Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How bad is ~300HP going to be with All Seasons?

Done most of the mods needed to support a bigger turbo. Im running cobb stage 2 right now and was going to just get a custom dizzy tune but I have the funds to upgrade my turbo if I want to. Im thinking of getting the whoosh hybrid with an end goal of 300 HP. I live in northern az and we definitely get some winter driving conditions. I would like to not get a seperate set of tires if I can help it.

Right now im running cheap falken all seasons and they arent horrible with the current tune but I am a little worried [emoji23]

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Probably the stickiest out of everything actually labeled an all season is the Nitto Neo Gen.
They maintain grip into the mid twenty degree range or so, but given their very pure summer tire-like tread pattern, I would not want to be out on them in anything deeper than a quarter inch of snow on the roads, if that.

Disclaimer; I have these as my daily driver tires on 16x8 Dekagrams (205/50-16s), but I am still on the factory snail and tune, so consider that, but I seriously doubt that ANY all season tire, especially the 400-500 tread wear variety ones, will even come close to holding that kind of power, even if it is tuned for 'boost/power by gear'. [wink]

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Probably the stickiest out of everything actually labeled an all season is the Nitto Neo Gen.
They maintain grip into the mid twenty degree range or so, but given their very pure summer tire-like tread pattern, I would not want to be out on them in anything deeper than a quarter inch of snow on the roads, if that.

Disclaimer; I have these as my daily driver tires on 16x8 Dekagrams (205/50-16s), but I am still on the factory snail and tune, so consider that, but I seriously doubt that ANY all season tire, especially the 400-500 tread wear variety ones, will even come close to holding that kind of power, even if it is tuned for 'boost/power by gear'. [wink]
Theyre usually pretty good about plowing the roads here so ill keep those in mind

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
Not bad..it all depends on how the power comes on with the Tune*
From what ive read the hybrid turbo's tend to behave like a beefed up version of the stock turbo because thats what they are anyways

Havent read up on the different tuners on larger turbo but everyone seems to speak highly of dizzy

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The tuner can dictate how the power comes on...I'm way way over 300whp and Ran A/s tires before going to Summers and winters here in Mn. Just had the tuner create a file where Boost is limited to 15lbs and Winter tires helped out A LOT* id suggest buying some if you get a chance.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
The tuner can dictate how the power comes on...I'm way way over 300whp and Ran A/s tires before going to Summers and winters here in Mn. Just had the tuner create a file where Boost is limited to 15lbs and Winter tires helped out A LOT* id suggest buying some if you get a chance.
[emoji106] Much appreciated

Sam4

Theyre usually pretty good about plowing the roads here so ill keep those in mind

Speaking of "plowing the roads", that's about the worst that'll happen with A/S's. If you're cautious with pedal application all is good. Of course, we're on the forum and "cautious" is unacceptable....

All seasons are "all compromise" to be sure. I've found both General Gmax and Riken Raptors insufficient to maintain grip on stock tune. After modest mods (stage 2) summer tires quickly became the next must on my upgrade list.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
FWIW I struggled to maintain traction on dizzy stage 2 on OEM summer tires in 2nd gear. Big turbo now, no traction issues whatsoever. Power comes on late where there's plenty of traction. Something to consider.

I would imagine a hybird will shred a/s tires if you don't specifically ask the tuner to limit torque, but they'll all do this for you and you shouldn't have a problem that way. They can limit boost by gear.

DoomsdayMelody

Done most of the mods needed to support a bigger turbo. Im running cobb stage 2 right now and was going to just get a custom dizzy tune but I have the funds to upgrade my turbo if I want to. Im thinking of getting the whoosh hybrid with an end goal of 300 HP. I live in northern az and we definitely get some winter driving conditions. I would like to not get a seperate set of tires if I can help it.

Right now im running cheap falken all seasons and they arent horrible with the current tune but I am a little worried [emoji23]

Interesting duality. Putting more money under hood while not wanting to put money on what is arguably the most important part of the car in terms of performance. I mean you could alternatively go LSD, but that would cost more money, best option with that amount of target power would be appropriate tires plus an LSD, but I’m willing to bet that if $300-$500 is too much for you to spend on tires, that $3000 for an LSD install would be too much. Honestly, I don’t understand why you’re throwing more power at the car without also improving grip.

