Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help regarding uprated oil cooler

Hey guys
Going for an s280 build soon and looking at an upgraded air tec oil cooler
My worry is that as this wont be used on track the oil wont be warm enough for everyday temps
Is this a normal thing or does the sandwich plate get the oil upto an ideal temperature and then lower it or what quite new to this

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There usually is a thermostatic option on most good oil cooler kits.

But given your location, and no open track use, an air to oil aftermarket cooler might be overkill for your needs, unless you are really going to push that S280/tune to ~350 HP with aux fueling/injectors/pump+ (and maybe not even then).

OP
L
Thread Starter #3

But given your location, and no open track use, an air to oil aftermarket cooler might be overkill for your needs, unless you are really going to push that S280/tune to ~350 HP with aux fueling/injectors/pump+ (and maybe not even then).
Hey buddy you are right wont bother but going to upgrade the radiator
Would a better thermostat be to much for my driving do you believe
A bit worried the thermostat may be an issue in the winter as it opens around 70 degrees vs around 90

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
Also does anyone know if a better rad will mean better oil temperature due to the heat exchanger thank you

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't know where you are located in Jolly Ol' England, or just how frigid it gets there, but I personally would avoid a lower temp coolant thermostat in a ride I was going to use in the winter, especially if parked outside, overnight.

Or in a car which does not see extended LONG TRIP type use, which will get the oil up to at least the coolant temp, if not a bit higher.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I don't know where you are located in Jolly Ol' England, or just how frigid it gets there, but I personally would avoid a lower temp coolant thermostat in a ride I was going to use in the winter, especially if parked outside, overnight.

Or in a car which does not see extended LONG TRIP type use, which will get the oil up to at least the coolant temp, if not a bit higher.
Agreed. With an upgraded radiator there’s no need. Not sure about the track cars here, maybe they use a lower temp thermostat but for a street car not needed. My coolant almost never eclipses 200°F with mountune radiator.

I am not happy with water a oil temperatures in my FiST 2015.
Doing dyno testing I have seen, that I go water temperature about 100 deg.C and the oil temperature started at 103 deg.C and after 17 seconds of the full throttle testing was it 109 deg.C.
So high water temperature is surely not the best for all the rubber O-rings and other parts of the cooling system.
I think that the small heat exchanger - located under the oil filter - will keep the engine oil temperature lower, having at disposal cooler water.
So i ordered Mishimoto thermostat with the opening temperature 71 deg.C instead of the present Ford thermostat with the opening temperature of 97 deg.C.
I think that about 75 deg.C warm water wil be fine for the engine and its cooling system as well as for the heat exchanger - allowing him to keep the oil temperature lower.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I am not happy with water a oil temperatures in my FiST 2015.
Doing dyno testing I have seen, that I go water temperature about 100 deg.C and the oil temperature started at 103 deg.C and after 17 seconds of the full throttle testing was it 109 deg.C.
So high water temperature is surely not the best for all the rubber O-rings and other parts of the cooling system.
I think that the small heat exchanger - located under the oil filter - will keep the engine oil temperature lower, having at disposal cooler water.
So i ordered Mishimoto thermostat with the opening temperature 71 deg.C instead of the present Ford thermostat with the opening temperature of 97 deg.C.
I think that about 75 deg.C warm water wil be fine for the engine and its cooling system as well as for the heat exchanger - allowing him to keep the oil temperature lower.
Noting intelligent to add, just that Prague is perhaps my favorite international city I’ve visited.