Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

induction cleaning

So I've got 22k miles and I'm gonna do a oil catch can here soon since it seems like our cars have a lot of blow-by. But I'm thinking with 22k miles, I probably have some oil build up in my induction system already. What's the best way to clean out the induction system before I put in the catch can? Probably do it just before 25k miles so I can change the oil and plugs right after... Thanks!

My mom's 3.6 Saturn is a direct injection motor. Last time I changed the oil I pulled the rubber intake hose out and a bunch of black syrup oozed out. I used brake cleaner to swab it out, and used an EFI-safe spray to clean out the throttle body.

vacuum induced seafoam. And do it proper, where you actually stall the car right out on it and let it sit for a bit. Injector based ones won't clean anything because they don't spray the intake valves/runners which is the inherent problem with DI engines. The catch can is a good idea too.

vacuum induced seafoam. And do it proper, where you actually stall the car right out on it and let it sit for a bit. Injector based ones won't clean anything because they don't spray the intake valves/runners which is the inherent problem with DI engines...
Anyone have a good write-up on this yet? Thanks.

Honestly, follow the directions on the bottle but that's basically it. Use an easily accessed vacuum hose and spray it in there while having someone hold the rpms around 2000rpm, then stall it out on it.

I think ChrisFix did a good vid on it on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I thought seafoam was a big no-no for some reason? I could have sworn I read that somewhere in here...

Sent from my Spaceship

I just saw Gumout Regain Direct Injection intake spray cleaner on clearance at Walmart for $4 a can. I did some quick research on my phone at the store and saw a few references in forums saying that Ford is warning not to use cleaner sprays through the intake tract as they can cause premature turbo failure. That was enough to make me put it back on the shelf, and if Seafoam is bad for this application maybe that's why as well.

Don't get me wrong, Seafoam is a good product and has saved me from having to tear down a few motorcycle carbs in my day.

But, considering that anything that goes into the intake goes through the turbo as well is something to consider.

These references said that carbon buildup is most common on Ecoboost cars that are used for short trips. YMMM.

Vacuum lines don't go to your turbo inlet. Injector based cleaners go through the same parts of the turbo as a vacuum induced one, but they don't touch your intake manifold (which is post-turbine).

We do injector cleaning services on vehicles daily at our dealership and many others. We do it through the vacuum line and the injection system (spliced into the low pressure side) and haven't seen any adverse effects, but I have seen what a lack of maintenance will do.

Pete, from some of what I've read, buildup is common in cars that are driven short distances without fully warming up.

In your experience from working on GDI engines, if a car is typically run at highway speed for most of its use, do you see as much carbon buildup?

Yes, any DI engine will experience intake buildup it's just a matter of delaying the inevitable. Short tripping doesn't help, but I've never pulled an ecoboost head with clean intake valves. DI engines look backwards when you open them up, the intake valves are caked, the exhaust side is clean.

Brura22

I've had an oil catch can on and have sprayed water/meth since mile 4...
I imagine mine are decent lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I would suspect so. I've had a catch can on since about 2000km, I'm gonna scope my intake and my buddy's who's got like 14k km on his without one. I know my catch can has picked up enough already that I'm sure glad it's installed.

Mine catches quite a bit. And my commute is a 20 mile one-way, so short trips are rare...