Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How To - Fiesta ST Homelink Mirror with Tempurature and Compass Installation

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Mirror Instructions Provided By Ford

Installation Instructions
Items Needed:
Homelink Mirror Part Number: 4L3Z-17700-B
Two - Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse (From Amazon)
Zip Ties
Wire Cutter
Rachit / Socket
Small flat head screwdriver
Large flat head screwdriver

Added Features:
1. Homelink
2. Compass
3. Autodimming
4. Thermostat

Homelink Mirror

Step 1 - Remove both the passenger and driver side a-pillar panels.

Start by pulling back the weather strip to easier remove the a-pillar panel.

Step 2 - Remove the glove box.
You will need to remove the glove box to gain access to the fuse box.

Step 3 - Remove the stock mirror.
Using a flat head lift the mirror from the mount. The mirror should slide upwards and out with a little wiggle.

Step 4 - Locate and remove fuse F11 and F4.
F1 - Vehicle ignition / Remote power.
F4 - Power for mirror.

Step 5 - Installing the Power cable.
Run the power cable along the headliner and passenger side a-pillar.

There's small hole where you and run the cable down to the fusebox.

Step 6 - Installing the Power cable to the fusebox using the fuse taps.
Copper Wire (Black with white stripes) attaches to F1 (20 amp). Silver Wire (Black) attaches to F2 (7.5 amp).

Mount the ground wire here.

Step 7 - Remove the passenger side headlight and installing the temperature sensor.

I mounted the temperature sensor to the front bumper.

You will need to feed the other end through the firewall.

Step 8 - Feeding the temperature sensor wire back up to the mirror.
I used a wire and fed it down the driver side a pillar towards the bottom. Then I tied it to the sensor wire and pulled it back up the same path.

Step 9 - Installing the the sensor wire to the mirror plug.
Using the similar technique as feeding the power wire beneath the headliner, I also did the same thing for the sensor wire. Then using a small screwdriver I pushed the pins into the plug.

Step 10 - Mount the mirror and plug in the power.
Mounting the mirror is very easy as it just slides into place, you may need to tap the mirror mount down to make it secure. I just used the backend of a crescent wrench that has a rubber grip.

Step 11 - Setting the Homelink and calibrating the mirror.
If you get the "OC" message don't panic that that means the temperature sensor wires pins need to be pushed in further into socket. To calibrate the compass, you'll need to hold down on the compass button for 9 seconds until a "CAL" appears in the display. Then drive around in a circle at 5mph until this is complete.

To set the Homelink go here:
[video=youtube;mvoKBm7h3aY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvoKBm7h3aY[/video]

Step 12 - Final results.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys, glad everyone found it useful. It's definitely a lengthy mod, but worth it. Ford should have never cut this from the NA Fiesta ST options list.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Awesome, that looks like a factory fit! I am totally useless when it comes to wiring things, but I appreciate that clean install! [twothumb]

Can this be installed without the temp sensor? The car already has one and would like to avoid the extra install time.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #13
Thanks guys.

Can this be installed without the temp sensor? The car already has one and would like to avoid the extra install time.
Absolutely. Everything will work just fine except you'll see an "OC" where the reading would normally be.

Basically you'll still get the auto-dim, compass and Homelink.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Great install. I'm thinking of asking for one for my bday. Two questions, do you have tinted windows, and if so, does the auto dimming work well with tinted windows? How hard must you push the homelink button to get it to activate? Can you estimate range vs the visor type of garage door opener? Same, longer or shorter? Thanks for your answers. I already wired my radar detector, so this should be a pretty easy mod.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #15
Great install. I'm thinking of asking for one for my bday. Two questions, do you have tinted windows, and if so, does the auto dimming work well with tinted windows? How hard must you push the homelink button to get it to activate? Can you estimate range vs the visor type of garage door opener? Same, longer or shorter? Thanks for your answers. I already wired my radar detector, so this should be a pretty easy mod.
The auto-dim works fine with my tinted windows. The homelink buttons are easy to push, but the range is not as good as the remotes. I would have to be close to the bottom of the driveway to be able to open the garage. Whereas before I would be able to open the garage as I'm driving up to the house. Either way I still prefer the convenience of the homelink over the standard remotes.

TheStig

Thanks guys.

Absolutely. Everything will work just fine except you'll see an "OC" where the reading would normally be.

Basically you'll still get the auto-dim, compass and Homelink.
Thats alot of work but the price well worth auto-dimming

There are two things I miss from my Grand Cherokee. One was the adaptive cruise control and the other was Homelink. This would solve one of them. It's just nice to not have trashy looking remotes stuck on the visor.

Already have Auto dimming mirror, dont need remotes for gate or garage, and I dont need a compass. It does look pretty cool, but I will pass on this one. PLUS, converted from USD to ZAR plus shipping and duties, it is a aVERY expensive gadget mod for us.