Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is a hybrid turbo worth it ?

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Well is it? Does a hybrid turbo really make a huge difference or should I go all the way with a S280 or a GTX? Lead time is important to me. I don't want to wait weeks or months for my turbo. I think I will be happy with 300 whp. Stock isn't cutting it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well is it? Does a hybrid turbo really make a huge difference or should I go all the way with a S280 or a GTX? Lead time is important to me. I don't want to wait weeks or months for my turbo. I think I will be happy with 300 whp. Stock isn't cutting it.
There is or was a Very decent s280 for sale by a member w/24k on it in the FS section. I almost bought it for a backup or just to roll a different Turbsky for fun.Might not be around anymore though.....worth a look ! I Run a GTX2860R Gen 2 that will also be up for sale sooner or later. There is nothing wrong with buying 2nd hand. Almost all my mods were BNB or slightly used and I saved a grip. Good luck....but with whatever you go with....you won't regret it one bit!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I think you'd be very happy with the S280. There is a reason it is so popular. You'll be happy with 300whp up until you're not. S280 has some nice headroom to support adding some fuel.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
There is or was a Very decent s280 for sale by a member w/24k on it in the FS section. I almost bought it for a backup or just to roll a different Turbsky for fun.Might not be around anymore though.....worth a look ! I Run a GTX2860R Gen 2 that will also be up for sale sooner or later. There is nothing wrong with buying 2nd hand. Almost all my mods were BNB or slightly used and I save a grip. Good luck....but with whatever you go with....you won't regret it one bit!

Why are you considering dropping the 2860?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Why are you considering dropping the 2860?
Going from an ATP setup to a DHM360R setup. Same Turbo different exhaust housing....external wastegate (correction) And Dump pipe*

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Going from an ATP setup to a DHM360R setup. Same Turbo different exhaust housing....external BOV And Dump pipe*

I had an EWG and absolutely loved it, especially with the stock catback.

Not really. Bad reliability, terrible imap x emap. Get a small Garrett, like gt2554r, 2560 or s280. Every fiesta should get an intercooler, turbo, do something with the manifold, tune, and high flow cat as their first engine mods. Don't even bother with anything else. It's easier on trans, clutch, axles, better head temps, better drive pressure ratio, more reliable, better power. Better traction.

Last edited:
Stock type recirculating. So no blow-off noises.
Hmm if i may ask, so the stock BOV on a FiST doesn't give us a pssshhhhhhh noise? I ask bc i bought mine at 26k and it had a few mods like CAI and springs but short of somebody who knows what to look for i didn't know what else was modded. I assumed the blow off noise was stock but is this not the case?

Not sure if you grabbed that S280 but here's a few thoughts i had. I got my Whoosh hybrid from Whoosh but it took about 7 weeks to get to me so there's that. As for the performance itself, hell yes. I assume my other mods have added some power too (CAI, 3" catback, catless DP) and im on e30 now but it's like a whole new car. A guy on the tube has almost the same setup as mine and put out a dyno video this week, at 102 degrees he got over 280whp, so sounds about right for a 300 figure on cooler days.

For reference i had an e30 tune before, without the DP turbo or catback and it's a massive difference with the hybrid. If i ever do it all again with another FiST i may go bigger turbo but only out of curiosity, hybrids are legit. Im also not convinced a bigger turbo is "faster" every time bc of how power curves work. You might peak higher but you will have more power for less amount of time bc of slower spooling. Whoosh's hybrid spools quick and pulls all the way to redline. But im no guru, just somebody learning as i go.

I like the turbo the previous owner did on my FiST. Whoosh hybrid turbo kit I believe it was the s280. Did not like the tune though as it bypassed the emissions check the car does and caused me and the dealership some headaches for the state inspection sticker. Luckily they had a dyno and the techs being ST/RS owners and enthusiasts got a proper tune on it for 93 and I can pass state inspections😃😃😃. Love the quick spool up and extra ponies/trq. If your looking for fun daily driveability with some track use thrown in a hybrid setup is the way to go.