Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Installing an EPA compliant catalytic converter

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Hey guys, so I live in VA and we have state inspections. They are fairly strict with emissions standards and I wanted to do a write up for anyone who wanted to more legitimately modify their downpipe to be federally compliant with emissions standards. So basically I'll be uploading pics of the progress over the weekend and I'll answer any questions you guys have to the best of my ability. The CNT, mishimoto, Cobb, map, and cpe catted downpipes are not EPA compliant. The milltek and mountune downpipes are EPA compliant and feature a welded tag that shows the EPA number but these are "hi flow" sports catalysts that don't even name their cell count. The g-sport cat I will be welding in is a true high flow cat with a 300 cell converter. These are rated for 300-500 hp and are perfect for our fiestas. They also make an "ultra high flow" cat that's supposed to be able to perform at 500-800 hp but I thought this was overkill for my build.

The first picture shows the cat. The code I was talking about is the EPA code on the bottom line. I marked the lines I'll have to cut along to weld this in. I'm going to have to target this pipe to make sure I maintain the proper angle and I'll show yall how to do that as well when I get the material. So I will be welding 304 stainless to 304 stainless which means I'll need to select a Tig rod that's higher than 304. I will probably be welding with 309 Tig rod to be safe. As you can see ill also need to blue line the bosses out and the bracket as well. The bracket will need to be welded onto the cat to make it all fit appropriately. I will also need to move that first boss probably further towards the top of the downpipe. Its right in the way.

catalytic converter.jpg
measurement 1.jpg
measurement 2.jpg
measurement 3.jpg
As I paid more attention to the welds... The 2J welds are actually really shitty. One of the boss welds even has porosity in it and the entire bracket looks like it was dry washed (no filler metal added just base metal).

Next, I got some new pipe and started taking the previous measurements and comparing them to the new pipe. I bottomed out the pipe in the flange and put a 1/4 inch of the pipe into the flex pipe on each side. Measurements for the 2 pieces of pipe were 1 1/8" on the flange side and 1 3/8 after the flex pipe. Total length at this point was 8.5 inches.

new pipe 1.jpg
new pipe 2.jpg
new pipe 3.jpg
new pipe 4.jpg
welded flex pipe.jpg

Then I had to weld on the cat. I put 1/2 inch of pipe inside the cat after the flex pipe.

welded cat.jpg

Now this was the hard part. After this, I had to order a 180 degree bend. The only problem is its a custom bend from the cat to the turbo so one needs to use a little creativity. It also is a requirement to fit all your pieces up at this point to the car. So you have your flex pipe and cat welded together. Bolt that up to the exhaust then bolt the flange which you have either blue lined off your existing down pipe like i have or bought from a cnc shop and then take a rough estimate of the bend you need and cut it off. I used my 2j downpipe to get a rough estimate.

IMG_20200519_074253407.jpg
IMG_20200519_074301593.jpg
IMG_20200519_074316429.jpg
IMG_20200519_173459218.jpg

As you can see that last weld is a monster. So don't make the mistakes I did. 1 make sure your not only bolting the exhaust up properly to the turbo and the catback but ALSO make sure you have the exhaust hanger you intend to use connected as well.... This will save you at least 2 hours of trouble until you realize it wont fit with the poly hanger.... lol. It does fit, I just cant use the hanger.

I decided to seal weld the inside of the downpipe to remove a failure point and grind it flush.

IMG_20200519_212324633.jpg

IMG_20200519_212327631.jpg
IMG_20200521_002203616.jpg
The metal was thinner than I was expecting and I wasn't satisfied with the way things looked so out came the grinder. I also sanded it down like a mad man. I used in this order, 60 grit dremel pad, 120 grit dremel pad, 240 grit dremel pad, 800 grit wet sand, 1000 grit wet sand, 2000 grit wet sand then rubbed the entire thing down clean with acetone and finally 3000 grit 2 times on the entire downpipe.

Here is the end result.

downpipe final.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am not even going to try to guess what a fully custom made down pipe, using that catcon, would co$t, if someone had the same inspection restrictions as you, needed super high flow, but did not have your welding skills. [crazyeye]

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I am not even going to try to guess what a fully custom made down pipe, using that catcon, would co$t, if someone had the same inspection restrictions as you, needed super high flow, but did not have your welding skills. [crazyeye]
Youd be surprised honestly. So mountunes is about 560 to make this myself it's costing me 700 I believe. So really not that terrible. The cat was 460. But I have the added benefit of saying this will flow no matter what I put on this car.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Youd be surprised honestly. So mountunes is about 560 to make this myself it's costing me 700 I believe. So really not that terrible. The cat was 460. But I have the added benefit of saying this will flow no matter what I put on this car.

Besides actual testing, is there any way to know IF the Mountune, or Milltek down pipes could flow even close to what you are 'Frankensteining'??

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Besides actual testing, is there any way to know IF the Mountune, or Milltek down pipes could flow even close to what you are 'Frankensteining'??
Doesn't say anything on either of their pages about supported hp so yeah you'd have to test them. Also, minor issue. I need more pipe for what I'm doing so I just ordered it. The project will be postponed until I can get the stuff in. Should have it next Saturday or Sunday.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Time to Move J-dawgl......like to the land of 10k Lakes and no state inspections!

the duke

It depends. Regulation is expensive, typically the material cost/labor is a small portion of the total cost. This is one of the reasons the Mountune/Certified parts are more expensive. Proper skills/talent definately increase the price, however generally you design for the fit/function. You don't need a top welder to make a bracket, but it'll sure look nice and they weld will certainty be a good one.

We have a joke in my industry: "The same 1 dollar bolt at Lowes is 5 dollars for Aerospace and 10 dollars for Nuclear".

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Lol navy stock system shows exactly what your talking about... We waste so much damn money just to tell us material is proven level 1.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
... The milltek and mountune downpipes are EPA compliant and feature a welded tag that shows the EPA number but these are "hi flow" sports catalysts that don't even name their cell count...
The mountune cat does have specs out there. From Randy @ Mountune:
"5" diameter EU3 classification motorsport type 200 cell count metal substrate catalyst to ensure effective, high flow performance in extreme conditions. A large catalyst cross section means increased exhaust flow. "

Also a link to their website

What you are building will be very nice as well. I will keep watching for updates.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Ah ok that's why theirs is so big. From the pics they have I'd say it's almost comparable to the stock size cat. Makes sense now why it's so big though if their flow is directly related to the area between the cells.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
List of materials based on experience now:
x1 180 degree bent pipe $53.00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002V19AQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
x1 flex pipe $30.00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4MPOZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
x2 02 bungs $12.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LBQL604/ref=dp_prsubs_1
x1 flange $24.00
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MK664W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
x1 catalytic converter $380 dollars
https://shop.redline360.com/products/g-sport-gesi-catalytic-converters-3ultra-high-output-85030
Bringing the total to $499 minus shipping.

The only thing I couldn't find was a stainless flange from the turbo to the downpipe.