Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

JDG Build Thread (S280 Turbo, Full E85, Custom Parts & Rallycross Discussion)

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #121
Did I miss something?.... Why am I the first person to ask about the drift button on the oe handbrake?

details please
I only made one for me. It’s way more complex than other cars so I decided not to make a bunch and sell. I would say it is still in the R&D stage as it has broken once and now the body shop broke it again (which I literally found out today).

On another note, had a hour long conversation with the body shop this morning and they are going to redo the work or at least certain panels and the front bumper to try and blend it better. The front bumper is a completely different shade and super noticeable the more you stare at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only made one for me. It’s way more complex than other cars so I decided not to make a bunch and sell. I would say it is still in the R&D stage as it has broken once and now the body shop broke it again (which I literally found out today).

On another note, had a hour long conversation with the body shop this morning and they are going to redo the work or at least certain panels and the front bumper to try and blend it better. The front bumper is a completely different shade and super noticeable the more you stare at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad that's getting sorted for you, hopefully round 2 will be better.

Still very interested in the handbrake button, especially about learning more and how it works. By the fact that its breaking, that tells me its more complicated than just disengaging the lock.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #123
Update:

Got the car back early this week after being at the shop for nearly two months. The paint looks OK but overall just kind of done caring given the age/mileage of the car and it's main use. I drove it two days and on the second day (yesterday) transmission exploded going from 6th to 5th just cruising at 65mph on the highway. First day I had it back I was doing some highway rips and just enjoying the car the way I usually do. Guess it was just finally time for it to let go. The shop that had the car only put 4 miles on it and I had it in a low boost map of 15PSIG so I don't think the shop did any damage although the thought obviously crossed my mind.

Need to prioritize getting my LSD in the spare transmission and getting everything swapped over.

Still haven't decided what to do about a clutch but am leaning towards just going OEM again since all the good aftermarket options are incredibly expensive compared to the ~$100 OEM unit. Curious if anyone has any input.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Update:

Got the car back early this week after being at the shop for nearly two months. The paint looks OK but overall just kind of done caring given the age/mileage of the car and it's main use. I drove it two days and on the second day (yesterday) transmission exploded going from 6th to 5th just cruising at 65mph on the highway. First day I had it back I was doing some highway rips and just enjoying the car the way I usually do. Guess it was just finally time for it to let go. The shop that had the car only put 4 miles on it and I had it in a low boost map of 15PSIG so I don't think the shop did any damage although the thought obviously crossed my mind.

Need to prioritize getting my LSD in the spare transmission and getting everything swapped over.

Still haven't decided what to do about a clutch but am leaning towards just going OEM again since all the good aftermarket options are incredibly expensive compared to the ~$100 OEM unit. Curious if anyone has any input.
Cheap and cheerful - OEM replacement and toss the LSD in a new / used unit.

Curious to see what you find when you crack it open - see what the gears look like and how bad it's been mashed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When my clutch needs replacing, the only upgrade I would consider over the factory unit is the ST200 unit.

IF it were going to be exclusively a Rallycross/open track car, with little to no street/stop and go traffic use at all anymore, then I would consider the more radical clutch setups available (but yeah, big $$$$ involved there).

When my clutch needs replacing, the only upgrade I would consider over the factory unit is the ST200 unit.

IF it were going to be exclusively a Rallycross/open track car, with little to no street/stop and go traffic use at all anymore, then I would consider the more radical clutch setups available (but yeah, big $$$$ involved there).
Idk, I've heard great things about spec stage 3+ with OEM flywheel, that's probably the route I'll be going shortly.

My OEM clutch is toasted, my last trip to the drags it slipped the whole day in 3rd and 4th a little, and I couldn't do burnouts on the slicks, it'd just slip. :(

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Idk, I've heard great things about spec stage 3+ with OEM flywheel, that's probably the route I'll be going shortly.

My OEM clutch is toasted, my last trip to the drags it slipped the whole day in 3rd and 4th a little, and I couldn't do burnouts on the slicks, it'd just slip. :(

I know that some FiST owners have had some luck/success with the Spec products, but I personally am a bit wary of that company, given all of the failures/problems many have had with their products in the 4th gen LSx f body/y-body LSx communities.

Most avoided their stuff like the plague.
Yes, I know, ours is a radically different, and lower torque output platform, but still hard to get past the problems. [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was getting worried that when you were not on here for a while, you gave up on it, and sold it as is (or fixed it and sold it, like so many on here do).

Glad to hear you plan on fixing it and continuing on, and yeah, CONGRATS on the SWEET truck! [twothumb]

Beautiful truck ! I'm also looking forward to hear any updates with the fiesta.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Any updates?
I'm also curious about the handbrake button works. I'd love to have something like that.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #133
Any updates?
I'm also curious about the handbrake button works. I'd love to have something like that.
Slowly accumulating parts for the transmission. I think all I have left is the diff shims and a flywheel to aquire and then I will start tearing into the Fiesta.

The handbrake button was a bit of a bust. The plastic piece inside the OEM handbrake is junk and is not designed to be pulled out so need to redesign that to make it properly functional long term. It's likely too much work to actually sell it.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Slowly accumulating parts for the transmission. I think all I have left is the diff shims and a flywheel to aquire and then I will start tearing into the Fiesta.

The handbrake button was a bit of a bust. The plastic piece inside the OEM handbrake is junk and is not designed to be pulled out so need to redesign that to make it properly functional long term. It's likely too much work to actually sell it.
Hope you're back up and running soon!

Sorry for kind of reviving an old thread, I just wanted to ask after reading this over the last couple days, Is the lift your using just blocks? curious how that feels?

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #136
IMG_2585.jpg

There is a Wavetrac LSD in there; almost 4 years later...

My end float measurement is .07mm which seems a bit tight compared to my research on what people ended up with installing a Wavetrac LSD.

The factory shim measures between .45 and .55 (I mangled it pretty bad so it is hard to get a good measurement). It seems like my shim should be .21mm (.14mm preload + .07mm float) but from I can tell, most folks who installed a Wavetrac went with a .30mm shim. I reused the race on the geared side of the transmission because it showed no wear but given my tight measurements, I am contemplating installing a new race and taking the measurements again.