Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to disconnect this wiring connector

GregST

Installing an ITG Maxogen intake in my US 2017 Fiesta ST. It requires a relocation of the below connector (which there is not enough slack on the US 2017 model). I have unsheathed the wire to the point of getting enough slack, but to relocate i need to undo the connector. I tried pushing/pulling on the grey connector with no luck. Am I missing anything?

Wiring Connector.jpg

haste

1000 Post Club
I believe you should be able to push the lock handle on top and the connector should slide apart. I have yet to take this connector apart on the FiST so I can't tell you for sure.

If I remember correctly, you just pull the lever back to unlock the two parts-slides out easy after that. Whatever you do, don't break it.

OP
G

GregST

Thread Starter #4
Thanks guys. I used some needle nose pliers to pull the lever upward, at which point i was able to move it to left. Took a bit more force than I would have liked, but it didn't break.

Big_Red

U.S. Navy Veteran
I've run into this issue. I've searched for common issues involving this wiring connector, but it seems people have covered common problems for every wiring connector but this one.

Anyone have any tricks they use to get stuck wire connectors undone?

Edit: I unsheathed the connector using the lock handle, it appears nothing else is holding it in place?

I'm installing an ITG intake and for USA models you have to disconnect this connector to reroute the harness. As I release the gray handle, the male connector moves outward a bit. I can then pull it outward slightly more, and then it stops. Is there an additional latch or catch I have to release? I've pulled with a lot of force, and it won't release.

I just had this issue and I had to work the gray handle for a while to break whatever dirt/grime seal had developed, then just ultimately pull really hard. It takes patience for sure. Use the downtime when you're pissed off at it to cut back the wiring look you'll need to give yourself enough slack to wrap the connector around the washer reservoir.

Attachments

Thanks Dale. Yeah, that was fun.
I shot some contact cleaner inside, around the edges. It slightly budged, but was still sticking after slightly moving. I waited for the contact cleaner to evaporate and then put the heat gun on it. It finally wiggled a little bit and I was gradually able to separate it. I cleaned it well and put a little Syl-Glyde where the plastic was most scuffed

After reconnecting it, I did not disconnect it again, just to see if the cleaning and Syl-Glyde helped. :)