Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is a catch can needed?

I’m about to upgrade to a X47r turbo and I’m curious if a catch can is needed or a good idea when pushing a lot more boost then stock.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I’m about to upgrade to a X47r turbo and I’m curious if a catch can is needed or a good idea when pushing a lot more boost then stock.
Are you going to run Aux. Fuel of any nature? If not....then absolutely *

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Its another boost leak point also I might add*

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
Are you going to run Aux. Fuel of any nature? If not....then absolutely *

I’m not sure, I might go with updated injectors and a hpfp shim which would max out the X47r. But if I ever go to a bigger turbski and a built motor then definitely gonna go with aux fueling as well.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I would highly recommend reading this link to a really informative article that Jabbit has posted in this thread, it gives a good explanation for how the oil separation system works. It also confirmed for me that I do not feel the need for a catch can, since the OEM system seems to do a good job, and since the catch can can introduce some problems of its own.

Ditto here on the Damon- stock boost I didn't feel it was necessary then a couple years ago when I turned up the boost with mods, I'm glad I have it. Each oil change I empty it and see what would have been recycled in my system. More in the winter with lousy gas.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Nobody has said how much is being drained out of the Damond OCC. Would like to know mods, interval, and capacity.

I change oil every 5k miles (motorcraft synthetic). I'm running full bolt ons with custom tuning with the stock turbo. I typically catch between 1-2 tablespoons of sludgy stuff. Winter time (New England) it has gone up to a shot glass or so with the poor gas.

Just went out, emptied and measured mine to see: about 1500 mi and 2 auto-x events I got 1oz of oil out of mine

edit: I've got radium, and it's Crank Case side only

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Every oil change 3300 miles avg. I get about 2 Tablespoons of oil out. Do they work? Of course they do! MP215 and Damond OCC only mods. No racing or autox, just spirited driving. Keep in mind that is over what your OEM separator traps. Ford put one in so they think our engine needs one, I say we need two if I am still catching oil.