Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

JB4 Fiesta ST

I just saw the JB4 pop up on the Whoosh website and was wondering if there's anyone running one? It intrigued me because I know they offer ethanol sensor inputs which would automatically account for ethanol content. I was going to do more research into it before selling my AP, but I am leaning towards getting one due to the flexibility for ethanol.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I highly suggest you keep your Accessport and get a pro-tune. The JB4 is a piggy-back style module and offers nowhere near the customization that an Accessport can in a tune. You can get an ethanol sensor from Dizzy Tuning, and while I do not believe there is a way to get this to work directly with your tune (since you must map switch to change between 93 and ethanol fueling) is leagues better than the solution that JB4 offers. The JB4 is interrupting signals between the OEM computer and the sensors it attaches to, and IMO that is not the greatest way to get anything to work when a way to directly write to the ECU exists. Its fine for VWs and BMWs where flashing the ECU is extremely expensive and often interferes with other CAN-bus operated features in the car. The FiST is not like that and anything you can possibly want to / need to do can be done with an Accessport.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have a Genesis g70 as well as a Fiesta ST and In the g70 world they do not have access to an AP. They use piggybacks like the JB4.

Stay with the AP much better.
The AP allows you to have an actual tune, a piggyback just plays games with your car.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

My thoughts would echo those above.

However, the piggyback solution, if it were a concern for a car under warranty, would likely present a smaller "historical footprint".

The above said, I have used JB piggyback on some other cars and they were pretty fantastic. On certain cars, the difference can be very dramatic with almost no effort and very little cost. I guess we will have to see if that is true for the fist.

At one point I had two 340i and one of them had the simplest JB+ on it ($199) and the other one was stock, and lining them up....within a few seconds it was a major trip to Gapplebee's.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I understand they can add some power, but I just don't trust the idea of tricking the car to make more power.
I could add well over 130 ft lb of torque and 60 horsepower to my g70 with one I don't feel comfortable doing it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Yeah, not everyone likes to piggyback approach, which is why it is cool that we have options in many cases.

The "trickery approach" in certain applications has been proven out so many times without issue that the risk is probably no more than a tune (BMW B48/N54/N55 comes immediately to mind). Who knows if this will be true with the FiST......I guess we shall see.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I agree, it works just fine in all of those applications. However those applications: Hyundai, Kia, BMW etc do not have a readily available option for directly re-writing the ECU code to tune the car. Cars like the FiST, FoST, FoRS, STi, and Evo all have the capability to directly write to the ECU so there is no sense in doing the piggyback route.

All true @MagnetiseST. I agree 100%. The only thing the direct writing of the code has against it is that it is rather easily traceable......Not to be devious, but those with warranty concerns might need to consider this when deciding between the rewrite or piggyback route.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
A good technician can tell if you've plugged in a piggyback module as well. But the ECU wouldn't have a flash counter in it or anything. I'm definitely not saying its a bad idea, but I am saying that I feel the AP is a much better tool for the FiST than a JB4