Honda's new Type R revealed at 2016 Paris Auto Show

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Member ID
Those are all AWD and will be able to lay the power down a lot better. Don't think I'd want to daily a 400whp FWD car that costs 34-35k.
+1

I guess NOT coming from (nor will I EVER be part of it) the import nameplate sport compact 'scene' myself, I just do not get all of the love/deification of the 'duhs.

For $35K, I would get a base Stang GT, and make up MY OWN 'track pack' type build, by lightening, and modding it (with even much better parts than Ford uses in their track pack) to be able to kick ANY/EVERY import fanboys' ass on a road course, OR just buy the aforementioned Focus RS.

Like I said, I am different than most on here, who would rather have bought from a Nippon nameplated company, and probably even a model from them which is ONLY made THERE, and the ONLY reason they chose the FiST is because it currently kicks the ass of anything from the Japanese, or Korean nameplates.

I'm buying it mainly BECAUSE it has a US domestic nameplate on it, and would still do so even if everyone's beloved Nippon manufacturers' small products kicked it's ass in performance (but lucky for me they DO NOT!! [biggrin]). [wink]

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Member ID
+1

I guess NOT coming from (nor will I EVER be part of it) the import nameplate sport compact 'scene' myself, I just do not get all of the love/deification of the 'duhs.

For $35K, I would get a base Stang GT, and make up MY OWN 'track pack' type build, by lightening, and modding it (with even much better parts than Ford uses in their track pack) to be able to kick ANY/EVERY import fanboys' ass on a road course, OR just buy the aforementioned Focus RS.

Like I said, I am different than most on here, who would rather have bought from a Nippon nameplated company, and probably even a model from them which is ONLY made THERE, and the ONLY reason they chose the FiST is because it currently kicks the ass of anything from the Japanese, or Korean nameplates.

I'm buying it mainly BECAUSE it has a US domestic nameplate on it, and would still do so even if everyone's beloved Nippon manufacturers' small products kicked it's ass in performance (but lucky for me they DO NOT!! [biggrin]). [wink]
I'm all for buying American, but let's not kid ourselves. No one in their right mind would buy the FiST of it didn't rock. We all bought it because it's an amazing little car. If the Japanese or Korean or European brands made a car as good for the same coin, I would buy the FiST because it's an American nameplate. If the other manufacturers made a better car for the same or less coin, I'd be driving one of those other cars. We all want the best value for our dollar whether it comes from the good ole USA or elsewhere. Otherwise no one would buy clothes, furniture, electronics etc from any company that's not American.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Member ID
I'm all for buying American, but let's not kid ourselves. No one in their right mind would buy the FiST of it didn't rock. We all bought it because it's an amazing little car. If the Japanese or Korean or European brands made a car as good for the same coin, I would buy the FiST because it's an American nameplate. If the other manufacturers made a better car for the same or less coin, I'd be driving one of those other cars. We all want the best value for our dollar whether it comes from the good ole USA or elsewhere. Otherwise no one would buy clothes, furniture, electronics etc from any company that's not American.

Ditto?2

Member ID
I like it, looks pretty wild. I'm old but I'd definitely drive one. Kids won't be buying these things, they can't afford it.

Silo

Member ID
Why so much concern about the badge on the vehicle? The Fiesta is one of Fords least American cars. It is essentially a European car, tuned in Germany, with a drivetrain from the UK and produced in Mexico.

I think the CTR will be a hard sell in the segment if it doesn't end as the cheapest product in the segment. The lack of AWD helps to keep the weight down, but people buying these new expect a lot of practicality in terms of year round usability. Sales in the USA will probably start off strong then rapidly decline once everyone that has lusted over a Type-R acquires their vehicle.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Why so much concern about the badge on the vehicle? The Fiesta is one of Fords least American cars. It is essentially a European car, tuned in Germany, with a drivetrain from the UK and produced in Mexico.

I think the CTR will be a hard sell in the segment if it doesn't end as the cheapest product in the segment. The lack of AWD helps to keep the weight down, but people buying these new expect a lot of practicality in terms of year round usability. Sales in the USA will probably start off strong then rapidly decline once everyone that has lusted over a Type-R acquires their vehicle.
Type R's have never been intended to be high volume models. Ever. Remember the Integra Type R? They only made approx 4,300 of them in the 4 years they sold them in the USA. The Civic Type R is a bit of a halo car much in the same vein that the Focus RS is, or the Shelby 350GT. You think Ford is selling 100k 350GT units annually? They only made 5,000 the first year. Honda knows about selling cars and I'm sure they'll have no problem selling the Civic Type R. They've sold in Europe and Japan for years. They get snow in Japan and all over Europe, so FWD won't be anymore of an issue than it is with a GTI, FoST, FiST etc. In terms of practicality, its the same hatchback body style that was just introduced here a few months ago and its 4door, so just as practical as a FoST, FoRS, Gti etc. I won't be getting one, but Honda will have no problem moving them especially if the performance matches the looks and its priced at around 32K, they'll be flying off the lots, or probably be a waiting list to get one is my guess.

Member ID
Very profound post. No to what??
Sorry! [emoji14]

It was just my way of saying in one word that I would not buy that car if the production model ends up looking exactly like that. The projections on the bumpers and other places, they are well, definitely there. But they are a bit much for me. They remind me of those Nismo 370Z.. I am surprised they didn't slap a few "NO STEP" decals on the thing.

If they dial down the styling a bit, and gave it to us in Championship White with red Recaros, I may consider.

I know this car will have no problem selling a couple thousand of them to the folks that have been lusting after a real Type R here in the states. I would definitely circle around it at the gas station for sure, no matter the color. :D

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Sorry! [emoji14]

It was just my way of saying in one word that I would not buy that car if the production model ends up looking exactly like that. The projections on the bumpers and other places, they are well, definitely there. But they are a bit much for me. They remind me of those Nismo 370Z.. I am surprised they didn't slap a few "NO STEP" decals on the thing.

If they dial down the styling a bit, and gave it to us in Championship White with red Recaros, I may consider.

I know this car will have no problem selling a couple thousand of them to the folks that have been lusting after a real Type R here in the states. I would definitely circle around it at the gas station for sure, no matter the color. :D
Ohhhh. Got it. That would be sweet though. Champion White Throwback edition.

Member ID
Not a fan of the front fenders.

I'd definitely take a look at one and will consider purchasing it.... if I ever come across one.

Still haven't seen a Focus RS.