Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is colder air always better for power?

So i recently had the coldest ambient temps since i got my E30 tune and the power was pretty crazy compared to stock. According to my AP the charge temps got as low as 45 degrees, a huge difference from typical 100+ this summer which got me thinking. When it comes to power from the denser air, is there any point where it's too cold and starts reducing power? Im not talking 300 below zero or something silly, but typical US temps, like if it got down to 10 below, is that always going to give more power? Is 20 degrees, all other things equal, always more power than if it were 40 degrees?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
No, there is no temperature too cold.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

No, there is no temperature too cold.
I agree with the general sentiment, but there's definitely temps that are too cold - ones that will negatively impact the function of the car in spite of the increased O2 intake.

That being said, I was curious myself if there is a "sweet spot" that most cars would like to operate in.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I agree with the general sentiment, but there's definitely temps that are too cold - ones that will negatively impact the function of the car in spite of the increased O2 intake.

That being said, I was curious myself if there is a "sweet spot" that most cars would like to operate in.
He said realistic. Under the worst blizzard conditions in the far reaches of Alaska it wouldn't even make sense to be driving a Fiesta ST for a multitude of reasons.

Cold dense air is good for power, cold air is good for cooling in general, it's generally not great for traction but they make special tires for that. There's a reason why people run meth even in the winter. Nobody is modding cars to draw in hotter air (except maybe hypermilers), or running smaller less efficient intercoolers.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #5
He said realistic. Under the worst blizzard conditions in the far reaches of Alaska it wouldn't even make sense to be driving a Fiesta ST for a multitude of reasons.

Cold dense air is good for power, cold air is good for cooling in general, it's generally not great for traction but they make special tires for that. There's a reason why people run meth even in the winter. Nobody is modding cars to draw in hotter air (except maybe hypermilers), or running smaller less efficient intercoolers.
LOL the thought of the Alaska blizzard drive sounded funny for some reason. I wonder though, is there a limit on our fuel injectors with E30 already running? Unless i understand it wrong, the car is all computerized and measured ect so colder air means the ECU pumps in more fuel, hence more power, but would there be a limit there?

I just thought that was the reason we don't run full E100 with even more boost, bc our stock fuel system can't handle it. Would that same limit also affect us at a certain low temp or would that have to be so cold we'd be in an Alaskan blizzard?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
LOL the thought of the Alaska blizzard drive sounded funny for some reason. I wonder though, is there a limit on our fuel injectors with E30 already running? Unless i understand it wrong, the car is all computerized and measured ect so colder air means the ECU pumps in more fuel, hence more power, but would there be a limit there?

I just thought that was the reason we don't run full E100 with even more boost, bc our stock fuel system can't handle it. Would that same limit also affect us at a certain low temp or would that have to be so cold we'd be in an Alaskan blizzard?
You're getting more into thermodynamic theory. I have never made less power in colder weather, but there is a limit to how cold your charge temps will realistically get. At some point even antifreeze will freeze.

I did max out my injectors in cold weather in my MS3. My injectors were reporting 115%+ during a particularly cold morning and I experienced fuel cut (bucking/stuttering) in the upper RPMs, where I normally didn't have fuel issues before and that was running a top mount intercooler, way less efficient than front mount.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There does come a temperature break point, where even specially compounded road race, or tarmac rally tires/drag slicks just cannot warm up enough to provide traction, so all of that extra, cold induced powah just goes into a smoke show. [wink] [:(]

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #10
There does come a temperature break point, where even specially compounded road race, or tarmac rally tires/drag slicks just cannot warm up enough to provide traction, so all of that extra, cold induced powah just goes into a smoke show. [wink] [:(]
I don't have very spendy sticky tires, not big name brand even. I've noticed as the air cooled lately im loving 3rd and 4th even more, i can't put my foot down at all in 2nd anymore. 3rd is now at the break of traction on a cold evening and 4th feels AMAZING bc it pulls hard and i such a long gear. 2nd gear is my summer mistress so to speak.