Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Increase low RPM torque?

Hi,

What can I do to improve low RPM torque? (preferably nothing too complex or expensive).

Thanks!

Hi,

What can I do to improve low RPM torque? (preferably nothing too complex or expensive).

Thanks!
Accessport definitely!!! I agree, but you already have a tremendous amount of torque for a 1.6L I4. Should try a Civic sometime... Nothing down low! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
ya, get an Accessport. there's a used one for sale on this forum for $400. how's an extra 100lb-ft sound at 3000rpm?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Accessport definitely!!! I agree, but you already have a tremendous amount of torque for a 1.6L I4. Should try a Civic sometime... Nothing down low! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
So true (on both points). w/r/t torque, my Acura TSX is severely lacking in comparison to my FiST; it's a shame that Honda has taken so long to embrace turbos -- hopefully the Type R will beget a turbo ILX or TLX

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
So true (on both points). w/r/t torque, my Acura TSX is severely lacking in comparison to my FiST; it's a shame that Honda has taken so long to embrace turbos -- hopefully the Type R will beget a turbo ILX or TLX
it's bound to happen. the Accord Sport 2.0T is becoming a hit. they're idiots if they don't bring it over to Acura.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
I see that the Cobb access port improves torque with a 'stage 1' kit, and wonder if it also improves a completely stock car?

Aside from this, what would be the most effective way to further improve low RPM Torque?
A High-flow catalytic converter, or a mod to the air intake, or other?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Get a access port from stratified with one of their tunes. The tune they make for you is based on the mods you have. Really all you need is an upgraded intercooler to run a aggressive tune. You could also have a tune for a completely stock car, just won't be made as aggressive. If you have 93 where you live use it.
I see that the Cobb access port improves torque with a 'stage 1' kit, and wonder if it also improves a completely stock car?

Aside from this, what would be the most effective way to further improve low RPM Torque?
Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
The car's not going to explode if you don't have an RMM. You just can't launch or shift it as hard. Drop-in filter doesn't do much. Not enough for the computer to not be able to accommodate any difference. But thanks for sharing your opinion.

A "Stage 1" off the shelf tune can be run on a completely stock car. This gives you a lot of low end, but does no do much for the top end. The intercooler is the FIRST bottleneck in the car's systems. You have to replace it with an aftermarket unit to run more than a "Stage 1" off the shelf tunes. It just is too much heat for the stock intercooler to handle otherwise.

The second bottleneck is the spark plugs. You need a step colder running a 0.026-0.028" gap. This would be a Denso ITV-22 or the NGK equivalent that I can't remember.

Now, for this particular platform with the stock turbo, an intake does nothing. I am running a different turbo at ~290HP/305TQ. At this point the stock intake becomes a restriction at ~29 lbs air per minute. It just makes noise and looks cool on a stock turbo car. Additionally, on this platform with the stock turbo, downpipes and catbacks do nothing. They make cool noises though, but the intakes and exhausts are not restrictions.

If you want to go cheap, do it like this:

Accessport "Stage 1" Tune -> Intercooler -> Spark Plugs -> Acessport "Stage 3" tune.

With this setup you get like ~98% of the stock turbos potential for the cheapest price. For that last 2%, you are going to spend a lot of money just for maybe 5 HP.

Now if you swap the turbo, the order of restriction is first the Downpipe, charge pipes, then the Intake, then the Catback. But you don't see gains worth the money in the stock turbo, they are only realized with a larger turbo. You are better off just getting a turbo swap done with a Downpipe, then get the intake and Catback done later.

A "Stage 1" off the shelf tune can be run on a completely stock car. This gives you a lot of low end, but does no do much for the top end. The intercooler is the FIRST bottleneck in the car's systems. You have to replace it with an aftermarket unit to run more than a "Stage 1" off the shelf tunes. It just is too much heat for the stock intercooler to handle otherwise.

The second bottleneck is the spark plugs. You need a step colder running a 0.026-0.028" gap. This would be a Denso ITV-22 or the NGK equivalent that I can't remember.

Now, for this particular platform with the stock turbo, an intake does nothing. I am running a different turbo at ~290HP/305TQ. At this point the stock intake becomes a restriction at ~29 lbs air per minute. It just makes noise and looks cool on a stock turbo car. Additionally, on this platform with the stock turbo, downpipes and catbacks do nothing. They make cool noises though, but the intakes and exhausts are not restrictions.

If you want to go cheap, do it like this:

Accessport "Stage 1" Tune -> Intercooler -> Spark Plugs -> Acessport "Stage 3" tune.

With this setup you get like ~98% of the stock turbos potential for the cheapest price. For that last 2%, you are going to spend a lot of money just for maybe 5 HP.

Now if you swap the turbo, the order of restriction is first the Downpipe, charge pipes, then the Intake, then the Catback. But you don't see gains worth the money in the stock turbo, they are only realized with a larger turbo. You are better off just getting a turbo swap done with a Downpipe, then get the intake and Catback done later.
I think he should just do a turbo swap and forged engine, most logical option for more torque... lol... [histerical] (I 100% agree with everything you mentioned)

So to beat the dead horse one more time... and make it simple (step 1-2 can be done out of order)
1. Install Accessport
2. Install RMM
3. Install Intercooler
4. Correctly gap spark plugs (step colder plugs may be needed)
5. Install tune from a specialized FiST tuner (Cobb OTS tunes add a little but a lot is left to be desired)

And to those who get this joke... Blue spring two shims, for all the torques.

OP
M
Thread Starter #14
Thanks guys!

I think the main issue on my FiST is the turbo spool-up time, that causes slower acceleration.
When I rev it high before releasing the clutch, it accelerates very nicely.

Thanks guys!

I think the main issue on my FiST is the turbo spool-up time, that causes slower acceleration.
Lol you have no idea how fast that little turbo spools up.

You should do more research and look at dynos graphs of stock vs. tuned on a stock turbo.
Also remind yourself that it is a small 4 cylinder engine so the RPMs need to be up a little higher to flow some air and spool any turbo for that matter.

The boost threshold for the stock turbo is very low compared to a "larger" turbo.

What did you drive before if that this doesn't spool up fast?

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks guys!

[MENTION=9864]ProDigit[/MENTION] is back, playing nice this time with a nom de plume. Welcome [MENTION=10060]MeeLee[/MENTION], please leave [MENTION=9864]ProDigit[/MENTION] at home.

There's a *ton* of information on this site. Please take some time to learn about your car and avoid making false statements when you really mean to ask a question.

There is a factory-tuned torque limit in 1st and 2nd. A tune will take car of that. Lack of low end torque is not a common complaint. Rather, lack of traction in 1st and 2nd (and 3rd) is a much more common complaint from even lightly modified FiSTs.

[MENTION=9864]ProDigit[/MENTION] is back, playing nice this time with a nom de plume. Welcome [MENTION=10060]MeeLee[/MENTION], please leave [MENTION=9864]ProDigit[/MENTION] at home.

There's a *ton* of information on this site. Please take some time to learn about your car and avoid making false statements when you really mean to ask a question.

There is a factory-tuned torque limit in 1st and 2nd. A tune will take car of that. Lack of low end torque is not a common complaint. Rather, lack of traction in 1st and 2nd (and 3rd) is a much more common complaint from even lightly modified FiSTs.
Holy crap! I didn't notice this so I just did a profile lurk and omg... what a coincidence... good old Florida.

There is always one Florida guy ruining it for the rest of us lol.