in that truck, even the basest base model, even that late in model years.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Jeff...Just Remember....You can polish a Turd only so much. In the end its still a Turd* I Werked for the good old MOPAR. You do know how Mopar came about? It was a bunch of Rednecks sitting around a Mud hole drinking some Buds and driving a Dodge truck screaming "Give it MOPAR.....MOPAR!

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Around here the guy would be wanting $10,000 for it. But I found one locally, a 2005 SLT with 47,000 miles and still looking new inside and out for $6900.

Personally, I wouldn't drive a Dodge.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Thanks a bunch guys. This is helpful. Most of my car buddies locally are telling me they feel its worth around $9000. The guy was asking $8000, I offered him $6500 and he said deal so I'm gonna get it tomorrow.

Has 35,001 miles not 37,001 btw.

10 years from now the truck (if I still have it) will have racked up another 10,000 miles from sparing use bringing the total to 45,001. Assuming nothing breaks, which I feel strongly won't happen (not much to break and these tend to be sturdy from all the reviews I've read), I am positive in 10 years I can sell it for the same $$$ I'm buying it for or possibly more. Trucks hold their value really well, especially huge ones like this. I see this less as a vehicle purchase and more as an investment, one that I have to pay minimal tax and insurance on but get to use for camping, hauling, moving, and the occasional drive around town just because.

My wife named it....THE WHITE HORSE.

View: https://youtu.be/mlYJf6CJXV8

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
jeff gets another screaming deal on a great vehicle. Must be Tuesday. :p

Looks like it doesn't need anything, but I'm sure you'll find something cool to do to it. Needs a CB.
Thanks! Well, this one I'm not selling, it's for me (actually my wife wants it, it was her idea). I am gonna get some black racing stripes for the hood just to dress it up a bit since it's so boring. But that should be it. But who knows.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Well guys I did it, I bought the truck today, $6500, my 2nd "ST" ha ha ha, it even came with a tank of gas and a new set of wipers. Spent several hours machine buffing a few dozen scratches and detailing the interior, this thing almost looks like it's 2004 in the showroom.

I've had a "RAM MAN" hat sitting around for a year that I acquired, now that I own a Ram truck I'm keeping the hat in the truck, seems fitting.

Thanks again for the advice/encouragement.

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/the-white-horse/1616626822106.html]

https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/the-white-horse/1616626744984.html]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/the-white-horse/1616626827437.html]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/the-white-horse/1616626832559.html]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/the-white-horse/1616626841592.html]
[/URL]
https://public.fotki.com/greentrees2/the-white-horse/1616626836887.html]
[/URL][/URL]

View: https://youtu.be/oHzTnTvGmuY

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
A rare find in ANY condition! [wink]

But yes, that truck could not be in much better condition for those years, even though it is such low miles.

It's a given that jeff will end up making it look, and maybe even run, better than it did rolling off of the showroom floor. [thumb] LOL

Fiestig

$6500-$7k is right on the money for what I would have offered regardless of the low miles. We have gone through many Dodges on our ranch in ND and we had a (at the time) new 2005 (4wd) with a 4.7 as our feeder truck while it lasted, which was only 2 years. Granted life is rough as a cake feeder. The 4.7 isn't amazing by any stretch, but for hauling in general or camping... 6500ish is a good buy for the truck.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
It is a amazing deal trucks are very expensive in the southeast. Remember guys no salt.

When you have a truck that's never seen salt with low miles they are worth some money. $6,500 would get you a Ford ranger with 200,000 miles on it seriously a amazing deal.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Thanks guys!

It is a amazing deal trucks are very expensive in the southeast. Remember guys no salt.

When you have a truck that's never seen salt with low miles they are worth some money. $6,500 would get you a Ford ranger with 200,000 miles on it seriously a amazing deal.

Yeah being in the southeast with me you get it. Looking on CL and FB and Autotrader, trucks this age with 200k on the odometer are about $10,000. I am confident I could make several thousand if I sold this one right now.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The fact that this thing is a stick is so cool. Looking forward to seeing the exterior after the paint correction. Killer deal, and the fact that your wife drives stick is awesome too.

Any idea what the CEL is for? I found that my old, low mileage beater needed all the wheel speed sensors replaced (rust related - so hopefully not your issue) and two O2 sensors replaced (probably from sitting so long).

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
The fact that this thing is a stick is so cool. Looking forward to seeing the exterior after the paint correction. Killer deal, and the fact that your wife drives stick is awesome too.

Any idea what the CEL is for? I found that my old, low mileage beater needed all the wheel speed sensors replaced (rust related - so hopefully not your issue) and two O2 sensors replaced (probably from sitting so long).
Yeah the stick is crazy out of nowhere and cool. No CEL, that's just the start up lights. The truck drives like new. It has been driven a good bit recently by PO, was used for some city-city moving and such so it's had some exercise.