Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I might have a tranny issue...

(Pre-context: I just bought my fiesta no that long ago and it only has 4200 on it, i did a sound Symposer delete and I straight piped it from the cat back) I was driving regularly in fourth gear and all of a sudden my engine was just revving and not accelerating. It would just keep revving and wouldn’t allow me to move very far once I made it to a stoplight. Now the clutch pedal feels heavier and I’m smelling fumes coming from the engine bay. Can anyone help me find out what is going on?

OP
Legiondary
Thread Starter #2
I got the straight pipe around 2200 miles and I also just changed my oil cause it was getting low. Used the same type of oil and oil filter that ford recommends.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Does it smell like asbestos? Or cooked brakes ( same type of smell) you might have fried the clutch. Did you know how to drive clutch before buying the car? Question would be why would your stock clutch fry that fast. Oh and yes it sounds like your clutch is fried description wise.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Does it smell like asbestos? Or cooked brakes ( same type of smell) you might have fried the clutch. Did you know how to drive clutch before buying the car? Question would be why would your stock clutch fry that fast. Oh and yes it sounds like your clutch is fried description wise.
Your right it's the clutch.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
The smell and the lack of forward progress does suggest a fried clutch. The classic test to confirm is to pull up against a barrier of some kind with the bumper and start releasing the clutch after shifting into 1st. If the car doesn't stall - you have a dead clutch.

I'm assuming it isn't the first MT car for you? If so, you may want to see if the OO was hamfooted.

My first thought was that you have a hose popped off from, e.g., the intercooler - but that wouldn't explain the rather drastic effects you described.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The smell and the lack of forward progress does suggest a fried clutch. The classic test to confirm is to pull up against a barrier of some kind with the bumper and start releasing the clutch after shifting into 1st. If the revs go up and the car doesn't stall - you have a dead clutch.

I'm assuming it isn't the first MT car for you? If so, you may want to see if the OO was hamfooted.

My first thought was that you have a hose popped off from, e.g., the intercooler - but that wouldn't explain the rather drastic effects you described.
I checked back on his intro post. It was a dealer transferred car he bought new.
So there is definitely a chance someone abused the cluthc hard somewhere along the line.

OP
Legiondary
Thread Starter #7
No I’ve only ever driven manuals. I’ve never had this happen before and yes it smells exactly like that.

OP
Legiondary
Thread Starter #8
I checked back on his intro post. It was a dealer transferred car he bought new.
So there is definitely a chance someone abused the cluthc hard somewhere along the line.
I was thinking the same thing when it happened.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
You get a new clutch.
Problem is, they're going to do major surgery on a new car, and they don't work on a lot of FiSTs.
They might do it perfect, but probably not.

I've checked the work of a lot of mechanics, after driving home and looking under the hood, and I have horror stories from hell. Good luck.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It’s a brand new car. And it only had 200 when I got it from another dealership.
200 Hard miles by some SCHMUCK at the other dealer is my guess....I bought my car with like 32 miles on it....17 of them were from my test drive![rockon]