Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is it normal for our engine oil to have a gasoline scent?

Not sure if this is related to previously having a small evap leak (bad canister purge valve) or if it's a common characteristic of the ecoboost engine in general.

I will check my oil level this week, and I'll see if the viscosity is thinner. When I took the dipstick out to check for this symptom initially, the oil look normal other than it having an odd gasoline scent.

I read that this is normal for GDI engines - is that true? Am I smelling blow-by? I don't have a catch can installed if anyone was curious. I know, I know - I should >.<

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Clint beastwood had a similar issue. I think his was a faulty purge valve causing a rich condition and excess fuel washing down the cylinders.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Yep mine was purge valve. They fought with me until I mentioned that the car also stumbles and tries to die after filling up with gas.

For me, it was enough that the fuel level increased on the dipstick due to the amount of fuel in my oil.

They swapped evap and a hose, and ever since my car is totally happy after filling with gas.

OP
Sprinkle_Star
Thread Starter #8
Okay, I'll be checking my oil level asap. Luckily, I'm almost at my normal oil change/tire rotation interval anyway.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Evap purge system's job is to vent fuel tank vapors into the (running) engine's intake.

In my prior car, the valve lies between the intake and the evap purge canister (a.k.a. charcoal canister).

To be clear, there is no raw fuel being moved over that valve. Only vapors.

Clint's case of fuel in the oil, was caused by the engine missing, "stumbling".

Is your engine missing? Spark plugs can be compared between cylinders, checked for signs of burning rich/lean/fouling/other.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yep mine was purge valve. They fought with me until I mentioned that the car also stumbles and tries to die after filling up with gas.

For me, it was enough that the fuel level increased on the dipstick due to the amount of fuel in my oil.

They swapped evap and a hose, and ever since my car is totally happy after filling with gas.
Have you posted Part numbers from the warranty receipt/repair?

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I've heard just about everybody say that when they gas up, it will stumble initially. I have had this problem as well. What I did to stop it: after I fill up I leave the filler nozzle in for about 5 min. I tried leaving it in for a minute, not enough time apparently; a couple of more minutes does the trick.

I have not noticed a gas smell or an increase in oil level myself. I do not have any check engine lights, nor am I tuned. So I can't speak on that.
In general the oil those have a more gas like smell, but that's a DI thang. My 2017 WRX had an even worst smelling oil. And this is one major reason why I do my oil change at 3K, even though yall think I'm crazy. [emoji2957]

Keep an eye on the fuel gauge when you fill up to have an idea how much is in the tank compared to how much you pump. Iā€™m a master at it now (6 years) and I never fill up all the way and usually have no more than 10 gallons in the tank. I used to fill up to the first click and it stumbled.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Keep an eye on the fuel gauge when you fill up to have an idea how much is in the tank compared to how much you pump. Iā€™m a master at it now (6 years) and I never fill up all the way and usually have no more than 10 gallons in the tank. I used to fill up to the first click and it stumbled.
This is sound advice. But it's hard to gauge how much to put in, so it is almost full without going too far. Plus, filling up a tank is just so satisfying [emoji16]

But I will attempt this, going forward

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk

This is sound advice. But it's hard to gauge how much to put in, so it is almost full without going too far. Plus, filling up a tank is just so satisfying [emoji16]

But I will attempt this, going forward

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk
Happy fueling!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I've heard just about everybody say that when they gas up, it will stumble initially. I have had this problem as well. What I did to stop it: after I fill up I leave the filler nozzle in for about 5 min. I tried leaving it in for a minute, not enough time apparently; a couple of more minutes does the trick.

I have not noticed a gas smell or an increase in oil level myself. I do not have any check engine lights, nor am I tuned. So I can't speak on that.
In general the oil those have a more gas like smell, but that's a DI thang. My 2017 WRX had an even worst smelling oil. And this is one major reason why I do my oil change at 3K, even though yall think I'm crazy. [emoji2957]
tbh mine did it until they replaced my evap valve. since then, never a stumble after filling.