Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How long do the oem brake pads last?

Stkid93

Premium Account
Anyone know approximately how many miles the oem pads should last? I know the more aggressive pads don’t always last as long.

Also what about our oem rotors?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Anyone know approximately how many miles the oem pads should last? I know the more aggressive pads don’t always last as long.

Also what about our oem rotors?
Just FYI there are two different sets of OEM brake pads for the car. There is a more aggressive higher dusting pad which came from the factory with the factory summer tire option. There is a less aggressive presumably less dusting pad that came with the factory option all season tires.
My car came with the summer tires and the more aggressive pads, my front brake pads and rotors just had to be replaced at 25,000 mi. This was all street driving, driving it hard when I can, but no tracking or autocrossing.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
I also got the summer tire with the more aggressive pads and my pads look like they got a little life left. But I’ll probably replace them soon, I personally love how the stock brakes perform on the street. So I wanna stay oem, do you recommend going with the oem pads? Or are their other aftermarket pads that are good?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I also got the summer tire with the more aggressive pads and my pads look like they got a little life left. But I’ll probably replace them soon, I personally love how the stock brakes perform on the street. So I wanna stay oem, do you recommend going with the oem pads? Or are their other aftermarket pads that are good?
I replaced my OEM pads with other OEM pads, I also like them a lot. I haven't used anything else, so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I felt no reason to change.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Mine came with the 'all season' less aggressive factory pads.

I have almost 46K miles on these factory pads and rotors and they are still stopping the car OK, but most definitely must be replaced sooner than later!
(It is getting the OEM Motorcraft SUMMER pads and hardware, paired with the Whoosh slotted rotors when I do replace them. [wink])

This is daily street driving, highway/city mix, but NO auto-crossing, or open tracking at all.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #6
@M-Sport fan @Capri to ST

do either of you guys know the part numbers for the more aggressive pads? I want to make sure they give me the right pads when I call. Also, do you usually get right from the dealer? Or have you found a vendor that sells the oem stuff ?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
@M-Sport fan @Capri to ST

do either of you guys know the part numbers for the more aggressive pads? I want to make sure they give me the right pads when I call. Also, do you usually get right from the dealer? Or have you found a vendor that sells the oem stuff ?
I had the more aggressive pads put on by an independent shop that I trust, but they didn't put the part number on the work order. I believe they got them directly from the Ford dealer.
For OEM parts, I use either Tasca parts, which I believe only carries OEM parts, or RockAuto, which of course has a whole range of parts, but generally has better prices on OEM parts.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Been too long for me to recall what I got out of the OEM pads but my rears pads were the first to go and had to replace the front the following year. Guesstimate 30k-ish.

Summer tire, dusty more aggressive pads.

Replacement ceramics have been excellent in terms of dust.

Humongous difference with initial bite and braking... they say the OEM pads are good and they really are. BUT, the trade-off is they will wear out your rotors and your gloss black wheels will basically stay matte black.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That is the Ford box number, the Motorcraft box number (front; BRF1494/rear; BRF1444) sold on Rock Auto is different, even though the same exact part is in the box.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #13
@SteveS

yea I came across that but other vendors seem to have the performance pads listed as the D part number not E. And other threads on the forum say the D are the performance. There doesn’t seem to be a concensus one way or the other.

So I don’t know if tasca has the parts number reversed by accident or what. And someone posted about getting the E pads from tasca and he said there’s no way they were the performance pads. Maybe that guy was wrong as there seem
To be a good amount of people who have ordered from tasca without issues.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If in doubt, go to (or call) your local dealer. I happen to be near at least a few though. I know not everyone is.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
@SteveS

yea I came across that but other vendors seem to have the performance pads listed as the D part number not E. And other threads on the forum say the D are the performance. There doesn’t seem to be a concensus one way or the other.

So I don’t know if tasca has the parts number reversed by accident or what. And someone posted about getting the E pads from tasca and he said there’s no way they were the performance pads. Maybe that guy was wrong as there seem
To be a good amount of people who have ordered from tasca without issues.
That is certainly possible. When I look at parts.ford.com, this is what it lists for the E part:

Disc Brake Pad Set. Kit Brake Lining - Front. 205/40R17 V A/S Tires (ST).

Part #: BRF1508 (AY1Z2001E)
Front Brake Discs and Calipers

Usages:
06/08/2015 - 08/01/2019, Fiesta (B299), ST Version, 205/40R17 V A/S Tyres
The D part gets hardly any description and nothing ST-specific there:

Disc Brake Pad Set. Kit Brake Lining - Front.

Part #: BRF1494 (AY1Z2001D)
Front Brake Discs and Calipers

Usages:
06/12/2014 - 08/01/2019, Fiesta (B299), With 4 Wheel Disc-Brake

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #16
It says a/s (all season) in the E description you just copied and pasted. That’s what confuses me