Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How cold can you get AutoX tires before it affects the rubber?

I have an event this Saturday and normally I would put my AutoX wheels on the night before, but it’s supposed to get down around F 25 and I haven’t heard a number on how cold is too cold for a tire like the RE71r. I’m guessing it’s fine but wanted to see what you all have to say on the topic.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
That’s a good question, but freezing is freezing, so I think your concern is on point, and well warranted.
I’ve got the Bridgestones in my basement, and I’m not going to put them back on until I know that there won’t be anymore freezing temperatures.

OP
tiggerbren
Thread Starter #3
That’s a good question, but freezing is freezing, so I think your concern is on point, and well warranted.
I’ve got the Bridgestones in my basement, and I’m not going to put them back on until I know that there won’t be anymore freezing temperatures.
Thanks. I think because I don’t understand tire chemistry I’m gonna play it safe.

I've heard the general rule is anything under freezing will mess with the tire compound. Not a chemical engineer or anything, but this is the rule I've heard around the track and I abide by it.

In general, it is fine, as long as you don't do anything to move the tire until it defrosts. These compounds aren't as finicky as slicks or ultra-soft compound street tires.

Airing the tire up/down? Cracking possible. Moving the car? Bad idea. Have to wait till the tires get heated up by the midday sun.

Edit: Besides the fact that the tires don't work once you get into the 30s F...even if they are warm, the road is too cold and you have traction issues from the surface. Unless you are tracking or something and you can keep heat in them.