Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How much faster is a s280 build vs stage 2

Hey guys
Going s280 build next month
The ford fiesta st being the fastest vehicle that I have owned before

My build at the moment is running 246bhp and 224whp
288 ft lbs

This will be taken up to 300whp
300 ft lbs

How much faster will this feel? Worried about it not feeling a lot faster as it will only be gaining 12 ft lbs torque
Thank you and appreciate your patience with my silly question

Dpro

6000 Post Club
believe me you will feel a difference a big one in the mid and top it will pull like a freight train above 2800-3k and will accelerate like a motorcycle. It’s hard to compare numbers though because dyno readouts vary and vdyno which a lot of us use in a pinch is an approximation. Albeit one that gets close to real numbers. The main thing is how it is when you are driving and trust me it will be big difference between stock turbo with a tune vs S280.

I don't have experience with the S280, but I do have experience with tuned stock turbo FiST and my x47r FiST (among other tuned/vs "big" turbo cars).

I think one thing you'll notice is the power delivery and how much longer it holds the power to redline, regardless of what the numbers say. The whole powerband shifts right and has a fairly different feeling overall.

I think one "negative" (subjectively) thing you'll notice is the lack of "usable" turbo in the city streets. What I mean is, with the quick spooling stock turbo, it's easy to get on it for a quick burst every now and then (safely) where a FiST with a bigger turbo is basically over the speed limit very fast by the time boost builds up lol.

It's hard to say otherwise how much faster it'll feel to you exactly. I hope this puts it into perspective a bit though.

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
believe me you will feel a difference a big one in the mid and top it will pull like a freight train above 2800-3k and will accelerate like a motorcycle. It’s hard to compare numbers though because dyno readouts vary and vdyno which a lot of us use in a pinch is an approximation. Albeit one that gets close to real numbers. The main thing is how it is when you are driving and trust me it will be big difference between stock turbo with a tune vs S280.
Thank you buddy appreciate your response

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
I don't have experience with the S280, but I do have experience with tuned stock turbo FiST and my x47r FiST (among other tuned/vs "big" turbo cars).

I think one thing you'll notice is the power delivery and how much longer it holds the power to redline, regardless of what the numbers say. The whole powerband shifts right and has a fairly different feeling overall.

I think one "negative" (subjectively) thing you'll notice is the lack of "usable" turbo in the city streets. What I mean is, with the quick spooling stock turbo, it's easy to get on it for a quick burst every now and then (safely) where a FiST with a bigger turbo is basically over the speed limit very fast by the time boost builds up lol.

It's hard to say otherwise how much faster it'll feel to you exactly. I hope this puts it into perspective a bit though.
Yeh that helps man
Thank you muchly for taking your time to respond

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Ah I spoke earlier and I can speak to this again. People with x hybrids seem to have this idea that a S280 being technically a big turbo because it uses a K04frame that it‘s not as fun on the street, though it really does not perform like say a Garrett. Ya it spoils a little slower but not as drastic as non owners would have people believe, its actually a blast around town and In fact it works better in town than a hybrid imo as you can drive it like stock and then when you want the power it’s their.
If you want the hybrid style kick with it just go with E30 and it will have that hybrid TQ bump. Ask me how I know:ROFLMAO:
I

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
x37 owner here. buddy has a s280 in their fiesta. his FiST definitely feels faster even with two people in the car. I think you will be happy with the change.

Ah I spoke earlier and I can speak to this again. People with x hybrids seem to have this idea that a S280 being technically a big turbo because it uses a K04frame that it‘s not as fun on the street, though it really does not perform like say a Garrett. Ya it spoils a little slower but not as drastic as non owners would have people believe, its actually a blast around town and In fact it works better in town that a hybrid as you can drive it like stock and then when you want the power it’s their.
If you want the hybrid style kick with it just go with E30 and it will have that hybrid TQ bump. Ask me how I know:ROFLMAO:
I
I'm E30 tuned with my x47r and yeah it can get down in the city easily, but it gets "too fast" very quick at the same time. It's just nothing like a stock turbo is all lol. I'd love to feel an S280 to compare one day!

