Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How To Ship Stock Rims

Trader history for TERAWR (1)

After receiving enough damaged rims from various forum members because of rough handling I think this post will be useful for anyone shipping a bare rim.

There are some issues when shipping a painted rim;
The problem with the stock rims is the paint is kind of brittle and cannot handle any impact from dropping without ruining the finish. The results look like this.

Many, if not all, of you are reusing boxes from new sets which isn't a problem for the faces but the biggest potential damage spots are the lips.

To protect the lip from damage extra care must be taken using, 2-3 layers of cardboard on the sides and an extra layer on top. Labeling your box with "THIS END UP" so they ship flat will also be helpful.

The main takeaway here is that the lip is much more prone to damage from shipping than the face is and it's both frustrating for the shipper and the receiver when a company fails at their ONE JOB.

For additional ideas and details this blog has a comprehensive guide.

Another idea would be to take one of those pool noodles or pipe insulation and go around the rim. Sure, it sounds nuts but it's better than having to go through 6 weeks of hell to get a claim processed.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Good idea. Another options you may talk to a local rim shop and request any packaging they are throwing out from their clients buying rims. You will get some nice box and even foam padding.

Bravo spoon. I thought I was the only one. They are wheels, not rims. The wheel HAS a rim. It's the thing that gets the curb rash. The entire piece of metal that is bolted onto the car is called a wheel. I'm weeping tears of happiness that I'm not alone.

Also glad to see that I am not alone in this struggle. We'll fix this brother, one thread at a time!

Wheel vs. Rim

Rim

Rimz

OP
TERAWR
Thread Starter #6
We could split hairs or we can package "wheels" to not arrive damaged, your call.

I've always interpreted it as this.

Wheel = complete with rubber

Tire = rubber part of wheel

Rim = metal part of wheel that attaches to vehicle

Could be regional too.

Hairs have already been split my friend! [emoji481]

Back on topic, I also have received shipment of wheels where there was some scuf***e on the lip area. The times my wheels have arrived safely and undamaged are when the person put an extra cardboard atop the wheel face, with the edges folded over the wheel lip. Seemed like a PITA for them to do but in the end, wheels were safe and undamaged.

Good tips OP!

Not regional. Generational. Just like the word Swag. The Millennials have butchered the word, completely unaware of it's actual meaning. Swag is an acronym (S.W.A.G.) meaning: Stuff We All Get. I coach high school football. The shirts and clothing the coaches are issued are coach's SWAG. A player I coach came up to me and liked the watch I was wearing. He tells me, "That watch is swag, coach." I'm glad you like it, but ummm...no it's not. I'm the only one who has it, it's not swag. I then had to do a 5 minute lecture on why it's not what he thought it was. A teachable moment if you will.

"That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" No, it wasn't. I didn't hear you say anything before (whatever just happened).

Rims are the outer edge of the WHEEL...the part that meets the rim of the tire. The rubber is the tire. That is what one asks for when they go into a Just TIRES Store, American TIRE company, or Big O TIRE. I bought my XXR wheels at Wheels N Motion in Pomona, CA. They, at no point, referred to the wheels as rims. At no point, during the two hours I was there, did I even hear the word "rims". All the literature from the manufacturers read, "wheels" when referring to the 'metal' thing the tires go onto. TireRack.com, DiscoutTireDirect.com, customwheeloffset.com, enkei.com, americanracing.com, motegiracing.com, ultrawheel.com (this list can go on forever) all refer to them as WHEELS, not rims. The websites that sell both tires and wheels have drop down menus that read "WHEELS" and "TIRES". The word 'rims' is nowhere to be found.

If people in a region are calling them "rims", I would seriously consider moving away from that region as quickly as possible.

I know what I must sound like when I write this and when someone reads this. I believe I sound like a "Richard", and in most ways that person would be correct. Just consider it venting due to the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Back to the topic: I have thought about shipping the painted WHEELS I have for sale on this site, but I was more worried about the cost than the damage. I have them listed for local pickup only. The people at the place I bought my new wheels packed up the originals in the boxes the new ones shipped in. They have an extra layer of cardboard that lays over the top of the painted side and also wraps around the edge of the RIM of the WHEEL. I'm sure it's just fine for local transportation, but not cross state/country shipping with a company. Would packing peanuts help to fill in the empty spaces or is it useless extra weight?