That said, there are plenty of OEM cars that have in excess of 300 HP and come on all seasons, you can try to mitigate traction loss by going with a wider tire, but anything close to OE diameter is gonna be tough to find much past a 215 or 225 section width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lays

I have more traction with my new DWS06 then my previous Neogens, they're a QUALITY all season, but they're expensive compared to other options. 205/45/17 for my daily set of DWS06. I used to spin in 3rd often on the neogens (215/40/17), and I hardly do at all on the DWS06.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have more traction with my new DWS06 then my previous Neogens, they're a QUALITY all season, but they're expensive compared to other options. 205/45/17 for my daily set of DWS06. I used to spin in 3rd often on the neogens (215/40/17), and I hardly do at all on the DWS06.
Surprised to hear that, given how much better the Contis are in light snow, along with their almost double tread wear rating.

But, that extra overall diameter of the 205/45s also plays into the better traction factor as well, given that it effectively lowers (numerically) your final drive ratio. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Interesting duality. Putting more money under hood while not wanting to put money on what is arguably the most important part of the car in terms of performance. I mean you could alternatively go LSD, but that would cost more money, best option with that amount of target power would be appropriate tires plus an LSD, but I’m willing to bet that if $300-$500 is too much for you to spend on tires, that $3000 for an LSD install would be too much. Honestly, I don’t understand why you’re throwing more power at the car without also improving grip.

That said, there are plenty of OEM cars that have in excess of 300 HP and come on all seasons, you can try to mitigate traction loss by going with a wider tire, but anything close to OE diameter is gonna be tough to find much past a 215 or 225 section width.

I would definitely save up for, and 'splurge' on, having two sets of wheels/tires for a high(er) powered FiST used year 'round in a 4 season climate.

Summers with gumball 200 tread wear stickies on them, and a winter/3 seasons set with the above mentioned DWS06es, or the like, on them.

I would also run a weaker, less peak torque tune (probably even for the upper rev ranges) during the winter, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Lays

Surprised to hear that, given how much better the Contis are in light snow, along with their almost double tread wear rating.

But, that extra overall diameter of the 205/45s also plays into the better traction factor as well, given that it effectively lowers (numerically) your final drive ratio. [wink]
For sure could be a little bit of the extra height. They have similar lateral grip from what I can tell, but the sidewall is definitely more squishy. It snowed like 3-5 inches a few months ago and I drove around 200 miles in it during the storm, no issues at all, killer tire so far for daily use.

I agree with what you said, high power fiestas should have a set of daily use tires and a second set of stickies. It's the best of both worlds.

OP
T
Thread Starter #16

Its not a money thing its a laziness thing. [emoji1787]

Id just like to have as much HP as possible without my all seasons being a liablility and i know 300 is about where the hybrids max out without aux fuel

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I agree with delaying or reducing peak torque where you can't use it with a custom tune.

OP
T
Thread Starter #18
I would definitely save up for, and 'splurge' on, having two sets of wheels/tires for a high(er) powered FiST used year 'round in a 4 season climate.

Summers with gumball 200 tread wear stickies on them, and a winter/3 seasons set with the above mentioned DWS06es, or the like, on them.

I would also run a weaker, less peak torque tune (probably even for the upper rev ranges) during the winter, but that's just me.
Just caught this post. For the record when needed i plan on running a weaker tune in the winter to compensate for things

I understand where everyone is going but id like to run a higher horsepower tune without having to swap out tires for our generally mild winters here

Id like to run either summer tires that can deal with light snow and regular plows or all seasons that can perform almost as good.

Appreciate the help understand if my goals dont line up with some peoples ideals

DoomsdayMelody

Just caught this post. For the record when needed i plan on running a weaker tune in the winter to compensate for things

I understand where everyone is going but id like to run a higher horsepower tune without having to swap out tires for our generally mild winters here

Id like to run either summer tires that can deal with light snow and regular plows or all seasons that can perform almost as good.

Appreciate the help understand if my goals dont line up with some peoples ideals

Summer tires can’t deal with light snow, Google the term “glass transition” and you’ll quickly see that once temps drop much below 40 you’re running in a compromised tire, add in the traction loss from snow and you may as well be driving around on a bare rim because not only will you have no traction, you’ll also very likely destroy the tires especially if it’s cold enough for the snow to stick around.

If you are willing to run summer tires, there is absolutely no point in considering all seasons. Winter tires and summer tires will perform better than all seasons, provided they operate within their respective designated operating ambient temperature ranges. I’m fortunate enough to run summer tires year round where I live (San Jose CA) and the coldest I’ve seen the ambient temperature when I was out driving was about 38F and I reduced my speed considerably as a result. That said, snow isn’t really a reality here, so you’d need to choose with that in consideration.

If you’re unwilling to swap tires, all seasons are a giant compromise but realistically your only option since you are dealing with snow. You could alternatively look at all weather tires which is a new category and is supposed to be better in actual snow than all season.

Last edited: