Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Internal or external G25 550

Good day all!

Been thinking of going the big turbo route on my FiST. I already have all of the supporting mods

My question is, which option would be better, an internally of externally gated G25 550.

Would like to know whats the best option for the best power and spool time. Also possibly the best A/R sizes

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Good day all!

Been thinking of going the big turbo route on my FiST. I already have all of the supporting mods

My question is, which option would be better, an internally of externally gated G25 550.

Would like to know whats the best option for the best power and spool time. Also possibly the best A/R sizes

First question you should ask yourself is do you care how loud you car is at WOT? If you don’t care, or you prefer it, go with EWG. If you aren’t interested in having the equivalent of an open header at WOT, then IWG.

Overall EWG are preferred for maximum performance and boost control, but it’s really a preference thing.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
First question you should ask yourself is do you care how loud you car is at WOT? If you don’t care, or you prefer it, go with EWG. If you aren’t interested in having the equivalent of an open header at WOT, then IWG.

Overall EWG are preferred for maximum performance and boost control, but it’s really a preference thing.
Thanks for the reply,

At this stage the car is only going to be a toy and not really a daily driver, but what I really want to find out about, is which option would spool the best and what can I anticipate in terms of spool. The few videos I have seen youtube show that the big turbo cars should see 20+ psi at around 4k RPM. I currently have a GTX2563R that spools much later than I originally thought, but I think this is more related to the turbo itself. Just wanted to know if there are possible comparisons between IWG and EWG

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
EWG is arguably better at controlling boost, as in, preventing boost creep since the gases are evacuated quickly out of the exhaust manifold or turbo housing.

That's just what I've researched. I've never tuned a car so I don't know if a properly sized/loaded IWG is really any more difficult for a tuner to control boost than an EWG.

When I ran an EWG it was for the noise, and I loved how nasty it sounded.

OP
A
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for all of the info - I think the External Wastegate option would also be preffered at the end of the day. My next question, are there any Dyno/VDynos that someone can provide in terms of boost pressure and what I can see with a G25 550 setup.

I am currently running a GTX2563R setup and unfortunately its making peak torque @ 5600rpm and max power @ 6800rpm. The boost pressure also take a while before coming in, so I think its more related to turbo.

I think external wastegate is the best option from what I have seen. Any additional info would be appreciated as well

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Yeah, it sounds like your turbo is oversized. It may be fine on the highway roll racing, but I think a smaller turbo than what you're running now would be all around better for torque and response. I drove a car with an oversized turbo and regretted it.

OP
A
Thread Starter #10
Yeah, it sounds like your turbo is oversized. It may be fine on the highway roll racing, but I think a smaller turbo than what you're running now would be all around better for torque and response. I drove a car with an oversized turbo and regretted it.
Thats the weird thing, I opted for the "smaller" GTX2563R IWG with a .49AR Turbine housing, hoping to get some more response from the smaller option, but it was the exact opposite than I expected. From the Forums I have read here, the GTX2860/67R were much more responsive and spooling quicker.

The build from AdamBrunson on youtube shows the spool is really good on the G25 550 with the .72AR

View: https://youtu.be/QpdR4-_YmjY?t=722

This is what I am aiming for

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Good day all!

I don't think The G-series for the fiesta are offered with internal wastegate its only external wastegate* But then again i have been wrong before.....:ROFLMAO:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thats the weird thing, I opted for the "smaller" GTX2563R IWG with a .49AR Turbine housing, hoping to get some more response from the smaller option, but it was the exact opposite than I expected. From the Forums I have read here, the GTX2860/67R were much more responsive and spooling quicker.

The build from AdamBrunson on youtube shows the spool is really good on the G25 550 with the .72AR

View: https://youtu.be/QpdR4-_YmjY?t=722

This is what I am aiming for
This is Daniels FiST.....Jeff is good friends with him* Daniel has done ALOT to his FIST...like ALOT!

My old Fiesta had a Peron EWG .72a/r setup on it and it was a blast. it dyno'd at 390ish whp multiple times. made 29-30psi of boost most of the time. ran tons of 11 second quarter mile passes. noise was not a concern, it was plumbed back into the exhaust and I had a thermal R&D catback exhaust. Loads of parts from Ron at Whoosh Motorsports. Lots of other videos on my channel too, feel free to like and subscribe. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwnIp8x0K8E

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1VRLjbARm4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECmjlcymFkY

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I don't think The G-series for the fiesta are offered with internal wastegate its only external wastegate* But then again i have been wrong before.....:ROFLMAO:
Can always weld the iwg shut and install a manifold with a dump tube.

OP
A
Thread Starter #15
My old Fiesta had a Peron EWG .72a/r setup on it and it was a blast. it dyno'd at 390ish whp multiple times. made 29-30psi of boost most of the time. ran tons of 11 second quarter mile passes. noise was not a concern, it was plumbed back into the exhaust and I had a thermal R&D catback exhaust. Loads of parts from Ron at Whoosh Motorsports. Lots of other videos on my channel too, feel free to like and subscribe. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwnIp8x0K8E

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1VRLjbARm4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECmjlcymFkY
Awesome! I have been checking out a few of your vids! Would be awesome if you can share your journey with the FiST - what was your final setup on the car? The dragtimes are very good! We only have 1 FiST here in RSA that can het 11.97 on Quarter

Whats the secret :)

Awesome! I have been checking out a few of your vids! Would be awesome if you can share your journey with the FiST - what was your final setup on the car? The dragtimes are very good! We only have 1 FiST here in RSA that can het 11.97 on Quarter

Whats the secret :)
No secret, just M&H slicks, plenty of boost and fuel (e85) and good driving! i bought the car bone stock in September of 2017 with 21k miles on it, installed the first Whoosh hybrid turbo on it about a year later, ran that for a while and then sprayed some nitrous through it, blew that motor up, replaced engine and upgraded to the G25 peron kit from Ron at Whoosh Motorsports, and ran a ton of 11 second quarter mile passes. I traded it in with 71k miles on it. Now i have Ron's 2017 orange spice Fiesta ST with a s280 turbo :)

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
No secret, just M&H slicks, plenty of boost and fuel (e85) and good driving! i bought the car bone stock in September of 2017 with 21k miles on it, installed the first Whoosh hybrid turbo on it about a year later, ran that for a while and then sprayed some nitrous through it, blew that motor up, replaced engine and upgraded to the G25 peron kit from Ron at Whoosh Motorsports, and ran a ton of 11 second quarter mile passes. I traded it in with 71k miles on it. Now i have Ron's 2017 orange spice Fiesta ST with a s280 turbo :)
Between the G25 and the S280, how do they compare?

Between the G25 and the S280, how do they compare?
The G25 is an absolute animal up top. from 4500+rpm it EATS. Down low it does not have much grunt. but that is to be expected with a larger turbo on a small engine. my current car probably makes 280whp or so, which is 110-120whp short of my old car. the s280 is much more fun to drive around town as it makes full boost by 3400rpm. I think once we get enough fuel system in it, it will make similar power to the g25 setup and probably be a lot more fun.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Would super light, high PSI, skinnies on the back have been worth even a few tenths/hundredths??

Would super light, high PSI, skinnies on the back have been worth even a few tenths/hundredths??
Maybe a few hundredths. i had a full set of VMS wheels ordered and had the tires in my closet, but the wheels never showed up (shipping/stock delays) and i traded in the car before everything came together.