Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is the Fiesta ST an American Car?

I have a 2015 Corvette Stingray that has been a lifelong dream to own. I have had this car for five years. What I like about this car is that at the time it was aquired it was the "most american made car" in the USA, most USA made parts of an cars sold in the USA supposedly. Now I was wondering would you guys consider the Fiesta ST to be "an american car"? My understanding is Ford is an American brand. What do you guys think? Ger.

Technically, because it's an American car but I think the paper I received with my 2016 when I got it said like 73% of parts from Mexico and the engine from Britain so I'm not sure but don't really care either way anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
It was designed by Ford Germany . Its an American car in the sense its made by an American car company. Though honestly all cars made in American even are still a conglomeration of parts from all over the world. Trying to buy a car based soley on the premise of American made through and through sells one short on buying some great cars.

The FiST for instance its engine comes from the UK the body kit comes from the UK or Europe. Now the chassis is assembled in Mexico in a Ford Factory.
Its up to you and I do love the U.S. but as far as cars go I buy whats good and do not let nationlism get in the way.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It IS an American nameplate car, but yeah, if going by content, or where it was screwed together, no, it would not be considered a 'Murrican car.
But then again, Mehico IS in North America, so? [dunno]
Does not matter to me though, as I would never ever give the Nippon Giant a single penny of my coin, even if it were made in my back yard, with 150% U.S. sourced/manufactured parts. [wink] [nono]

DoomsdayMelody

I used to fret over whether or not something was American made, especially a bigger purchase like a car. I don’t anymore and it’s because of a supply chain class I sat in on.

Essentially the professor summated that America can’t be a production based economy unless we as a people are willing to sacrifice our quality of life. Additionally, the limited production infrastructure that do we have cannot support the production demands of large scale corporations like Ford unless they are specifically invested in by the corporation to be able to scale. Which is a long way of say that it’s basically wasting money.

America had production jobs in the 50s, 60s, and 70s because Europe and Asia were war zones and/or under reconstruction during this time frame. The world is a different and more peaceful place now, so barring a massive and destructive war, a la world war 2, it isn’t economically feasible for any company to make something in america using a majority of “American made parts”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Designed by Ford Germany, engine and trans made in the UK and all assembled in Mexico... It's a world car from an American brand, which is the best of all worlds to me... I work at the biggest computer chip company in the world at one of their dozens of campuses and I literally hear a half dozen different languages every day. If you aren't piecing together the best available options from all over the world, you are missing out on talent and/or reasonably priced quality labor. The FiST was made in the very oldest and very heavily continuously invested in plant in Hermosillo Mexico that has been there since the '60's. The local labor force is built on car production and has been handed down for a couple of generations now. I know some people say their FiST was poorly made, but most seem well put together, actually, but of course cheap parts used for an Econobox.

The FiST was in no way conceived by an American or even for the American market originally. Europe has had hot hatches for years and years while we have had them in states for a limited number of years. Like everyone else said, designed in germany, engine and gearbox in England. Those type of cars are doing so well across the pond they have even come out with the Focus ST Estate. That would be super cool for us here in the states, but are we going to get it? Nope. You know what I'm sure did get thought up and designed in America? The ST-Line, the poor excuse to use up some leftover parts before Ford officially kills the FiST and the rest of their passenger car line-up.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The FiST was in no way conceived by an American or even for the American market originally. Europe has had hot hatches for years and years while we have had them in states for a limited number of years. Like everyone else said, designed in germany, engine and gearbox in England. Those type of cars are doing so well across the pond they have even come out with the Focus ST Estate. That would be super cool for us here in the states, but are we going to get it? Nope. You know what I'm sure did get thought up and designed in America? The ST-Line, the poor excuse to use up some leftover parts before Ford officially kills the FiST and the rest of their passenger car line-up.
Actually we have had hot hatches in the states except they have come and gone in waves. We had Scirrocos, Pulsar NX2000’s AE86 Corollas,We have had numerous generations of GTI’s. Thing is every time gas goes down in price people forgot how expensive it was and start buying SUV’s a Trucks and Minivans and the next thing you know manufacturers phase them out. Only to return them several years later when gas prices skyrocket.
It’s quite interesting that Ford cut their car line this time and gas skyrocketed once again. Of coure now all kinds of people are also hung up on hybrids and some on EV.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I might add that the team that developed the FiST actually did have its origins in the U.S. in the 80’s as SVO one of their first products was 4 cylinder turbo Fox Body Mustang. They then turned into SVT and SHO
Later would merge with RS division in the UK.
So techinically there is a U.S. connection. Lol

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's not an American car.

But Grand Funk Railroad is an American band.

This little interview is one of the things that convinced me I wanted a FiST.

If you go to 1:40, the guy says that the FiST has a narrower gearbox than other cars using the B6.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI0aPrdP0d0

Dpro

6000 Post Club
It's not an American car.

But Grand Funk Railroad is an American band.

This little interview is one of the things that convinced me I wanted a FiST.

If you go to 1:40, the guy says that the FiST has a narrower gearbox than other cars using the B6.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI0aPrdP0d0
thats are own BRGT350 doing the interview!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I NEVER watched one video.....Just saw one and thought it was a Focus and walked up to it and looked at it. I Said this is a fu$king Fiesta!?!?! Are you kidding me!?!?! Went out the next week Test drove it and walked in and Bought it!

This list is considered to be the best researched information on the "most American" made cars today. The research not only takes the place of parts manufacturing and vehicle assembly into account, but also the overall impact to the U.S. economy. As the OP stated, the Corvette is #1. The Fiesta is #88.

2018 Made in America Auto Index

Intuit

3000 Post Club
^
It seems that if we want to buy domestic in an attempt to stimulate the supply chain and manufacturing sectors of the local economy, we'll need to buy trucks and SUVs.

F@#* that.

Next best thing is I can buy domestic nameplate in an attempt to keep more of the administrative service jobs over here. If we collectively buy enough, moving back more of the engineering and manufacturing jobs then becomes more feasible. (the reason trucks & SUVs are still here)

But as the rest of the world begins to want trucks and SUVs and regionally out-buys us, even that can go bye-bye.

People are free to buy what they want and what people want is to drive a status symbol... and right now, that's large vehicles.