Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to disable the double honk when you close the door and exit if running?

This is MASSIVELY embarrassing.

In my 2016, if you have the key in your pocket and you crank the car and get out of it and shut the door(which I do all the time and have done for years...moving cars around, warming up etc...), the car double-honks at full volume to remind you the car is running without the key inside it. Of course the key wouldn't be in it...it has a push button start AND the convenience of door unlocking and locking on the door handle. There is no reason to take the key out of your pocket ever.

So at 5:30AM my shit double honks at full blast. The neighbors are eventually going to get pissed. It is frankly embarrassing and I don't know why the hell Ford would do this sh!t.

Does anyone know if it can be coded out? Or is there a way I can defeat this function manually? I figure worse case scenario I could yank the horn altogether and put in a Dixie air horn with a separate button for when I actually need it :)

This seems to be a common "problem" and I haven't seen a fix for it yet. These type of things used have a way to disable them in the owner's manual ("lock and unlock the car 6 times within 15 seconds while holding down the seatbelt release...") but I haven't been able to find anything on it. I've just started leaving the door open when I need to get out, as long as I'm not in the street.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Supposedly it can be coded out. I've seen some people that had the bootleg software but also some legit sources that will provide the file for the dealer to work with. I'm thinking of going that route unless I can find something to unplug or splice to eliminate this crap.

OP
A
Thread Starter #4
Just followed up with a fellow who provides coding files for dealers to use to disable this...unfortunately his method is not compatible with the Fiesta programming.

So still in search...

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
could wire a switch to the horn. Little hackerish but gets the job done. Can locate the switch internally to enable it when you drive.

could wire a switch to the horn. Little hackerish but gets the job done. Can locate the switch internally to enable it when you drive.
What about wiring a second switch to the steering wheel horn, so the horn only works when the horn button is actually pressed?

Sent from my Spaceship

koozy

3000 Post Club
got an Accessport? I checked your build thread, didn't see any mention of one. Also gotta wonder if that light weight battery has sufficient resting state of charge to not trip the accessories and cause wonkiness. perhaps put the stock battery back in to test and see if it honks with the OE battery.

got an Accessport? I checked your build thread, didn't see any mention of one. Also gotta wonder if that light weight battery has sufficient resting state of charge to not trip the accessories and cause wonkiness. perhaps put the stock battery back in to test and see if it honks with the OE battery.
Not my thread, but I can attest that it honks with a factory battery. It's apparently a "feature".

Sent from my Spaceship

koozy

3000 Post Club
Not my thread, but I can attest that it honks with a factory battery. It's apparently a "feature".

Sent from my Spaceship
I had this happen with the OE battery too and how I solved the issue was flash a new map with the Accessport. So, the question now is does he have an Accessport.

I had this happen with the OE battery too and how I solved the issue was flash a new map with the Accessport. So, the question now is does he have an Accessport.
Was this a custom tune? I have an AP with otc cobb times and it does it still...

Sent from my Spaceship

OP
A
Thread Starter #12
Yeah, this is definitely a feature. It was implemented on later builds I believe so some don't have it. Mine is a 2016. Did it from day 1 before any mods.

That's a great idea about the second switch. I think I'm going to play around with everything and try to figure out what triggers what and assess my options for defeating it without losing the horns.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Have you tried using the key fob to lock instead? I use the key fob and it doesn't honk, it doesn't flash the lights either though. The good news is usually when I do it, it is quiet enough to hear them lock.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thread Starter #15
The locking isn't the issue though. It's cranking the car and then getting out and shutting the door. That's when it honks. Right when the door shuts. It's really hard to break that habit of shutting the door when the car is running and I need to go get something or let the car warm up.

pull key fob out of pocket, leave it in the center console as car warms up with window down enough to reach in.
Car will not lock with key inside car. Leaving key in car has been my only solution.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Lay the key fob on the roof, sunroof or windshield before you close the door. It kind of tricks the car into thinking the key is still inside after you close the door and it won't honk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
The locking isn't the issue though. It's cranking the car and then getting out and shutting the door. That's when it honks. Right when the door shuts. It's really hard to break that habit of shutting the door when the car is running and I need to go get something or let the car warm up.
Oh I see. I think mine only honked if I closed the door and then hit the keyless entry button to lock, but I'm not sure. That was a long time ago when that last happened.

Have you checked the manual? Right after I bought my car it annoyed me that all the doors would unlock on the first press of the unlock button of the key fob. Especially since my last car with keyless didn't do that. I read the manual and found out that I could change the setting. Had to open the fob and do some maneuver I don't remember at the moment.

So perhaps a solution is in the manual. When I checked it, the section regarding the key fob was quite large and seemed to address nearly every issue. It is not as painful as it seems and the index or table of contents should help you find what you need fairly quickly.

Sent using Tapatalk