Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is it worth it to do a LSD with a tight suspension?

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm new but have questions about the effectiveness of an LSD in very tight corners when the inside tire lifts. My understanding is that both tires must have road contact or the inside tire will still spin. Also how does an LSD interact with torque vectoring? I apologize if that has already been addressed.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Our cars tend to lift the inside rear tire but the fronts stay planted. Not sure on LSD technology unless were talking the other kind of LSD, but I've only seen FiSTs lift the inside rear unless we're getting real sketch and two wheeling them.

OP
Mike King

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Our cars tend to lift the inside rear tire but the fronts stay planted. Not sure on LSD technology unless were talking the other kind of LSD, but I've only seen FiSTs lift the inside rear unless we're getting real sketch and two wheeling them.
Every turbo FWD open diff car I've driven hard into corners, the inside tire unloads and spins like a MF under boost. When launching hard, the same open diff car will spin one tire that gets sticky then the other tire causing crazy torque steer. Before I put the ST drivetrain in my sedan, I need to know if an LSD is a worthy upgrade. If I tighten the chassis with tie bars and bigger swaybars, so the car corners flatter will an LSD help prevent that inside tire spin?

Every turbo FWD open diff car I've driven hard into corners, the inside tire unloads and spins like a MF under boost. When launching hard, the same open diff car will spin one tire that gets sticky then the other tire causing crazy torque steer. Before I put the ST drivetrain in my sedan, I need to know if an LSD is a worthy upgrade. If I tighten the chassis with tie bars and bigger swaybars, so the car corners flatter will an LSD help prevent that inside tire spin?
This happens with the Fiesta ST too. Though I only experience it really in autocross, not day to day driving. If I didn't auto-x my Fiesta, I would be content with the suspension and tires. I supposed it'd help in the winter, but I haven't had many issues since I'm on winter tires.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
A torsion style diff (MFactory, Quaife..) benefits from torque vectoring in the FiST because it locks the diff for us when the front inside wheel begins to slip in a turn. Once the diff locks, torque vectoring is no longer active and your brakes are spared. Normally you’d tap the brake with your left foot to lock one of these diffs but TVC does it for us.

OP
Mike King

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #7
A torsion style diff (MFactory, Quaife..) benefits from torque vectoring in the FiST because it locks the diff for us when the front inside wheel begins to slip in a turn. Once the diff locks, torque vectoring is no longer active and your brakes are spared. Normally you’d tap the brake with your left foot to lock one of these diffs but TVC does it for us.
That’s what I needed to hear. Thank you.