Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intake valve cleaning?

So with intake valve carbon cleaning.... Pros and cons of media blasting vs Chemical? Is the chemical route a DIY affair or should I seek a pro? Recommended products? Any CEL issuses afterwards? (my Mini S threw a emissions CEL that couldnt stay cleared after professional chemical treatment)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So with intake valve carbon cleaning.... Pros and cons of media blasting vs Chemical? Is the chemical route a DIY affair or should I seek a pro? Recommended products? Any CEL issuses afterwards? (my Mini S threw a emissions CEL that couldnt stay cleared after professional chemical treatment)
There are a couple that are Turbo and supercharger safe .....

https://lucasoil.com/gdi/

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/gdi-ivd-174-intake-valve-cleaner-11-wt-oz-05319.html

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Not sure that anyone here has truly been able to demonstrate a need for it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:fiestastforum.com+bore+scope
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-test-and-borescope-at-110k.21209/post-363048
Use a quality full synthetic oil and keep it changed according to appearance and feel. (some change cycles get dirtier faster than others)
Keep the engine running healthy... minding that high plug gaps increase piston/valve fouling.
It is said that use of "Top Tier" billed fuels result with less build-up.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I wouldn't bother with valve cleaning until your car was showing symptoms of valves not closing identified through a leakdown test. I don't think it's worth the hassle.

And fuel quality doesn't matter since the fuel is not sprayed over the valves on cars that didn't add a port injector.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I would agree, but many modern engines have some valve overlap. This means that the intake valves are beginning to crack open as the exhaust cycle ends. Fuels that burn dirtier, (if there is such a thing,) will result with more carbon on the piston heads, but also more carbon the back of the intake valve.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I would agree, but many modern engines have some valve overlap. This means that the intake valves are beginning to crack open as the exhaust cycle ends. Fuels that burn dirtier, (if there is such a thing,) will result with more carbon on the piston heads, but also more carbon the back of the intake valve.
I don't buy it. I highly doubt any overlap is a contributor to, anything really. We know carbon builds up behind the valves, we assume that build up is bad and robbing us of performance, but then again, people thought the OEM paper panel filter was a restriction too. Has anybody had any issues that they can point to carbon on their intake valves as being the culprit?

If anything oil vapor from blowby is probably causing the buildup not lack of "top tier" gasoline sneaking past valves due to overlap.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I don't buy it. I highly doubt any overlap is a contributor to, anything really. We know carbon builds up behind the valves, we assume that build up is bad and robbing us of performance, but then again, people thought the OEM paper panel filter was a restriction too. Has anybody had any issues that they can point to carbon on their intake valves as being the culprit?

If anything oil vapor from blowby is probably causing the buildup not lack of "top tier" gasoline sneaking past valves due to overlap.
I should've quoted the second sentence in my reply but based on what I stated before, kind of assumed you would pickup on the fact that I was only commenting on the second sentence. We pretty much agree on the first sentence though, I don't see any issue with non-invasive and relatively inexpensive prevention measures. But I could see one being a bit repulsed if were to believe them to be "urban legend". With regard to overlap, and TTF, we'll agree to disagree. Personally are willing to keep an open mind about it being an additional factor. Valve build up in older vehicles, could blame low quality mineral oil and EGR, despite having port fuel injection. Modern engines have neither EGR or mineral, so we largely blame the aforementioned. Regardless, and we're in agreement, the build up would have to be pretty bad to have a perceptible impact on engine output; the likes of which we haven't yet seen; despite advanced mileage in some engines. Maybe that could change down the line... but thus far, we haven't really seen it.

BTW, never heard about the "OEM paper panel filter ... restriction" thing. Then again I think you're talking about their thick air filters? They're thick for a reason. The trade off is filter quality. The thin aftermarket filters do breathe better, which might net 0.5 more HP and ever so slightly more responsiveness, louder intake (some like that - as the whole SymPOSER thing proves), but having to clean the MAF sensor every so many miles to cure a low/erratic idle with hot-weather stall gets old... quickly. (yes, many cars inclding ours have MAP)

That reminds me... over 40k on my OEM engine and cabin air filters. I'll drop by the dealer to pick up replacements tomorrow. (happen to have off work)

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
Well I know in my Mini S it was a very real thing (I could feel the difference before and after the treatment) but after 7k in repairs at 55k miles the permanently lit CEL never made me feel comfortable driving the car again. That model car notoriously ran hot and burned a ton of oil in between changes regardless of oil types, with a ridiculously hard to read dip stick. It lead to valve timing chain issues that mine was showing symptoms of having, which was alone would be another 5k in repairs, at the time It was totaled. I haven't noticed the FiST having the same oil burning/heat management problems.... but both are highly stressed 1.6l turbos so Im trying to learn what preventative maintenance this one requires, what I should pay attention to to keep the car healthy.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
@brycewise - I haven't read anything about oil consumption being an issue for the EcoBoost 1.6L. I don't think that's normal. What year is the vehicle?

OP
B
Thread Starter #12
No... mine FiST seems to be fine oil consumption wise, Its an 2104 FiST with 62k miles. The oil consumption problem I mentioned was related to my last 1.6l turbo car.... a mini copper S. It ran noticeably "hotter" and caused a ton of expensive to fix issues as a result. It also carried significant maintenance requirements and if you weren't extremely good at monitoring fluid levels and preventive maintenance... (which I was, but apparently... the previous owner was not), that neglect lead to some very expensive repairs. I was just wondering if this car experienced any similar issues and how to prevent them.... e.g.... Carbon build up, heat soak from an undersized intercooler (Like the undersized Tube and fin intercooler that is mostly obstructed by the air dam), an approx oil consumption rate of about a quart per 1k miles...etc? These are the problems I encountered with a 1.6l turbo mini, what should I expect and seek to upgrade with a 1.6l turbo Ford to prevent issues both with stock, and with a "modest tune"? Also...if stuff needs to be replaced to keep the car reliable under a tune, what should be replaced? What can/ should I look to replace at the same time since... "while we have____ off"... its a good idea to go ahead and "replace ___? now too"

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
No... mine FiST seems to be fine oil consumption wise, Its an 2104 FiST with 62k miles. The oil consumption problem I mentioned was related to my last 1.6l turbo car.... a mini copper S. It ran noticeably "hotter" and caused a ton of expensive to fix issues as a result. It also carried significant maintenance requirements and if you weren't extremely good at monitoring fluid levels and preventive maintenance... (which I was, but apparently... the previous owner was not), that neglect lead to some very expensive repairs. I was just wondering if this car experienced any similar issues and how to prevent them.... e.g.... Carbon build up, heat soak from an undersized intercooler (Like the undersized Tube and fin intercooler that is mostly obstructed by the air dam), an approx oil consumption rate of about a quart per 1k miles...etc? These are the problems I encountered with a 1.6l turbo mini, what should I expect and seek to upgrade with a 1.6l turbo Ford to prevent issues both with stock, and with a "modest tune"? Also...if stuff needs to be replaced to keep the car reliable under a tune, what should be replaced? What can/ should I look to replace at the same time since... "while we have____ off"... its a good idea to go ahead and "replace ___? now too"
A good tune is all that's really necessary to be reliable. A good tuner won't exceed the limits of your hardware. The ECU on these cars are sophisticated enough to prevent most damage.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Holy cow... you got one from the d-i-s-t-a-n-t future! ;) There was a campaign issued that I believe affected the 2014/2015 model years. There were some defective radiators. They had some additional Band-Aid type fixes; can search the forum for details on it. From what I've read, heat soak and all that may be a problem if you're actually racing it. Other than that, you're good.