Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hood Vents and Under Hood Temps

Has anyone taken data logs of their ECT before and after adding hood vents?

Looking at something along the lines of the track spec hood vent.

We are hitting 225-230+ after 3-5 minutes on track. We have an airtec oil cooler, mountune radiator, and whoosh V2 intercooler.

That is discouraging that you are still having temp issues with a radiator and oil cooler. I just picked up a mishimoto oil cooler to try to combat temps on track. It is a 19 row vs the 13 row airtec so it may be a little more time efficient. Would love to hear if anyone has used the CMComposites hood vents which seem to be in the best low pressure area of our hoods. https://cmcomposites.co.uk/shop/ford/fiesta-parts/fiesta-wrc-bonnet-vents

PS they also have sweet headlight blank with air scoop

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
That is discouraging that you are still having temp issues with a radiator and oil cooler. I just picked up a mishimoto oil cooler to try to combat temps on track. It is a 19 row vs the 13 row airtec so it may be a little more time efficient. Would love to hear if anyone has used the CMComposites hood vents which seem to be in the best low pressure area of our hoods. https://cmcomposites.co.uk/shop/ford/fiesta-parts/fiesta-wrc-bonnet-vents

PS they also have sweet headlight blank with air scoop
I haven't been monitoring the oil temps on track, I would need to add a dedicated temp sensor to the oil cooler lines. When we come in though we are only measuring 160-175F when we measure the cooler with an infrared.

We are hitting 225-230+ after 3-5 minutes on track. We have an airtec oil cooler, mountune radiator, and whoosh V2 intercooler.
Stock turbo?

Stock turbo, stock tune.
I know your car will run more efficiently and stronger with a tune. I had great luck with Stratified flash tunes. Air moving efficiently in and out of your engine also helps your turbo spin easier. Green filter, Mountune Intake hose, intercooler can help with that. One or two parts won’t change much. A well thought out plan then executed will deliver results. 🇺🇸

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I don't think that having the hood ventilated is going to move the temps much. I do have a Cobb IC, and a Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler. That's what allowed me to run complete sessions in the middle of the Houston summers. I don't recall the exact coolant temps, but yours sound on a high side.

OP
J
Thread Starter #10
A bit more on the set up.

Mishimoto cold air intake, whoosh V2 inter cooler, Mishimoto catted down pipe (ceramic coated), mountune charge pipe kit (ceramic coated).

Air tech oil cooler, Mountune radiator.

Oh btw I had to burp and refill the Mountune rad a few times. My temps were a little high for a minute now they are cool again 😎

OP
J
Thread Starter #12
Rad is burped, cruising temp is 190-194. Heat is only at the track.

A bit more on the set up.

Mishimoto cold air intake, whoosh V2 inter cooler, Mishimoto catted down pipe (ceramic coated), mountune charge pipe kit (ceramic coated).

Air tech oil cooler, Mountune radiator.
👍

OP
J
Thread Starter #14
Has anyone ran a hood vent and have before and after temps?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Something weird is happening for you to get that hot that fast. Are you sure you got the water/coolant mix correct when you replaced the radiator? Is your coolant system completely purged? What's your oil temp look like?

OP
J
Thread Starter #18
It's really not that fast. Leaving pit lane we are at 184-194. After 1 lap we are up to 216, after 2nd lap we are 225-235.

Coolant temp has not exceed 238 from what I have seen on the guage.

Based on lap times. The car starts to detuned itself around 220-225.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's really not that fast. Leaving pit lane we are at 184-194. After 1 lap we are up to 216, after 2nd lap we are 225-235.
But you've got a wad of heat rejection with the bigger radiator and external oil cooler. There's a couple of track rats on this forum that fixed their heat problems on FiSTs making lots more power than yours is with just a radiator change.

What's your coolant mix?