Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Injen SP Air Intake For Fiesta ST - REVIEW

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
http://blog.modbargains.com/expert-review-injen-air-intake-ford-fiesta-st/

The full review can be found at the link above.

Welcome to another Expert Review – We at ModBargains got the word from Injen that their new SP Tuned Intake System for 2014 Ford Fiesta ST was now out of the prototype stage and that the final production part is ready- and now available at ModBargains. We got our hands on one of the first intake systems for Fiesta ST and had to give it a try for ourselves.

I've previously discussed the different types of Air Intake Upgrades – this particular intake for Fiesta ST is a “Short Ram” type that adds a conical filter just ahead of the mass air sensor, but also replaces the entire intake tract rear of the MAF sensor to the turbocharger inlet. The OEM Fiesta ST Intake System, while a true ram-air type system, it's restrictive and the integrated silencer baffles keep you from enjoying the happy spool of your turbo.

As an enthusiast myself, I have been waiting to upgrade my intake system as nothing up until now was an appealing option – the few competing systems on the market now require cutting or modifying the EGR/PCV system and even modifying the harness.

Injen‘s Intake System for the Fiesta ST is the first one available that is a true plug-n-play type upgrade. Given how many Fiesta ST owners are concerned about their warranties, the idea of a system that required no modification to other systems and left the EGR/PCV system intact was particularly attractive. California ST Owners take note, because I know you want to know: This intake does not yet carry a CARB number – It may in the future.

With a few basic hand tools (7, 8, 10, 12 and 13mm deep sockets + T20 torx), I was able to install the intake system myself in my carport in about forty minutes. I found that having a set of really wide pliers was especially valuable to pop the vacuum connections off their retainers without destroying their retainer clips. I found that the most difficult part of the installation was actually removing the old intake tube that connects the inlet to the junction by the battery. This tube is secured by the 12mm ball stud that the engine cover mounts to (save this and reinstall it) and a 10mm nut. Remove the nut then remove the grommet liners, then remove the grommets. This makes it much, much easier to rotate the intake tube so you can actually get it off. Aside from this minor snag, everything installed quickly and the experience was not at all frustrating.

I've been driving the car for a few days now with the Injen intake, and here are my findings. Before you even get out of your driveway the first time, you will immediately notice how much more you hear your turbocharger. This is not to say it is overly loud or drones, but rather, you actually hear the turbo spooling – and you can hear the system let off excess pressure – giving you that cool “PSSHHH” sound most people buy a blow-off valve to get.
(Protip: The Ford Fiesta ST and Ford Focus ST do not need a Blow-Off Valve or Upgraded Wastegate Actuator – There is no performance gain for BOVs)
So, if nothing else, you will love the improved intake tone. I have been having a hard time keeping my foot out of it! In addition to now being able to actually hear your turbo doing its thing, I notice that throttle response is improved and the car definitely feels like it has a little more gusto on the ol' butt-dyno. (Dyno figures from us coming soon…)

When we picked up our intake, we got the chance to see the intakes being produced, right here in California – in the USA , as opposed to being imported. What's more, we got the chance to talk to Injen's Intake Engineers about the system for the Fiesta ST.
“We designed the system so you don't have to cut any of your EGR or PCV lines,” said one Engineer, “While we were designing the intake for the Fiesta ST, we tried several different size intake tubes – 3″ was too large for the motor, but 2.5″ hit the sweet spot and that's what we went with for final production.” Injen specializes in “Tuned” intake systems (different from ECU tuning), which tailor the air flow characteristics of the intake for maximum power and torque gains. So, what is the power gain of the tuned intake system?

Injen reports that on an otherwise Stock Ford Fiesta ST, the Injen Air Intake got +8.71 more Horsepower and +9.15 more lb/ft of torque at the front wheels on the dyno, hitting a peak of almost 190hp at the front wheels (stock baseline is around +-170) with a stock tune and this cold air intake. Given that my own Fiesta ST is running a Cobb Stage I 91 Octane map, my gains are likely a little higher because the factory computer's torque truncation in 1st and 2nd is disabled by the tune. If you're running an ECU Tune like I am, you can probably expect similarly improved gains. While an enhanced intake system also can improve fuel economy, I've not yet noticed any change in economy – neither improved nor decreased (I will update this if I do).

