Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intermittent scraping noise on braking

Magnetic

I went by an independent shop that I trust (I'm a pretty bad mechanic), I've been dealing with them for a long time, and one of the guys said that one of the inside front brake pads was almost gone, and the other inside front one was pretty close. I did need front brakes, thanks for the helpful answers.
Was is the right side that went out 1st?

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
oh yeah make sure you re-apply blue threadlock to the bolts
Thanks a lot for the helpful information.
Was is the right side that went out 1st?
Yes, it was the inside front pad on the right (passenger) side that was the most worn down, it had very little pad material left.

Magnetic

Thanks a lot for the helpful information.

Yes, it was the inside front pad on the right (passenger) side that was the most worn down, it had very little pad material left.
That's the same one on mine that was making the noise. I wonder if it has to do with the traction control system for torque vectoring.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
That's the same one on mine that was making the noise. I wonder if it has to do with the traction control system for torque vectoring.
I think that's exactly what it is, the electronic torque vectoring system which uses the brakes. I'm fine with that, I think it's a great system, and I love how the car just whips around tight corners. As a design matter, I like the fact that it uses an existing system of the car, the brakes, rather than adding a new system which adds weight and complexity and repair issues of its own. If the price you have to pay for that is replacing the brakes more often, I'm willing to do that.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
okay, here's my question.

How often should the slider pins be inspected and lubed if not performing a full brake job? should i check on them every 6 months? annually?
IF you wanna be proactive once per year* Its what i do and i use Silaramic CRC ceramic grease*

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here's a video on how to lube the slider pins if anyone is interested. This particular car is a European two-door one, but I would guess that the brakes are the same for models in different parts of the world-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilbs4OZ41Zs
That is the same as the us cars. I just had mine apart a few weeks ago to install my ebc pads. And yes, I definitely made sure to lube the slide pins.