Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is An OEM Quaife LSD Doable Into 2014 Non-ST?

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Here in Mexico, we have several models(S,SE,Titanium,ST) of the Mk7.5. I'm building an S model race car that has a 5-speed manual in which I must keep in the car according to the rules. However, I can add "original"(meaning any Ford OEM) part to upgrade many aspects of my car...which would allow me to add the Quaife LSD available in the 2018 ST model.
Any issues with doing this?
DJ

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here in Mexico, we have several models(S,SE,Titanium,ST) of the Mk7.5. I'm building an S model race car that has a 5-speed manual in which I must keep in the car according to the rules. However, I can add "original"(meaning any Ford OEM) part to upgrade many aspects of my car...which would allow me to add the Quaife LSD available in the 2018 ST model.
Any issues with doing this?
DJ
LSD wasn't available off the Fomoco factory line for any year Fiesta* only an add on after purchase.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
D

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #3
LSD wasn't available off the Fomoco factory line for any year Fiesta* only an add on after purchase.

I want to believe that it was indeed available in the 2018 ST in England...which according to the rule set makes it an OEM "Ford" part.

https://www.quaife.co.uk/2018-ford-fiesta-st/

the duke

8th gen has it. Also larger brakes. And goddamn launch control. Still pissed Ford didn't bring it over.

With that said, I'm not certain which transmission was used and if the unit will drop in. I know the engine is a 1.5L 3 cylinder Ecoboost so I imagine most of the hardware is similiar. Honda used the same Torsen LSD in the civics Si and Type Rs since around 2004 to at least 2016.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I want to believe that it was indeed available in the 2018 ST in England...which according to the rule set makes it an OEM "Ford" part.

https://www.quaife.co.uk/2018-ford-fiesta-st/
You're in Mexico * The 8th gen had it factory. Pretty sure only Europe got them. Don't think it will fit NA or LA/SA FiSts. But if you wanna try...let it Rip.

the duke

I can't think of another 6-speed FWD tranny Ford even has other than the MKVII and MKVIII that could even take the power. Hell, we know Quaiff made a unit for the MKVIIs, I'd imagine Ford is just throwing that unit in the new MKVIII. I'd start cross referencing parts between the VIIs and VIIIs. Check the tranny exploded part diagrams, probably the same components like housings, gears, shafts, etc.

OP
D

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #7
I can't think of another 6-speed FWD tranny Ford even has other than the MKVII and MKVIII that could even take the power. Hell, we know Quaiff made a unit for the MKVIIs, I'd imagine Ford is just throwing that unit in the new MKVIII. I'd start cross referencing parts between the VIIs and VIIIs. Check the tranny exploded part diagrams, probably the same components like housings, gears, shafts, etc.
I'm trying to find the "legal" square peg that fits the square hole rule in our race class here. With my 2014 Mk.7.5 non-ST 1.6lt./16v N/A, the rules allow me to use Ford OEM parts...their definition reads: "original"(to the brand, meaning Ford) and thus within ANY model year of Fiesta, up or down, to use whatever Mk. has what would work best for me. The only OEM LSD came on the Mk.8...and while Quaife and other LSD's were available as aftermarket parts to previous Mk.'s, only an OEM, according to my rules, is allowed.
Thus, I am hoping to learn that the Mk.8 "OEM" Quaife LSD would easily fit into my current 2014 manual box. If not, then purchasing a new Mk.8 transmission and locking out 6th gear(per class rules) would be my only other option to obtain an LSD(a very expensive option!) that would give me a very good advantage over my competition here.
DJ

OP
D

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #8
I may be mistaken, however it is my current understanding that the transmissions haven't changed between the Mk.7 & Mk.8...all 6 speeds. As I write this out, if the OEM Quaife doesn't fit my current 5 speed, I can locate here a used ST180 6 speed and then add Ford's OEM Quaife to it, lock out 6th...and remain within the rules.
DJ

OP
D

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #10
The special edition, M-Sport ST200 did have the Quaife as standard a few years over in England, as part of the package. [wink]
Thanks M-Sport, that gets me a little closer to my goal. Now, if I could just get someone to confirm that the Quaife from the ST200 can easily be swapped into my 5 speed "S" model, I'm golden.
I may have contact the boys there at Quaife to see what they say.
DJ

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks M-Sport, that gets me a little closer to my goal. Now, if I could just get someone to confirm that the Quaife from the ST200 can easily be swapped into my 5 speed "S" model, I'm golden.
I may have contact the boys there at Quaife to see what they say.
DJ
Quaife might have made one specifically for the IB5 as well (IF there are even any differences in that area between the IB5 and IB6).

