Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

JBR Heavy Shift Knob Review

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Here are some pictures of the knob installed.

I wanted the heaviest and a taller then stock shift knob I could buy so I searched around and found this monster 500+g JBR heavy knob.

This knob is freaking awesome, combined with the Boomba shift adapter and bushing the shift action is so butter smooth and direct, easily my favorite interior mod so far.

I highly recommend this to anyone, I loved the Cobb knob but felt it was way too light. The JBR was $75 shipped in many different colors!

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=45_253_272

The install is very easy, and the height is somewhat adjustable using the adapter, the only part that was a bit time consuming was lining the shift pattern up correctly.

The install can be best summarized here, its for the Focus ST but essentially the exact some process.

[video=youtube;0h9DO3V2-FQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h9DO3V2-FQ[/video]

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I thought I was only one that hates the stock height of shift knob .
The stock knob is too light, too short and the shape is awkward at least for me. The COBB knob was a huge improvement but still too light even lighter then the stock one. I am in love with the JBR knob, it literally feels like a solid billet piece metal, it really smooths out the short shift adapters added knotchy-ness.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I do like the color options they offer. I love my 270 boomba knob. Can't imagine how a heavy one would feel.

Chai

I have the Boomba 370g oval installed. Temperature resistant..Great solid feel when shifting. I would love to get the JBR knob(if I had cash to throw around) because shift pattern and looks more resistant to scratches..

I had this on my mazdaspeed before it got written off, will be getting this again for my 2015 fiesta st.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great review. Anyone else have one of these? I'm about to pull the trigger but I'd like to hear more. I used a pretty weighty shifter on my TSX years ago and loved it.

FistSt215

Had a JBR heavy red knob on my old 2012 speed3 and love it . Still have it in my glove box lol.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Yeah............2 minutes after my earlier post I went ahead an ordered one. I am so happy with their catch can on my car, I figured I can't go wrong.

I was determined to keep the stocker but it must be made of plastic, it's so light.

I'll share some thoughts once it's installed.

As much as I love this knob and how I can easily shift with my fingers. I think it numbs shift feel due to it's weight. I might just go with a full delrin knob cause when it gets hot the knob is scorching. So much so that I take it off and hold it in front of the AC(while driving) in spurts since it's too hot to hold.

DP03

I am thinking about this shift knob. I used it on my EvoX and it greatly improved shift feel. Like the one above, its heavy and thats what helped the feel on the Evo. Aside from the price (!!) I love this look, without the shift pattern. If anyone is using this I'd be interested in hearing........

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shift-knobs/fordshiftknobs/ford-fiesta-st-shift-knobs.html

So I just switched over to a Buddy Club Type-A shift knob over the weekend and as I suspected, due to it being much lighter than the JBR knob it has a slightly more notchy feel to it, which I like. I'm just waiting for the Redline goods shift boot to come in so I can install the bushings on both the trans adapter and shifter base. The only other mod in regards to shift action I have on my car is the Boomba Transmission Adapter Plate.
I think that the JBR knob would make a great addition to an extremely notchy shifter or one that requires a lot of force to shift.