Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hybrid turbo smoking at idle. Oil leaking.

DangerMouse

So my car just started smoking at idle when the car is warm. I would also notice some smoke occasionally from the front of the car. Pulled the intake and looked under the car. The oil feed and drain lines look to be good. But there is oil leaking from the center section. Is the center clamp something that could be tightened or since it’s already burning oil, I’m most likely doomed LOL.

Attachments

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #3
Looks toast, but I could be wrong. Is the vband tight? I'd bet Ron can get them rebuilt for a good price if it's a whoosh hybrid.
I can’t quite get to the nut on the vband. I will try again this weekend when it’s cooler out and I have more time. It is a whoosh, i didn’t want to say and scare anyone. I’m not upset or blaming anyone. Things happen. Unfortunately I had an s280 I had sell brand new a few months ago. Really wish I would have kept it now.

PhoenixM3

I can’t quite get to the nut on the vband. I will try again this weekend when it’s cooler out and I have more time. It is a whoosh, i didn’t want to say and scare anyone. I’m not upset or blaming anyone. Things happen. Unfortunately I had an s280 I had sell brand new a few months ago. Really wish I would have kept it now.
Have I got a deal for you

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #8
To update this the nut to the vband is tucked in under the manifold. Can't get to it without pulling the turbo out. Turbo started making a howling siren sound. I thought I was getting pulled over at first LOL. Then even more burning oil and smoke not just at idle. Currently pulling the turbo and got lucky whoosh had an s280 in stock.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
To update this the nut to the vband is tucked in under the manifold. Can't get to it without pulling the turbo out. Turbo started making a howling siren sound. I thought I was getting pulled over at first LOL. Then even more burning oil and smoke not just at idle. Currently pulling the turbo and got lucky whoosh had an s280 in stock.
you will be happy with the upgrade

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #10
you will be happy with the upgrade
Thanks! I’m not happy about being forced to do it at this time but it‘s better than putting a stock turbo back in. Pulled the turbo tonight, wasn’t able to get the nuts off to separate the turbo and manifold so I called it quits before I broke something :)

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Thanks! I’m not happy about being forced to do it at this time but it‘s better than putting a stock turbo back in. Pulled the turbo tonight, wasn’t able to get the nuts off to separate the turbo and manifold so I called it quits before I broke something :)
How many miles on the hybrid?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ron warranties them for a 1yr/12k miles. If you are purchasing an s280, I assume you are past the warranty period.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #13
How many miles on the hybrid?
Right around 8,000 miles.

Ron warranties them for a 1yr/12k miles. If you are purchasing an s280, I assume you are past the warranty period.
I installed it in June of 2020, so no warranty. Once I get the car back together and things settle down, I’ll talk to him about getting it rebuilt. Shit happens, no ones fault. Well probably my fault HAHA. Just one of those things.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #14
As another update, there is quite a bit of in and out shaft play. It is my understanding that it is ok for a little side to side, as long as the blades don’t touch, but it should not move in and out.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #15
Everything is done, just clearanced the block for the s280. Now I wait til Friday when everything gets here. Hopefully it fits back together just as easy. I also grabbed new oil feed and return lines. I'm not risking anything again.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #16
S280 is in. Just need to hook up the oil, coolant lines and add fluids. Getting close. For one guy working alone I'm pretty proud of myself. Pats self on back hahahaha. Oh and intake but that's easy.

Also my turbosmart shortie bov wouldn't line up to the s280 housing adapter. I had drill out one of the mounting holes on the bov a couple mm.

Last edited:

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
S280 is in. Just need to hook up the oil, coolant lines and add fluids. Getting close. For one guy working alone I'm pretty proud of myself. Pats self on back hahahaha. Oh and intake but that's easy.

Also my turbosmart shortie bov wouldn't line up to the s280 housing adapter. I had drill out one of the mounting holes on the bov a couple mm.
If you find out anything more about the hybrid let us know.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #19
If you find out anything more about the hybrid let us know.
Will do. I don't know if we will know the cause. When I was out of town my car was in a hit and run while parked on the street. The dealership that fixed it, I had do an oil change. Im thinking they didn't put 5w30 like I repeatedly asked. I should have changed it again when I got it home, but who knows at this point. I'm just hoping for my luck to turn with this car.

Will do. I don't know if we will know the cause. When I was out of town my car was in a hit and run while parked on the street. The dealership that fixed it, I had do an oil change. Im thinking they didn't put 5w30 like I repeatedly asked. I should have changed it again when I got it home, but who knows at this point. I'm just hoping for my luck to turn with this car.
Do hybrids require different oil than factory?