Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people test drove the Focus ST but ended up getting the Fiesta ST?

How many people test drove the Focus ST but ended up getting the Fiesta ST?

• I did

Votes: 152 59.4%
  • I didn't

Votes: 104 40.6%

• Total voters
Drove them both, on different days. Really wanted to love the Focus (former focus owner) and just really don't like the interior layout of this generation of Focus. The power was nice but it just felt like a big car, fast but not fun. Over a lunch break went to drive the FiST and it just felt right. I couldn't stop smiling after driving it and after rationalizing it would be ok to get such a small car I ordered one up.

STooge

I test drove both but when I went I had every intention of buying the FiST. I actually only drove the focus because the day I went I was both waiting on my wife and the dealers first FiST hadn't arrived yet. The FoST was super fun but the interior seems put together weird as was said, it doesn't seem as big in the front, the dash is part of it and the leg room as well, if you compared front passenger leg room between the two, the FiST actually has more.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I did and back to back. Ended up liking fiesta's size better.

Never drove the focus, but from what I had heard the fiesta was more fun and the lower price definitely didn't hurt. And I really dislike the shape of the parking brake in the focus, its a tiny detail but for some reason it really stuck out at me.

Perry

Drove the Focus initially, only 'cuz the FiST wasn't available at the time, and liked it but didn't love it. Interior--meh. Drive--nice, but lacking the verve that I feel with the Fiesta. The FiST is simply a more fun drive, IMHO. And looks better, too. I like the exterior lines of the FiST, the Focus, well, again--meh.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Drove them both, on different days. Really wanted to love the Focus (former focus owner) and just really don't like the interior layout of this generation of Focus. The power was nice but it just felt like a big car, fast but not fun. Over a lunch break went to drive the FiST and it just felt right. I couldn't stop smiling after driving it and after rationalizing it would be ok to get such a small car I ordered one up.
My sentiments exactly. [:o]

I didn't test the Focus ST. It is not what I wanted in a car. I have a very small parking space and drive on narrow roads. The majority of cars where I currently live are sub-compact. There are also some things I don't like about the Focus interior (such as the parking brake and shifter placement) and, as for the exterior, I think it looks awesome except that I don't like the position of the front license plate bracket, right smack in the middle of the front air grille looks stupid to me. Ford's decision for a bit lower placement on the Fiesta looks much better.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
My original plan was to get a Focus ST after seeing so many people rave how wonderful it was on the Focus forums...then I saw pictures of Fiesta ST and knew it was the perfect car since it was similar in size to the first gen Focus. I did test drive the Focus ST and found it too big for my liking. Glad I made the right choice.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
The only thing I dont like about my FiST is how tall it is. Especially the hood area. The car looks like a blowfish lol. But I still luvs her :)

Hello Folks,

I drove both within a half hour of each other at the same dealership.

I drove the Focus ST first.

The Fiesta ST has by far the better driving dynamics; better suspension and significantly tighter Chassis/Body.

Body roll was obvious on the Focus ST and practically undetectable on the Fiesta ST.

Regards,

MAJP

Yea I actually started out with it narrowed down to a GTI driver edition(I love GTIs) or a Focus ST. Right after we test drove that FOST I asked to test drive the Fiesta ST, I figured why not give it a test drive bc of all the praise it was receiving,and literally about 5 min down the road I was sold. It was just so much more fun than both cars,and really had the true light weight hot hatch spirit of the older GTIs with smaller engines. Just a great lil hatch,ford did AWSOME with our cars [lovest].

-ry

Yup. I sell them both and at 6'5" I was convinced the bigger Focus was going to be the way to go. 5 minutes into driving the FIST I was not only in love with it but instead of driving it as a demo for free I actually bought it! That's huge for me cause I didn't have a car payment, insurance, property tax or anything. I just love it that much!

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Yup. I sell them both and at 6'5" I was convinced the bigger Focus was going to be the way to go. 5 minutes into driving the FIST I was not only in love with it but instead of driving it as a demo for free I actually bought it! That's huge for me cause I didn't have a car payment, insurance, property tax or anything. I just love it that much!
Thats funny, the car salesman kept insisting I needed the FoST because I'm tall. I think being bigger in a smaller car makes it feel like you can just toss the car around easier. Kinda like a go kart.

Thats funny, the car salesman kept insisting I needed the FoST because I'm tall. I think being bigger in a smaller car makes it feel like you can just toss the car around easier. Kinda like a go kart.
Sales people shouldn't do that. Give the guy or girl what they want! Not what you think they should have!

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Sales people shouldn't do that. Give the guy or girl what they want! Not what you think they should have!
I didnt end up buying from that dealer anyways. The used car manager sat down with my friend and I and literally argued with us for a good 10 minutes. At one point he said "would you like me to explain to you how banks work?" Dont ever go to Power Ford in New Mexico haha

I didnt end up buying from that dealer anyways. The used car manager sat down with my friend and I and literally argued with us for a good 10 minutes. At one point he said "would you like me to explain to you how banks work?" Dont ever go to Power Ford in New Mexico haha
Good! Serves em right! Probably should remember a little something like "the customer is always right"

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
This may sound silly, but I wouldn't even consider the Focus ST - why?

That F*%#ing back end. It wouldn't be so bad but those stupid tail lights really sour me on it, and the rear end treatment doesn't "flow" design wise with the rest of the car - it doesn't even flow well with the design of the front end. Design by committee, it seems?

The problem I have with the Focus hatch's tails is the same problem I have with the 370Z, 2014+ Chevy Suburban and other cars with those stupid "pulled edge" tail lights/headlights that seem to be popular - car designers take note - it never looks good.

Related:
When buying a couple other sales guys came by to talk to me about it and were mentioning things like "oh i heard some people find the pedals in the fiesta too close together" and im like "DGAF i don't want a focus st." By my tone and the fact that I can out-tech nearly any dealership rep on any of the cars on the lot, they got the message pretty quick I wasn't budging from a FiST