In closing, if you want a little more fun out of your Fiesta ST, this Injen Intake will definitely deliver. You'll feel the added power, but you'll hear the difference with every shift, and having that spool and blow off valve sound really does makes every drive a little more fun. If you've got a little cash burning a hole in your pocket, picking up one of these intake systems is a fantastic idea and delivers real, tangible wheel-horsepower increases (many upgrade “gain” figures are Crankshaft HP, not Wheel HP). I hate to use this phrase, but you really do get “more smiles per mile”, as it's certainly left me grinning. Availble at ModBargains for just $250.80, the price is also hard to beat for actual wheel horsepower gains.

Check back soon for a short video clip so you can hear this intake for yourself.

Story & Photos BlueBomber

[video=youtube;busWfO9AdrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=busWfO9AdrQ[/video]

hm.. I think I found my next mod! Once I start to get used to the added power from the AP, that is. This car's capabilities are really amazing.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Used in conjunction with my Cobb AP, it certainly wakes the car up a little more.

[video=youtube_share;N0rbg1qhbVI]http://youtu.be/N0rbg1qhbVI[/video]

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Update:
So after running it for a few days, I did notice intake temps slowly creep up under low throttle/cruising. I moved the weatherstrip piece a little and added additional weatherstrip to further close off the filter from the engine bay. After making this <$5 modification the intake's perfect; intake temps read exactly the same as they'd been with the OEM box but now the car's more responsive and I have that cool engine note to enjoy.

I advised Injen and they'll be including wider, taller weatherstrip on kits produced from this point forward for an improved seal and enhanced heat deflection.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I don't know much about the mechanical side but are you saying there's something wrong with intake and you had to make personal mods? I'm looking for an intake and love the Injein stuff, so I've been holding out on FSWerks and Mountune set up to get the Injein.

Kip2MyLou-
From what I understand from his post, I believe that all BlueBomber did was put some weather stripping between the heat shield and the intake piping, in order to further isolate the intake filter from the engine, bringing his intake air temps down. Your best bet would probably be to contact Injen to inquire about their remedy of the problem and to ensure you get a revised kit.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
A couple degrees of temperature isn't going to really do much. By the time the air goes through the turbo, its already pretty damn hot.
If your worried about IATs then buy an intercooler, or water meth injection, or an intercooler sprayer.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Don't get me wrong, it's a great intake and the fit and finish is great.

I just like to be thorough. There's nothing wrong with the intake at all, I just was concerned so I decided to make a minor tweak to make myself feel better.

Basically adding that little bits of weatherstrip keeps intake temps down- I watch IATs realtime on my AccessPORT.

If you install your weatherstrip the right way the first time you should be fine. I just took it a step further and found wider weatherstrip improved it so Injen will be including wider weatherstrip on future kits.
Something cool about Injen is that it's made to order right here in the USA so it's not a big deal to change the weatherstrip out. I am literally the 2nd person to have this intake so like any product at launch may need a minor tweak to be perfect instead of just "very good"

Make sense?

The first time I put the weatherstrip on, I had it on the wrong side of the heat shield (it was dark okay lol)
This probably contributed to the issue

Update:
So after running it for a few days, I did notice intake temps slowly creep up under low throttle/cruising. I moved the weatherstrip piece a little and added additional weatherstrip to further close off the filter from the engine bay. After making this <$5 modification the intake's perfect; intake temps read exactly the same as they'd been with the OEM box but now the car's more responsive and I have that cool engine note to enjoy.
Good to know. I'm probably going to be ordering this intake in the polished finish when my refund from Uncle Sam comes in.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thanks for the reply. I had a Injein one in my Veloster and loved it. So I was waiting for them to make one. I'm either going to go with Cobb or this one. I'll wait for the Cobb one to come out so by then this one will have the bugs worked out.

Hey Blue, could you post the dimensions of that cone filter? I want to make sure I order the right hydro shield.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
[video=youtube;busWfO9AdrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=busWfO9AdrQ[/video]

Here's a video! Enjoy.

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Try again, since I JUUUST uploaded it youtube was probably still processing.

I just tried it and it seems to be playing now, give it another go.

It's worth it IMO and by watching my Cobb it never goes higher than 10degrees of normal outside temp if installed right. Works great,sounds even better.

-ry

Is anyone worried about water getting in the intake? I drove through a pretty wicked rain storm and everything under the hood was wet. The little slots around the air filter box were full of water when I checked my oil.