Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Just venting

I feel like venting, that means you poor souls will have to hear it. I just went to Discount Tire for a rotation and was given some bad news. My Yokohama S-Drives are apparently at 3/32" with only 15k on them. That is the worst wear life I've ever experienced on any tire in my life. Of course this comes right before Xmas when I've already spent every available dollar on gifts so now I'm a bit hosed. As previously mentioned in other posts, I recently relocated from fun driving Oregon to soulless freeway Texas, so my performance needs have changed somewhat. Any recommendations folks might have relating to a longer wearing, better value tire would be most appreciated. I'm also accepting cash donations and/or venemous spite directed at Texas roads.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I feel like venting, that means you poor souls will have to hear it. I just went to Discount Tire for a rotation and was given some bad news. My Yokohama S-Drives are apparently at 3/32" with only 15k on them. That is the worst wear life I've ever experienced on any tire in my life. Of course this comes right before Xmas when I've already spent every available dollar on gifts so now I'm a bit hosed. As previously mentioned in other posts, I recently relocated from fun driving Oregon to soulless freeway Texas, so my performance needs have changed somewhat. Any recommendations folks might have relating to a longer wearing, better value tire would be most appreciated. I'm also accepting cash donations and/or venemous spite directed at Texas roads.

Since your in Texas....I vote for Firestone Indy 500s....great tire....not very expensive also.

If you are still rolling stocker or 17s in general

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoYear=2015&autoModel=Fiesta+ST&autoModClar=

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Hypergram

1000 Post Club

Sorry to hear about your issue. I second what TyphoonFiST said about Indy500's. They're great tires for the cost. If you can, wider tires might also reduce wear (depending on how often you spin your tires) due to increased grip.

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
Sorry to hear about your issue. I second what TyphoonFiST said about Indy500's. They're great tires for the cost. If you can, wider tires might also reduce wear (depending on how often you spin your tires) due to increased grip.
I'm definitely leaning towards those. I almost got them last time but Discount Tire had a Labor Day sale on at the time. I'm still on stock wheels and suspension, what's the widest we can reliably clear? I'd definitely entertain the idea of wider since I have trouble getting traction on boost in 2nd as is.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm definitely leaning towards those. I almost got them last time but Discount Tire had a Labor Day sale on at the time. I'm still on stock wheels and suspension, what's the widest we can reliably clear? I'd definitely entertain the idea of wider since I have trouble getting traction on boost in 2nd as is.

I roll Firestone Indy 500s with around 340whp...stock size....they are Sticky for sure....but still let loose sometimes.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
My Yokohama S-Drives are apparently at 3/32" with only 15k on them. That is the worst wear life I've ever experienced on any tire in my life.
Just FYI I only got 8500 miles out of the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's with just street driving, so getting 15000 miles out of your S.drives doesn't sound too bad to me.
I'm currently using the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's, but they're fairly new so I don't know how long they're going to last. They do give up a little bit of the crisp turn in that the OEM Potenzas have.

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
I roll Firestone Indy 500s with around 340whp...stock size....they are Sticky for sure....but still let loose sometimes.

That's great feedback, thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm not pushing anywhere near those power numbers so I should be alright. One of these days I'll get there, it's a process!

OP
F
Thread Starter #8
Just FYI I only got 8500 miles out of the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's with just street driving, so getting 15000 miles out of your S.drives doesn't sound too bad to me.
I'm currently using the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's, but they're fairly new so I don't know how long they're going to last. They do give up a little bit of the crisp turn in that the OEM Potenzas have.
I'm second owner on this machine so this is the first set I've run all the way through. Thanks a ton for giving me some real world reference for setting my expectations. The wife's Outback definitely doesn't eat tires like this, but neither is it any fun to drive aside from road tripping or forest roads to BFE.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
If you're buying from Discount Tire, in the OEM size, the tire with highest recommendation, using their search tool and prioritizing treadwear, is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. 45,000 mile warranty. The Kumho Ecsta PA51 also has a 45,000 mile warranty. There are others on their list which their "tredwell" search tool says will last 2-3 years. If you buy the sticky tires everyone uses for track days and autocross, they will generally last 15,000 miles or less.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club

My stock front's only lasted ~8000 miles anyways. You should be able to fit 215/40/17 without issue. I'm looking at these myself. https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Falken&tireModel=Azenis+RT615K%2B&partnum=14WR7RT615KPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
That tire will not last long at all it's very aggressive. The OP definitely would not want those.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Yeah that is a fair point. I was more thinking about a good thicker tires in general

Last edited:

Erick_V

I currently have the 205/40/17 Indy 500's on OEM wheels, great tire for the price. They ride about as good as you're going to get on 17's, do just fine in the rain and are fairly quiet. If your FiST is mainly highway driven I would say these are a good balance between ride comfort, noise, wear and grip.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I got 50k out of my oem re50a tires. Its all in frequent rotation, maintaining pressure, and being smooth with the car. They are for sure on the wear bars. Loot at your treadwear rating on the tires you want. Try and find some that are above 280-300. My next set is probaby going to be g force sport comp 2's. The azenis are great, but i dont think i need lotus level of grip for a mostly street car. And i nees a bit better rain traction seeing as im moving to the chicago suburbs area soon.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You got that distance out of the tires because you drive insane distances.
I assume to get the high mileage that you do, you due a ton of straight highway / interstate driving.
My work truck is stop and go stop and go a set of tires is gone in 10,000 miles easy.
If I drove that truck on the interstate I could get 5 times maybe even 10 times the tire life.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got 50k out of my oem re50a tires. Its all in frequent rotation, maintaining pressure, and being smooth with the car. They are for sure on the wear bars. Loot at your treadwear rating on the tires you want. Try and find some that are above 280-300. My next set is probaby going to be g force sport comp 2's. The azenis are great, but i dont think i need lotus level of grip for a mostly street car. And i nees a bit better rain traction seeing as im moving to the chicago suburbs area soon.
I drove 1-2 miles a day for 6 months (plus a few 200mi+ road trips all highway) on my stock RE50As, they were worn out by 8,000 miles. I complained to Ford, they didn't do shit, said I was doing burnouts and stuff, so I bought Indy 500s. I would still have them if they existed in 215/40/17.

I have Kuhmo Ecsta PS31s right now, and while its not a bad tire, they have soft side walls and I don't like making quick maneuvers with them since they tend to sway. I will be looking at the Federal Evolution ST-1s soon

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Weird. I drive 28 miles one way to work. And took 2 trips to Oklahoma on them.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
You got that distance out of the tires because you drive insane distances.
I assume to get the high milage you do a ton of straight highway / interstate driving.

No most of my drive is on curvy back roads actually. Yes i do drive a lot, but you should still be getting close to the same milage unless youre actual driving habits, not the environment, are causing the wear, or its just a track toy, or something is out of whack.

Along with others, I also vote for the Indy 500s. I've driven a couple of thousand freeway miles, through heavy rain, and through the windy roads of NC, TN, and GA. The tires have been great.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Along with others, I also vote for the Indy 500s. I've driven a couple of thousand freeway miles, through heavy rain, and through the windy roads of NC, TN, and GA. The tires have been great.
They're definitely the best tires for the price point no doubt about that! Have them on my car

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pelotonracer2 EcoBoost Engine Upgrades 10