I would ask when you contact them. [wink]

OP
D

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #12
Quaife might have made one specifically for the IB5 as well (IF there are even any differences in that area between the IB5 and IB6).

I would ask when you contact them. [wink]
Being I'm married to a lawyer(I know :rolleyes:) I have learned to read and think like one. I don't want to be "out foxed" by the competition committee when I submit my written proposal by them saying..."Ford didn't offer as OEM the Quaife in the 5-speed and thus using any 5-speed specific Quaife *aftermarket* part wouldn't qualify under the rules." But, if the Quaife offered as an OEM on Ford's 6-speed box for their ST200 is usable on your 5-speed, THAT is the square peg that fits.
Will contact Quaife today.
DJ

OP
D

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #14
True, but they ARE mostly an aftermarket oriented company, and you are using it for a totally off of the road, track competition car. [wink]
I just emailed their tech department, so we'll see what they have to say. For me, all I need is for their LSD that was offered on any Fiesta as "OEM", I can make my case to use it. And having an LSD in the class would be a BIG advantage.
DJ

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Maybe I misunderstood your concerns about it being offered as an OEM option on any Fiesta at all - is it the RULES which state that in order to run any limited slip at all, it HAD TO have been offered as either standard, or as an OEM option??

OP
D

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #17
Maybe I misunderstood your concerns about it being offered as an OEM option on any Fiesta at all - is it the RULES which state that in order to run any limited slip at all, it HAD TO have been offered as either standard, or as an OEM option??
Yes.

OP
D

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #18
Sounds like an update/backdate rule SCCA uses for SOLO II. if he could lost the exact wording/rule we could help him find the competitive advantage.
Per the: Regulations Of Competence For The Categories Of Cars Of 1.6 Liters With 16 Valves - 2022 STT (SUPERTURISMO TAPITIOS)...
_____
21 TECHNICAL DEFINITIONS
21.1 Original. Where the term "Original" is mentioned in the Technical Regulations of each category, refers to manufacturer's parts.

(skipping ahead...)
22.10 GEARBOX
22.10.1 The housing must be original. Updating is allowed. (NOTE: THIS ALONE *SHOULD* ALLOW ME TO USE AN ST200 IB6 W/LSD BUT I WOULD HAVE TO "LOCK-OUT" 6TH GEAR-BY RULE)
22.10.2 5 Speeds and reverse. If it has sixth gear it must be locked out.
22.10.3 Original manufacturer gears are allowed without modification. No welding is allowed.
22.10.4 Spur(straight cut) gears are prohibited.

(skipping ahead...)
22.12 DIFFERENTIAL
22.12.1 Original must be used.
_____

As you can see, there is some "original" room to play with IF an OEM LSD was/is offered in a Fiesta gearbox..."original" meaning anything the manufacturer offered.

Thanks guys for your help on this. Later on, there may be other issues where I need some help in finding the right wiggle room.
DJ

the duke

Hmm. Being pedantic and defineing what ""Original" means. DOes it mean model (IE. Fiesta), or submodel (IE. ST). Does this cross "generations"?

Usually rules have an appendix or glossary that will define these things. Is there one for the ruleset you're modifying to?

OP
D

DaytonaJonah

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #20
Hmm. Being pedantic and defineing what ""Original" means. DOes it mean model (IE. Fiesta), or submodel (IE. ST). Does this cross "generations"?

Usually rules have an appendix or glossary that will define these things. Is there one for the ruleset you're modifying to?
Glossary?...nope. And agreed, their rules are quite ambiguous. However, I take the statement: "Original...refers to manufacturer's parts" to mean anything OEM to Ford and their contractual partners. And because they don't have a Glossary of Terms/Definitions, I think I could make a pretty strong case that "manufacturer" to mean "Ford"(including all of their contractual suppliers/partners) in this case. And "model, trim, etc." isn't listed as definitions anywhere in the rules.

In the case of: "gearbox housing must be used...*UPDATING is allowed.", it seems pretty clear to state I could use any year Ford Fiesta transmission that fits the 1.6ltr engine I have...just as long as I lock-out 6th gear. And within that specific rule definition, I think is a good case for the Quaife LSD used by Ford in the 2018 Fiesta ST200...making it "OEM". My question is this: will that specific LSD drop into my IB5...so I don't have the large expense of sourcing an ST200 gearbox out of Europe.
DJ