OP
L
Thread Starter #9
Ah I spoke earlier and I can speak to this again. People with x hybrids seem to have this idea that a S280 being technically a big turbo because it uses a K04frame that it‘s not as fun on the street, though it really does not perform like say a Garrett. Ya it spoils a little slower but not as drastic as non owners would have people believe, its actually a blast around town and In fact it works better in town that a hybrid as you can drive it like stock and then when you want the power it’s their.
I
Yeh isnt it only like 500rpm more of lag or something
Dont mind that as the standard turbo feels very diesel like with its low and mid range and non existent top end
Sort of defeats the point of a petrol

OP
L
Thread Starter #10
I'm E30 tuned with my x47r and yeah it can get down in the city easily, but it gets "too fast" very quick at the same time. It's just nothing like a stock turbo is all lol. I'd love to feel an S280 to compare one day!
No such thing as to fast 😜 not enough traction is the issue

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
It will feel way different. Numbers are one thing, delivery/powerband is the main thing that you'll notice.

Business6

Given how different the power curves are at the upper rev range I imagine it's an extremely noticeable difference especially on the highway

IMO the gains will depend on your tires. I am of Scottish decent and am both an Engineer and also quite frugal. So my daily tires are Bridgestone All Arounds rated for 70K miles. As a result with a basic stock tune but with a higher capacity radiator and intercooler in place the engine operates exactly at the sweet spot for power and efficiency. In fact when I installed the Mountune radiator I noticed an immediate gain in fuel mileage, to the tune of 3.5 mpg in City driving. Anyhow on city streets my car is Traction Limited in 1st and 2nd gears.

It will feel a lot better once it's tuned and setup. If you actually look at the dynos and the useable rpm you'd be actually operating the engine in during wot, I don't think you'll see the larger turbos giving much up to a stock turbo or a hybrid. People who fret about big turbos or buy half assed hybrids have probably never owned any kind of car with a proper turbo upgrade. They are physically more reliable, nicer to the engine, and nicer to the drivetrain. There also isn't any point in trying to put 300torque thru the front wheels at 2500rpm on a street tire. It's just silly. And then you're never even in that rpm range again when running thru the gears at wot. Like I said, only the people who don't know any better are fans....

I've owned probably 20 to 25 cars with full turbo upgrades. I always do it right away. Large hybrid turbos are an emap x imap nightmare at the boost pressures people run them at. I don't think anybody would run a hybrid if tuners tested/monitored and released those figures. They often are only balanced to about 50%-70% of the shaft speeds of a factory built turbo(I'm not speaking about any hybrid in particular, but entry level equipment and time constraints often limit builders to those low rpm). They are adding tons of weight; mid sized frame wheels onto stock tiny frame shafts.

One of my closest friends was a borg warner engineer at their NC and Brazilian turbo plants. He had me using extended tip schwitzer turbos nearly a decade before bw bought them out and released them as their airwerks line. He strongly recommends people avoid small turbo shop built hybrids. These days, you can get a bolt on turbo for a reasonable price on so many platforms. There is no reason to. Especially when you consider you'll probably be replacing or rebuilding the hybrid before you expected.....

Don't even get me started on the hybrids that are so large that they have full turbo upgrade lag. Why would you want all the design compromises of a hybrid along with noticeably worse response?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
It will feel a lot better once it's tuned and setup. If you actually look at the dynos and the useable rpm you'd be actually operating the engine in during wot, I don't think you'll see the larger turbos giving much up to a stock turbo or a hybrid. People who fret about big turbos or buy half assed hybrids have probably never owned any kind of car with a proper turbo upgrade. They are physically more reliable, nicer to the engine, and nicer to the drivetrain. There also isn't any point in trying to put 300torque thru the front wheels at 2500rpm on a street tire. It's just silly. And then you're never even in that rpm range again when running thru the gears at wot. Like I said, only the people who don't know any better are fans....

I've owned probably 20 to 25 cars with full turbo upgrades. I always do it right away. Large hybrid turbos are an emap x imap nightmare at the boost pressures people run them at. I don't think anybody would run a hybrid if tuners tested/monitored and released those figures. They often are only balanced to about 50%-70% of the shaft speeds of a factory built turbo(I'm not speaking about any hybrid in particular, but entry level equipment and time constraints often limit builders to those low rpm). They are adding tons of weight; mid sized frame wheels onto stock tiny frame shafts.

One of my closest friends was a borg warner engineer at their NC and Brazilian turbo plants. He had me using extended tip schwitzer turbos nearly a decade before bw bought them out and released them as their airwerks line. He strongly recommends people avoid small turbo shop built hybrids. These days, you can get a bolt on turbo for a reasonable price on so many platforms. There is no reason to. Especially when you consider you'll probably be replacing or rebuilding the hybrid before you expected.....

Don't even get me started on the hybrids that are so large that they have full turbo upgrade lag. Why would you want all the design compromises of a hybrid along with noticeably worse response?
1649371793134.png

It’ll run good but NOTHING like a motorcycle. Maybe a 250…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk