Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How bad would it be to drive on e85?

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I normally add a gallon of e85 to my tank when I fill up, which I did tonight only to find that the shell I'm at won't pump. So I currently have less than a gallon of 93 with a little bit more than a gallon of e85 😡. Worst case I can get my brother to bring me 93. How bad would it be to drive with my current mix?

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #2
I have an e30 tune I could flash . . .

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Since the forum and my brother failed me 😱, I flashed it to my E30 tune and drove very gently to Sheetz. Nothing has blown up yet, which is good

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Not much would happen in a pinch like that. I would just stay out of boost and limp it to the nearest station. I don't see the point in going through the motions of adding a gallon of ethanol for your 93 tune. Add 3 gallons and just run the E30 tune.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
Not much would happen in a pinch like that. I would just stay out of boost and limp it to the nearest station. I don't see the point in going through the motions of adding a gallon of ethanol for your 93 tune. Add 3 gallons and just run the E30 tune.
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. The reason I haven't used the E30 tune is because I feel like the ethanol ratio will get off over time and right now the fiesta's my daily.

Erick_V

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. The reason I haven't used the E30 tune is because I feel like the ethanol ratio will get off over time and right now the fiesta's my daily.
I have a gauge. If you use the same station and use the same amount it rarely changes. I’d say ~1-2% over the course of months

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
I have a gauge. If you use the same station and use the same amount it rarely changes. I’d say ~1-2% over the course of months
I really want the Dizzy ethanol content gauge, but it's not in the budget right now

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
I live in PA and I only see E15 pumps and Flex Fuel pumps which say they can vary E15 to E85. Is there any possible way to tune for this?

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
I live in PA and I only see E15 pumps and Flex Fuel pumps which say they can vary E15 to E85. Is there any possible way to tune for this?
Flex fuel that varies from e15 to e85? That's pretty extreme. There are kits you can get to test the percentage of ethanol in the fuel. So you would know what time you should run. Idk if one tune could account for that much variation in ethanol content though

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I've been running on E30 almost exclusively for the past 2 years and for a while I was averaging about 70-80 miles in daily commutes. The tunes aren't dialed in that precise that you need to monitor the exact ethanol content. Hell, I haven't plugged in my accessport in 6 months.

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Sheetz and some Wawas carry actual E85 labeled as such in (some fortunate areas of) Pennsy.

Now whether or not it actually is the full E85, or close to it, without testing [dunno].
I live near Carlisle. Every sheetz so far has that stupid Flex pump. I have the handheld tester from whoosh that I use at work so I can measure alcohol content in customer cars that come in with drivability issues. I will probably get the methanol gauge kit for my FiST but that still doesn't solve the issue of where to get proper fuel in Penciltucky.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Sheetz and some Wawas carry actual E85 labeled as such in (some fortunate areas of) Pennsy.

Now whether or not it actually is the full E85, or close to it, without testing [dunno].
tested the wawa at 40 foot road last weekend and it was above E85 more like 86 or 87.