Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is this silver piece supposed to be in gas filler opening?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I was in a very small fender-bender today, just a tiny impact to the left rear behind the filler neck. Now I'm getting paranoid, because when I look in the gas filler hole, I don't remember that silver piece being there. Maybe it pushes out of the way when you put the gas pump in, but I can't push it out of the way with my finger, and I haven't noticed it before. Now I'm worried that maybe I've bent something in the filler mechanism. I'm referring to the round silver piece in the very center where you would put the pump nozzle.
If someone could look in their gas filler hole and just confirm that that silver piece is there blocking the opening that would ease my mind greatly, thanks everyone.
If you can let me know if you can move it with your finger that would be helpful too. As I think about it, I guess if it is supposed to be there it's what seals the gas fumes in the tank so it wouldn't be easily moved.
IMG_20191230_225004460.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Thank you both so much for your quick responses, and especially for the picture and for going outside in the cold. It's just damn upsetting when you crunch your car, even a little bit, and this at least gives me one less thing to worry about. If I couldn't put gas in it I wouldn't be able to drive it until they fixed it.
I now feel better about the world that two of my kind fellow owners helped me out so quickly.

You are fine....now I'm cold and had to come out of my Cave.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Says E10... I'd never run these cars on that crap.. I have only ever put 98 premium in mine.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Says E10... I'd never run these cars on that crap.. I have only ever put 98 premium in mine.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
In the USA, we WANT to run E10 (rather than a 0% ethanol content fuel) due to the resistance to detonation of ethanol. Also, 98 in Australia is equivalent to 91-92 octane for us.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf-OYXlhJis

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Now I know the flap is supposed to be there, but I'm still concerned that I can't push it out of the way with my fingers. I'm going to head to the gas station soon and hopefully the pump will still fit in there. I'm hoping that it just takes the additional heft of the pump to move the flap.
Can anybody push theirs out of the way with just your fingers?

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
No, a finger won’t do it.
You can use the funnel that came with the spare to see if it’s still functional.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk
I went to the gas station, and the nozzle went in fine. It looks like it releases two tabs on the side which then allow the flap to open. Ford says that their capless gas tank is very resistant to gas stealing, and I guess this is part of the mechanism to make that happen. If you could just push it open with your finger it would be easy enough to siphon gas out of it.
Thanks for your response and the helpful suggestion about using the funnel.

koozy

3000 Post Club
One can still steal gas if for example they have on hand a funnel or tube of the correct dimensions. To eliminate the possibility I opted for a locking gas cap. It’s cheap enough at $20 and does the job. With various tunes, where I park the car, etc. just one less thing to wonder if someone siphoned or put sugar into the tank, mainly fuel tampering. Not likely, but it’s my middle finger to them if they try.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You can dump all the sugar you want into the tank of a car....it does nothing. BTW. Now....styrofoam peanuts. That a whole different gooey ball game. But you didn't hear it from me.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
One can still steal gas if for example they have on hand a funnel or tube of the correct dimensions. To eliminate the possibility I opted for a locking gas cap. It’s cheap enough at $20 and does the job. With various tunes, where I park the car, etc. just one less thing to wonder if someone siphoned or put sugar into the tank, mainly fuel tampering. Not likely, but it’s my middle finger to them if they try.

^^^EXACTLY! [twothumb]

dmb

You can dump all the sugar you want into the tank of a car....it does nothing. BTW. Now....styrofoam peanuts. That a whole different gooey ball game. But you didn't hear it from me.

I have seen sugar ruin a diesel engine, it turns to liquid in the fuel then solidifies in the combustion chamber ruining pistons,liners, heads, valves, injectors,fuel pumps, turbos, exhaust manifolds total junk all in about 100 miles.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Put sugar in numerous vehicles during cash for Clunkers for fun...couldn't get one engine to fail or quit running. We had one Buick run with The glass mixture in an engine with no oil and sugar in the gas tank for 3 hrs. outside. Not to mention we did just sugar for shits on 3 other vehicles all just kept running...hell we even drove some of them off the lot and test beat them to get them to die and they wouldn't die with Just sugar in the tank. These were all Gas powered vehicles mind you....so maybe diesel is different.

HBEcoBeaST

Our cars have a gap between the opening and where the fill tube to the tank are. Trying to add a fuel additive without the funnel resulted in it being dumped on my tire and ground. 'sabotaging' the gas would be hard without a funnel.

But I have to politely disagree about sugar in the gas tank. Anything gunky with the ability to burn or melt will ruin your motor if enough is added. Same with soda, paint, salt or other liquid than fuel. Even putting diesel or alcohol in the gas will ruin your internals. The fuel filter only does so much.

Expanding 'gap filler' foam is a much less subtle approach

But now we're brainstorming hypothetical scenarios where such actions would be called for in the first place

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Our cars have a gap between the opening and where the fill tube to the tank are. Trying to add a fuel additive without the funnel resulted in it being dumped on my tire and ground. 'sabotaging' the gas would be hard without a funnel.

But I have to politely disagree about sugar in the gas tank. Anything gunky with the ability to burn or melt will ruin your motor if enough is added. Same with soda, paint, salt or other liquid than fuel. Even putting diesel or alcohol in the gas will ruin your internals. The fuel filter only does so much.

Expanding 'gap filler' foam is a much less subtle approach

But now we're brainstorming hypothetical scenarios where such actions would be called for in the first place

NO...Sugar is POLAR and gasoline is NON-POLAR. Sugar will not dissolve in gas and will just sit in bottom of the gas tank. C'mon I'm not Bill Nye the science guy but this is simple Science here. But I am done trying to prove a point. Myth busters also proved this a while back also.

HBEcoBeaST

NO...Sugar is POLAR and gasoline is NON-POLAR. Sugar will not dissolve in gas and will just sit in bottom of the gas tank. C'mon I'm not Bill Nye the science guy but this is simple Science here. But I am done trying to prove a point. Myth busters also proved this a while back also.
Never did the sugar on a car, definitely fucked up a motorcycle. Maybe because the tank is on top?

Either way. Not really an avenue we need to go down

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Never did the sugar on a car, definitely fucked up a motorcycle. Maybe because the tank is on top?

Either way. Not really an avenue we need to go down

Most motorcycles are gravity feed with the fuel hose at the bottom of the tank. So the sugar will sit at the exit point of the tank and go to the carburetor. It still doesn't dissolve unless there's ethanol/water in the gas.

dmb

diesel tanks on trucks feed from the bottom too. Happy New Year to everyone Seal Beach Ca. is 72 degrees today lucky me.