Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I have been reading about people with over heating issue

SrsBsns

Does that only affect certain model year?
The '14's and early year '15's had a problem that was covered by a Ford recall. I have a later build '15 and had a cooling problem due to a failed hose last year at around 40K which was not covered under warranty.

I believe that the main issues have been fixed for the '16's and up, but hopefully others can confirm that.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
From all my reading, there's an "issue" with the early USDM fists, but there are also complaints that the FiST cooling system in general is undersized. I think other countries get a 2 row radiator but we only get a 1 row? Doesn't make sense that a UK FiST would get a 2 row, but someone in AZ or TX gets a one row :p

Last edited:

green_henry

1000 Post Club
My '17 overheated at the track and I upgraded to a Mountune -- no issues since then. Even if you don't track your car, going up a long, steep grade or being stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in hot weather have also been known to cause overheating.

I am confident to say the Mountune radiator will make you and your car happy. Try to buy it during a holiday event which should mean a 20% discount ❤️$$$

OP
Hanzo
Thread Starter #6
I don't plan on tracking the car so I think I will be okay. BTW I have a 2019 maybe they minimize the issue?

I don't plan on tracking the car so I think I will be okay. BTW I have a 2019 maybe they minimize the issue?
I don’t track my car either but I do get on it. Coolant and oil temps are regularly around 195/205-216 respectively with 216 being when I’m on it. The Mountune radiator cools the engine way better than stock with no spikes in temps no matter how hard I drive. I don’t want to be in limp mode EVER 😎

I just had an overheat warning while playing in the mountains. I'm running a 2018 with minimal mods. Ambient temps were 90f and both oil and coolant were north of 245f after about five minutes of hard driving.

does the mountune radiator help oil temps with a line off of it or no?
I believe the mountune radiator fits the same as oem. With stock with the oil is cooled via a coolant line running through the oil heat sink at the base of the oil filter.

Mikey456

Do these cars overheat often even with a stock tune? I understand when you add a tune and increase boost you end up with more heat which you can rectify with a intercooler. Is it mostly racing conditions that causes the overheating? Seems like a more common occurrence then I thought.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So yes, while the '14-early '15 recall was for an actual safety issue, these all do run hot in general from having only a one -row radiator with a total of 6.5qt coolant capacity... now some people have more trouble than others due to low coolant, air pockets or AC issues, I'm having mine checked out tonight for this.

Listen up FiSTers! The Mountune radiator is a must have period. If I did one mod and one mod only it would be this radiator. Number 2 would be an intercooler. Heat is the enemy and these 2 things make heat issues go away. I won’t say any more about unless y’all make me say more about it [?|]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I will definitely do a radiator upgrade at some point no doubt about it. If it was my daily driver I would have already done it but it's not, and it never sees stop and go traffic. It's definitely on my list for sure.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Listen up FiSTers! The Mountune radiator is a must have period. If I did one mod and one mod only it would be this radiator. Number 2 would be an intercooler. Heat is the enemy and these 2 things make heat issues go away. I won’t say any more about unless y’all make me say more about it [?|]
Intercooler is one thing for performance, but no, I shouldn't have to buy a $550 radiator (or a $300 one that's harder to install) to just not overheat simply driving my car normally in the summer. Dealer couldn't reproduce the problem last night, UGH.

SrsBsns

Intercooler is one thing for performance, but no, I shouldn't have to buy a $550 radiator (or a $300 one that's harder to install) to just not overheat simply driving my car normally in the summer. Dealer couldn't reproduce the problem last night, UGH.
I hear you, and I agree with you. But... after I overheated taking my FiST through the mountains, I decided that I'm going to be going with the Mountune rad. Especially given the fact that these cars don't like to give you a warning that they're getting hot until the idiot gauge suddenly jumps from normal to max temps.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I hear you, and I agree with you. But... after I overheated taking my FiST through the mountains, I decided that I'm going to be going with the Mountune rad. Especially given the fact that these cars don't like to give you a warning that they're getting hot until the idiot gauge suddenly jumps from normal to max temps.
On my '17 it did go up to just the one notch before full, and since I have an AP and saw that it hit 242, I think it went to that one notch above the max "normal" at 240, but not sure what is considered a full HOT and official overheat, is it 250, anyone know? But I really shouldn't have to be that close driving very gently when not even quite 100 out and low humidity.

SrsBsns

On my '17 it did go up to just the one notch before full, and since I have an AP and saw that it hit 242, I think it went to that one notch above the max "normal" at 240, but not sure what is considered a full HOT and official overheat, is it 250, anyone know? But I really shouldn't have to be that close driving very gently when not even quite 100 out and low humidity.
That's a good question that I'd like to know too.

I hate sitting in traffic on hot days, having my anxiety creep through the roof, wondering if I'm going to overheat/hit limp mode for running the AC while in stop-and-go traffic. I can't wait to install the new radiator and not worry about it.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
That's a good question that I'd like to know too.

I hate sitting in traffic on hot days, having my anxiety creep through the roof, wondering if I'm going to overheat/hit limp mode for running the AC while in stop-and-go traffic. I can't wait to install the new radiator and not worry about it.
Yep, gonna have to bite the bullet and at least get the unbranded version of the PumaSpeed 2 row for $285...

I just swapped in the Mountune + Whoosh hoses. Also changed to 25% coolant + Redline WW. It gets pretty hot here (will break 115* on occasion) and my 18 can't keep up on those extreme days with traffic. I don't need the subzero antifreeze protection. YMMV there.

Also oddly enough, my car came with a 180* thermostat from the factory. Took the housing apart for nothing.