Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Issues with gearbox

Hey guys
Gearbox developed an issue
Very hard to get into gear when warm
Sometimes you need to stop to get it in

3rd and 4th gear sounds like a supercharger sometimes

This gearbox too far gone?
Anything you recommend?
Was thinking of trying new gearbox oil even though it was only done 2 years ago
Thanks

Did you get it fixed?
If not swap fluid. And remove the shortshifter adapter. Try again. The adapter could be loose or creating slop in the shifts making it hard to get into gear. Gear oil is not everlasting, it should be regular maintenance. And with a whiney noise I could suspect metal is in the oil.

Is the whiney noise when in gear, or trying to go into gear? If it's going into gear it could be a sign of worn syncros or a clutch not releasing fully. If it's only in those two gears I'm most likely to believe it's syncros. If it's in all gears, clutch.

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
Did you get it fixed?
If not swap fluid. And remove the shortshifter adapter. Try again. The adapter could be loose or creating slop in the shifts making it hard to get into gear. Gear oil is not everlasting, it should be regular maintenance. And with a whiney noise I could suspect metal is in the oil.

Is the whiney noise when in gear, or trying to go into gear? If it's going into gear it could be a sign of worn syncros or a clutch not releasing fully. If it's only in those two gears I'm most likely to believe it's syncros. If it's in all gears, clutch.
Hey mate thanks for the message
The syncros were gone

The vehicle was always warmed up properly and it had new gearbox oil at 20k and 30k
It ended up going at 42k

Always rev matched and never really launched it

Another gearbox now.. mileage 42k

Not bothering with the ford oil anymore

Put some ravenol 75w80 in and this gearbox feels better than the old one did at 16k

The gearboxs are obviously pretty weak in my experience or the ford oil is way too thin for 300whp

Stkid93

Premium Account
How much would it cost to have a shop change out the gearbox oil this is something I’m looking at doing. The last time I had it done was in my mustang and I believe it was $150-$200 or somewhere in that range? but that was a long time ago

OP
L
Thread Starter #7
How much would it cost to have a shop change out the gearbox oil this is something I’m looking at doing. The last time I had it done was in my mustang and I believe it was $150-$200 or somewhere in that range? but that was a long time ago
Im in the UK dude 😉
Do it myself its an easy job
No idea on price

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They are severely ripping you off if they charge more than $50.00 labor if you supply the fluid, and about $90.00 if they supply the fluid. [wink]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Definitely do it yourself, it’s stupidly easy

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The gearboxs are obviously pretty weak in my experience or the ford oil is way too thin for 300whp
That's 50% over stock. I'm not so sure that TQ and HP are relevant to synchronizer operation though. Unless your flat-foot shifting, you're off the accelerator between gears anyway.

What is known to be particularly weak with this transmission, is the slave cylinder seals. It's a good idea to make sure that this isn't an issue an issue with the clutch hydraulics, not fully releasing, versus the transmission synchronizers.

Put your front wheels up in the air and push the clutch in. Still in first gear, do those wheels roll with the clutch in?

Prop up your cell phone outside the vehicle and start recording.

Last edited: