Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hi I'm new.

Valkovia

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, I currently drive a 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road for the past 3 years... and the only off roading i have done is drive down a grass bank.
I live in farm land area so its pretty much just flat. I bought the tacoma mostly for the canadian winter, roads don't always get plowed where live so 4x4 with a good ground clearance is a must.
and picked the tacoma because of resell value.

But recently i decided to get a bit wiser with my financials and investments, getting rid of the remaining 4 years of car payments would be the first step.

i came across a 2015 fiesta and took it for a test drive and loved it. yeah the interior is cheap as hell and it lacks all the tech im used and its alot smaller.
but it was fun i smiled as i wheelspin in 3rd...

- the recaro seats fits me snug and is very comfortable
- apparently its good on gas, but then again anything is good on gas compared to a tacoma.

dislikes
- its crammed very small
- the infotainment system/climate controls seems really really dated even in the 2019 model
- interior feels really really cheap... like the indicator stalk feels like id snap it someday, it creaks when i use it. (probably stressing plastics)
- cup holders feels like it wont hold a gatoraid bottle.

so after the test drive i started doing alot of research to see if its a worth while long term car while i get my finacials in order.
but i read alot of bad news.

- 1.6L Eco boost has a coolant and head cracking problems
- Rust in around the back door seams, and around the hatch pivot points
- blenders in the air con.

those seem like big deals for a canada car that needs to survive -40 winters and salt roads etc.

i read the sensor is a bandaid fix that just reminds you to put more coolant in but doesnt fix the engine defect.

I have the choice of 2 fiestas at the moment

2015 black ST with 97k on the clock for $15k
or
2019 white ST with 20k on the clock for $23k

my questions are..
1. did they fix the engine with some sort of revision so that there is no chance of cracking if it remains stock. (not going to add mods cos working on my finacials)
2. is there some after market permanent fix for the aircon? that doesnt involve babying the aircon controls hoping for the best.
3. how bad is the rust spots, its it preventable? or is it something i'll have to live with that these certain spots are where its going to happen no matter what i do.
4. should i forget about the ST all together.

any answers is well apricated, if someone could provide links to any official articles relating to head block being redesigned would be great. i cant find any.
ill be test driving the 2019 model later today.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welcome!

my questions are..
1. did they fix the engine with some sort of revision so that there is no chance of cracking if it remains stock. (not going to add mods cos working on my finacials)

Yeah, sometime in 15 they changed the head for better cooling.

2. is there some after market permanent fix for the aircon? that doesnt involve babying the aircon controls hoping for the best.

You mean the blend door actuator? No. Mine's fine, but they all eventually break, supposedly. Just replace them.

3. how bad is the rust spots, its it preventable? or is it something i'll have to live with that these certain spots are where its going to happen no matter what i do.

Some have paint peeling off, but not me.

4. should i forget about the ST all together.

No car is perfect. The paint is crap, it rides rough, but they're pretty reliable overall. I can put up with the cheapness because they put all the money into the driving experience. It's about as good as it gets for the price.

OP
V

Valkovia

Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Upon closer inspection of the 2019 model. There were corrosion on the the Vin number studs, like creamy colored fuzz all around it.

There is rust under the hood along where the sheet steel fold seam line is and massive paint chunks missing along there front lip where the hood meets the Ford badge. As if someone took a pressure washer to it and all the paint flaked off and now it's rusting there.

Previous owner installed mud flaps with regular hardware store bolts and nuts that protruded close to the tire, and 3 out of 4 were broken and wrecked the inner fender wells. It also seemed like the mud flap plastic was designed to mount to a flat surface and they broke it in half letting the rubber portion to hold it together while 3in all thread bolts were used on custom made holes, the holes didn't hold, and the bolt worked it's way back out and is about 1/2in away from rubbing tire.

I pointed that out to the dealership and they were not willing to fix it or drop the price says it's a used car it's going to have imperfections, but for 23k + all their fees and taxes 13%. And 7% APR I walked away, I guess they thought it would sell like hotcakes for the price. 2 weeks gone I still see it on the lot.

Oh well. I still wonder what other mods the previous owner may have installed in that thing. I wasn't willing to pay 30k ish all in to find out.

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Good on you. Keep your eye out. There will be others, hopefully not too beat on. Prices will come down in time.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
My 2019 was 26k everything said and done, bone stock except almost 2k in custom wheels and tires and 7k miles. There are deals out there, just keep looking.