Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

intercooler with e30

Stkid93

Premium Account
hey guys,

i have noticed that on dizzys site, he has a stage 1 and stage 2 tune for 91/93. The only difference being the stage 2 tune requires an intercooler. But for his e30 tune, there's only 1. there's no e30 tune for stock intercooler and a different e30 tune for upgraded intercooler. Because of the cooling affect of e85 the engine will run cooler on an e30 tune, so the benefits of adding an intercooler will be much great on pump gas. but will you still see benefits from going with a bigger intercooler if you run e30? and why do you think there are 2 pump gas tunes for different intercoolers but only 1 e30 tune regardless of what intercooler you have?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
hey guys,

i have noticed that on dizzys site, he has a stage 1 and stage 2 tune for 91/93. The only difference being the stage 2 tune requires an intercooler. But for his e30 tune, there's only 1. there's no e30 tune for stock intercooler and a different e30 tune for upgraded intercooler. Because of the cooling affect of e85 the engine will run cooler on an e30 tune, so the benefits of adding an intercooler will be much great on pump gas. but will you still see benefits from going with a bigger intercooler if you run e30? and why do you think there are 2 pump gas tunes for different intercoolers but only 1 e30 tune regardless of what intercooler you have?
You’ll be running higher boost on the stage 2/E30 tunes which means the tiny turbo is working hard and creating a lot of heat. The E30 cooling properties probably don’t totally offset the extra heat generated.

SrsBsns

I don't know about Dizzy specifically, but with a modest tune, you can use the stock IC. Generally the Cobb OTS tunes are that way too. When you start increasing boost, you really need a better FMIC to keep the charge air cool as it will heat up quickly under hard driving.

hey guys,

you could ask dizzy yourself here. he used to be pretty active in the forums. lately, he's been posting about an engine build. i also think he explains it somewhere on his site.

if i remember right, the "stage 1" pump gas tune is just a less aggressive knock sensor timing tune. full stop. it has nothing to do directly with the intercooler. it just gives a bigger buffer in case you have an OEM intercooler so you don't heat soak your engine as fast. you can heat soak your engine on a factory tune if the weather's hot enough and you're one of the unlucky ones with a really crappy intercooler.

ethanol explodes "cooler" so if your charge temps are higher from an OEM intercooler it won't be as big of an issue but it only makes up so much. i'm guessing the e30 tune is probably the most aggressive knock sensor tune of the three (stage 1 pump vs stage 2 pump vs e30). to run a less aggressive e30 tune would be pointless. you might as well just run a stage 1 or 2 pump tune and get getter MPG.

EDIT: like if you live in a cool enough climate you could just lie to dizzy and say you have a big FMIC and want the stage 2 even though you have an OEM intercooler. there's no code the ECU spits out that says "this FiST has a big boy intercooler...also a huuuge wing". whether you do that or not is up to you (and dizzy clearly doesn't recommend that) but the tune is not tuned around an intercooler. it's tuned to maximize the power output before hitting the knock limit.

if you're running a stock intercooler in 60degree weather but it struggles to keep charge temps under 90degrees, you're still getting a more powerful combustion then if have a huge FMIC in 90degree weather but your charge temps are at 93degrees. the tunes don't care what intercooler is on the car, they just care about the charge temps.

Last edited:
OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
So it sounds like having an intercooler even with e30 will still give a lot of benefit (but obviously only in the summer heat). Is that what you guys are saying?

So it sounds like having an intercooler even with e30 will still give a lot of benefit (but obviously only in the summer heat). Is that what you guys are saying?
i purchased and loaded monstertuned adapt-x which learns and adjusts as you drive (not instantly but after a day or two it is noticeable). it's about double (maybe triple?) the price of a dizzy tune but if you want to keep the powertrain stock that's what i recommend. it'll advance and retard the timing based on the readings it gets. his website and the forum posts here have a good explanation.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
@esp_martin

Sorry I’m not sure what you’re trying to say? What does that have to do with the intercooler

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Dizzy custom tuned me for E30 on stock intercooler and stock heat spark plugs and I ran that for almost 3 years. Yes there’s a benefit to the intercooler, but doesn’t mean you need to drop the coin if you aren’t ready to.