Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is this an excessive amount of leakage (halfshaft)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Most of my cars have either been old, italian, or both, so my thresholds for oil leakage are... different.

FiST is a 2017 with 14k miles, is this excessive? I cleaned it off about 6000 miles ago. I was down there looking again because I'm getting a whirring sound when rolling to a stop, took out my RMM to see if it was from that.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
I'm currently reading through a billionty pages of reports about axle seals, but there aren't any photos yet so I don't know if mine is excessive.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Mine were dripping all over before replacement. 30k later mine look like yours.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They had a seal Re-design along the way from what I've gathered from the last tech who did mine 2 years ago. I Haven't looked at mine lately but ill get pics just for shits tomorrow when I put on my summer wheels. [thumb]

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine look similar at 60K miles. I am not concerned. I shoot to change my transmission fluid every 30-40k miles and measure to be sure I am not losing anything significant.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Looks more like seepage than leakage.

Fluid level should be 1" or 20mm from the fill hole on the front-ish of the transmission.

Note, that at least some years weren't filled according to the refill instructions, and so will have 1.67L instead of ~2.1L. So if it seems low, that may only be due to the fact that the factory filled according to an incorrect spec, versus transmission capacity.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
They had a seal Re-design along the way from what I've gathered from the last tech who did mine 2 years ago. I Haven't looked at mine lately but ill get pics just for shits tomorrow when I put on my summer wheels. [thumb]
They went from a black rubber ring being visible on the outside to what the OP showed his as the metal ring. The first 2 times they replaced mine they leaked. There is a trick I'm told. 3rd time was the charm.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They went from a black rubber ring being visible on the outside to what the OP showed his as the metal ring. The first 2 times they replaced mine they leaked. There is a trick I'm told. 3rd time was the charm.

I've been told....alot of people install them wrong. This plays a factor also at the dealer. But with Clity's seal....I will say its just seepage and normal!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the input all - I'm going to try to check my trans fluid this afternoon because *something* is making noises and it's not RPM based, its vehicle speed based. I'm narrowing it down to wheel bearings or something transmission side. I have an innate distrust of dealerships.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for the input all - I'm going to try to check my trans fluid this afternoon because *something* is making noises and it's not RPM based, its vehicle speed based. I'm narrowing it down to wheel bearings or something transmission side. I have an innate distrust of dealerships.
Rightfully so.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Nope here are both of mine 50k .....35k after replacement.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My passenger side looks like the OP pic, maybe a little less at 35k mi (MY 2017). Driver side is dry as a bone.

Se7eN

I'm having similar issues, under load. Neutral it goes away for the most part and trans shifts fine. Hope you find out what it is.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
I'm having similar issues, under load. Neutral it goes away for the most part and trans shifts fine. Hope you find out what it is.
They wound up replacing both front axles - sorry i left the thread hanging unresolved :(

Ford Community Posts