Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is this a rust issue?

2015 FiST with 39k miles. Looks like the welds in the hatch are corroded or rusting? I can't really tell. Is this a serious issue or just purely cosmetic? Hard to tell if it is a rust issue or just due to poor paint from the factory.

Attachments

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
How big of a problem is this? Can it progress to the point where the car is unsafe to drive?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
As we all know, the Fiesta ST was primarily constructed by using parts from previous models to save money.
That rust was "Left-Over" inventory and you got some of it.

DoomsdayMelody

Maybe surface rust only. It doesn't look too bad.
Yeah, that's how rust always starts though.

How big of a problem is this? Can it progress to the point where the car is unsafe to drive?
Eventually, yes. Depending on your operating conditions that could be as far away from happening as a decade. If you're dailying it in the rust belt and putting on 20k miles annualy, I'd guesstimate you have 4-6 years before it becomes a significant issue. You could also talk to a body shop, but that would likely be out of your own pocket.

I'm pretty sure what you are looking at is not a weld, it's a type of bonding material (a type of glue) that joins those two pieces together. Might just try cleaning it up, should be good.

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
2015 FiST with 39k miles. Looks like the welds in the hatch are corroded or rusting? I can't really tell. Is this a serious issue or just purely cosmetic? Hard to tell if it is a rust issue or just due to poor paint from the factory.
That looks like where the paint is coming off the flexible seam sealer.