Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help Please- Low Boost #s after Hybrid turbo install

Hi forum,

Installed F4545 hybrid turbo a few weeks ago. Boost builds like stock but maxes out at 12.5ish psi..

I've tightened all hose clamps (Intake, FMIC/charge pipe, near throttle body) and some bolts (BPV, downpipe). I've done a boost leak test with smoke (homemade smoke maching) and found no leaks.

My AFR numbers are normal when not on boost (14.3-14.7).

WGA is non-oem and set to 11lbs.

I have a base tune from Tune+ running but no revisions, yet.

I'm a newbie to automotive/mechanical work. I'm surprised I got the turbo installed and everything running, lol. Been doing a fair bit of searching and learning/reading on the forum since the install and I'm at a loss as to what to do next!

Any help would be appreciated :)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Hi forum,

Installed F4545 hybrid turbo a few weeks ago. Boost builds like stock but maxes out at 12.5ish psi..

I've tightened all hose clamps (Intake, FMIC/charge pipe, near throttle body) and some bolts (BPV, downpipe). I've done a boost leak test with smoke (homemade smoke maching) and found no leaks.

My AFR numbers are normal when not on boost (14.3-14.7).

WGA is non-oem and set to 11lbs.

I have a base tune from Tune+ running but no revisions, yet.

I'm a newbie to automotive/mechanical work. I'm surprised I got the turbo installed and everything running, lol. Been doing a fair bit of searching and learning/reading on the forum since the install and I'm at a loss as to what to do next!

Any help would be appreciated :)
This sounds quite normal for a very first "base tune" on a new turbo. Definitely check with your tuner right away though to confirm, I'm sure they will want to see a datalog before cranking up the boost. It may take a good half dozen or more revisions before you will be where you should be.

OP
Ryguy1982
Thread Starter #4
If you need a hand trouble shooting, let me know.

All I can think of is WGA preload but as it stands, it sounds like your tuner just set the boost at waste gate pressure to avoid any issues for the first iteration of the tune.
Hey, thanks man. I really just am learning about this stuff. This is helpful. The wastegate or tune were the only things I could think of.. Everything hardware-wise seems to be good.

So, I'm supposed to send datalogs for my tune, should I just send the datalogs as is??

OP
Ryguy1982
Thread Starter #5
This sounds quite normal for a very first "base tune" on a new turbo. Definitely check with your tuner right away though to confirm, I'm sure they will want to see a datalog before cranking up the boost. It may take a good half dozen or more revisions before you will be where you should be.
Okay, phew! Good to know...I'll send datalogs and go from there.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Hey, thanks man. I really just am learning about this stuff. This is helpful. The wastegate or tune were the only things I could think of.. Everything hardware-wise seems to be good.

So, I'm supposed to send datalogs for my tune, should I just send the datalogs as is??
Just start the data log around 2500 rpm (be driving in third or fourth at 2500 rpm) and then hit record on the AP and mash the throttle (wide open throttle, WOT) and hit rev limit. Let off the gas, coast and press stop logging.

Send that file!

OP
Ryguy1982
Thread Starter #7
Just start the data log around 2500 rpm (be driving in third or fourth at 2500 rpm) and then hit record on the AP and mash the throttle (wide open throttle, WOT) and hit rev limit. Let off the gas, coast and press stop logging.

Send that file!
Okay! Thanks for the pointers (y):geek: we'll get this thing tuned and rippin'!

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Did Adam send you the information about the process? He's pretty explicit about the details?

OP
Ryguy1982
Thread Starter #10
Did Adam send you the information about the process? He's pretty explicit about the details?
Yeah, I think he did.. but I don't remember reading how the base tune would provide low boost and significantly reduced performance. So, I think I was confused when I experienced that. I have now had one revision and performance is a bit better.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Yeah, I think he did.. but I don't remember reading how the base tune would provide low boost and significantly reduced performance. So, I think I was confused when I experienced that. I have now had one revision and performance is a bit better.
Same thing just happened to me - maxed out at like 13.3 psi boost on the first tune revision. Bit of a shocker going from the Stratified X-47 tune I had loaded!

I've sent off logs and I hope that the tuning process is a speedy one with Tune+ - I've got a tank of 91 octane, next one will be 94 and then a 94 + Race gas mix (for shits and giggles).

OP
Ryguy1982
Thread Starter #12
Same thing just happened to me - maxed out at like 13.3 psi boost on the first tune revision. Bit of a shocker going from the Stratified X-47 tune I had loaded!

I've sent off logs and I hope that the tuning process is a speedy one with Tune+ - I've got a tank of 91 octane, next one will be 94 and then a 94 + Race gas mix (for shits and giggles).
Yeah, I bet that was a shock. Did you purchase the unlimited tune package?

OP
Ryguy1982
Thread Starter #14
So, we hit a wall wit tuning because my actuator is not holding the waste gate shut long enough. Adam recommended I order a turbosmart unit and his custom spring. So I did that this morning.

My access port shows low hp/tq numbers, still, which is disappointing (240tq/225hp). I am on E30 with the hybrid turbo (+ intake, downpipe, ported manifold).

How is it that I'm seeing such low numbers??? The car felt way faster at the top-end on our 3rd tune revision. A completely different car. It just kept pulling to redline. But now on 4th revision it feels similar to stock with torque low-down and less top-end.

Anyone else experienced this in the tuning process? I don't know how to make sense of any of this :(

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
What's your raw data say? Have you looked at the Excel document logs?

You were running a stock WGA on your hybrid? Where are you getting E30?

OP
Ryguy1982
Thread Starter #16
I haven't looked at the raw data but I think I can access the excel logs. I had an ots WGA from turbo parts canada. It came with the hybrid turbo but apparently the 11lb spring was crap.

There is one gas station that sells E85 in town. For some reason, people from Calgary seem to think that ethanol is non-existent in Alberta... but if you're open minded, señor google will point the way ;)

OP
Ryguy1982
Thread Starter #18
Is you intercooler getting heat soaked and zapping power?
Good question. Not sure. I have a whoosh V1 installed. I suspect it is not heat soak because I usually do my data-logging in the evening when it's cool. But I'll keep an eye out for heat soak.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I would look at the ambient air temperature, intake temperature at start of datalog and intake temperature at stop of datalog and compare them to see if it is an issue. In general at the start the temp should be nearish to ambient. The change in temp over the datalog will show how effective the intercooler is cooling the air stream. If you do 2 runs back to back, the difference in intake temps between them will show how well the intercooler resists heatsoak.

Me personally, I do my logging at the hottest time of the day. Figure if the tune is stable/solid when its hot, it will always be good.